Windows 10: troubles activating W10 after MOBO change (and W10 edition change?)

Discus and support troubles activating W10 after MOBO change (and W10 edition change?) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Dear all, thanks in advance to anyone who will help. I recently had to change MOBO due to stupid me pouring tea on top of my desktop. I brought it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/thesmallangrydog, Dec 19, 2020.

1. troubles activating W10 after MOBO change (and W10 edition change?)

Dear all, thanks in advance to anyone who will help.

I recently had to change MOBO due to stupid me pouring tea on top of my desktop.
    I brought it to a computer shop who seems to have been very transparent and competent.
    The computer had everything installed already, but I got an alert on the bottom red of my screen telling me to activate windows.
    I tried the troubleshooting, tried to click on the "I recently changed hardware" but it never asks me to enter the credentials associated with my windows account.
    One peculiar thing I realized is that instead of W10 Pro, it now shows my edition as W10 Enterprise, and I honestly have no clue if this is due because of the motherboard.

In any case, the online tool doesn't recognize my system. I tried to be called by Microsoft and they asked me for a proof of purchase, but nfortunately I cannot find the receipt of the upgrade since I got it through my previous university.

Shall I just prepare a bootable usb key with the installation of W10 pro and reinstall everything and enter with my credentials, or is there any solution to avoid me all of this?

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/thesmallangrydog
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/thesmallangrydog, Dec 19, 2020
  2. miguelbau Win User

i changed mobo w10 asking to activate

i changed mobo w10 asking to activate

miguelbau, Dec 19, 2020
  3. Activation W10

The Activation Edition shows W10 Pro. The upgrade was from Windows 7 Premium. I cannot recall what I did when I changed to W10; I just followed instructions on screen and everything worked fine. It still works fine except for the activation messages.

I do not know difference between W10 Home and Pro; I am just a casual user.

What do I do now, how can I get a copy of W10 Home without having to buy? Do I have to install W7 again or what?

Regards

Terence Green, Dec 19, 2020
  4. Ubersonic Win User

troubles activating W10 after MOBO change (and W10 edition change?)

W10 activation and motherboard failure.

Hey, wasn't sure what section to put this in.

Motherboard died yesterday, managed to source a replacement but I believe I am correct in thinking that once I swap the board W10 will deactivate itself and demand I buy a new copy?

If so, would I be able to get around this by booting the system with a spare HDD, installing W7/8, upgrading to W10, then connecting the original drive (so the MB has been used/activated with W10)?

Thanks.

Ubersonic, Dec 19, 2020
Thema:

troubles activating W10 after MOBO change (and W10 edition change?)

1. troubles activating W10 after MOBO change (and W10 edition change?) - Similar Threads - troubles activating W10

2. Change of Hardware W10 Activation Help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change of Hardware W10 Activation Help: Hi,Anyone give me any pointers please.I basically upgraded everything except my hard drives. Just in case of issues as I have upgraded before.. I used a command-line thingy to ensure I was using a retail copy of windows 10 I knew I was but just to check!, and then went into...
  3. Change of Hardware W10 Activation Help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change of Hardware W10 Activation Help: Hi,Anyone give me any pointers please.I basically upgraded everything except my hard drives. Just in case of issues as I have upgraded before.. I used a command-line thingy to ensure I was using a retail copy of windows 10 I knew I was but just to check!, and then went into...
  4. Change of Hardware W10 Activation Help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. i changed mobo w10 asking to activate

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    i changed mobo w10 asking to activate: i changed mobo w10 asking to activate https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-changed-mobo-w10-asking-to-activate/684df42e-d54a-4649-b5ea-8942f3ebee56"
  6. Cannot Activate W10 after hardware change.

Cannot Activate W10 after hardware change.: Hi all! So you can understand the whole thing: I bought Win8 years ago, I had a product key, then upgraded it later to Win10. I had a hard time once back in that time, when I reinstalled it on a new HD, about how my Windows was activated; a person from MS support assured me...
  7. Changing W10 password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing W10 password: I am unsure whether my account is classed as Microsoft or Local How do I tell ? Under PC > my info it does give option to manage my account - so does that mean it is a Microsoft on-line account >? Now the main point - I'm confused over passwords. I can log into PC...
  8. Windows Activation after mobo change

Windows Activation after mobo change: Hi I have a legitimate version of Windows that I got many years ago as Windows 7. I have since upgraded this to Windows 10 and no longer have the CD with my product key stated on it - as I assumed my license was tied to my digital account. I have recently upgraded my mobo...
  9. W10 doesnt activate after HD changing

W10 doesnt activate after HD changing: I have been under w10 for 2 years on my laptop, I changed the HD to SSD and cannnot activate since then. I bought the computer with windows 10 preinstalled and I reinstalled it in a hurry 1 year ago. How can I activate ?...
  10. Changing my MOBO etc. will that KILL my W10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing my MOBO etc. will that KILL my W10?: I am presently running a FREE W10 which is fully up to date, upgraded from W7; I presently have a AMD CPU Powered MOBO etc. but plan to shortly install a NEW Intel CPU and MOBO and am concerned from some of the things that I have read - that this might trigger MS not allowing...