Windows 10: Troubles started when I installed German language support.

Discus and support Troubles started when I installed German language support. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I wanted to have keyboard support for multiple languages because I have been trying to study some of these languages and I wanted to be able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by HenryStock, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Troubles started when I installed German language support.

I wanted to have keyboard support for multiple languages because I have been trying to study some of these languages and I wanted to be able to reproduce the unique characters common in those languages. English is my primary language, but I have Czech and French modules installed and I wanted to install German or Deutch language support also, primarily for the keyboard....

Problems started after I had installed the Microsoft German Language support module on my desktop computer. The first thing that I noticed was that one of my apps when started showed German Language commands. The next thing that I noticed was at my first reboot of the system, the keyboard was set to "DEU". I only noticed it when my password kept failing. I changed the selection back to "ENG" and was able to log in, but that did not permanently change things back to default English. I went into Settings and Devices and attempted to set the default language back to English, but I have noticed problems with other applications. Visio started with German command bar titles. So did Chrome. and there have been other such instances that I cannot recall just now.

I do not want to completely uninstall German Language support, but I do want all my programs to assume that English is the original and default language. I am wondering if someone could guide me to making the appropriate changes to system settings to do that.

:)

HenryStock, Mar 31, 2019

2. Change User intreface language and keyboard from German to English

Hello nelson,

We regret the inconvenience. Let me assist you further.

In this case, there can be two possibilities:

• Windows 10 came preinstalled in your PC in German language.
    • A separate German Language Interface pack is installed.

Please be informed that if Windows 10 was preinstalled in German Language, you will need to download and install a language pack for English. OEMs can add language packs to localize PCs and devices for customers in different regions.

The interface, if it is entirely in German, you will have to rely on your intuition to navigate and apply the following changes in Windows.

1. Go to Start Menu and click Settings.

2. In Settings, select Time & Language, then
    Region & Language on the left pane, click Add Language on the right pane

3. Browse to language you want to add. Notice that languages are listed in alphabetical order according to the default Windows language, in this case English.

4. If the language you have selected has local variations, click the main language then select the one you’d prefer from subselection.

5. When you have added the languages you need it’s time to install the Language Packs. Select a language, click
    Options and click on Download.

6. Go back to Language Selection page. If you want to change the language of the user account you are currently using, select a language, click then
    Set as Primary.

7. To apply a display language change sign out from your user account and sign back in to Windows.

Next, you also need to add a different keyboard layout for English. Follow the below steps.

• Settings -> Time & Language -> Region & Language

In the dialog box, under Language area, click on English (United States)
    • Click on Options button. In the resulting dialog box, click on the Add a Keyboard. Now select the keyboard from the list provided.

Write to us with the updated status and the required information for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Mar 31, 2019
  3. can't access my windows french language pack or german language pack; it is installed, but does not show up on one drive, ubs, or hard drive

Hi kingchef,

If the Windows French language pack or German language pack were already installed on your computer, it should appear on the list of your Preferred languages. To check, just navigate to
    Settings > Time and Language > Region & language. Under Languages you'll see your
    Preferred languages. Kindly look into the list and check if both language packs appear.

If both languages appear on the list and you want to use it without changing the current Windows display language, then just add its keyboard. Follow these steps:

1. On the Preferred languages, just click the French or German language pack, then click
      Options.
    2. Click the plus sign to Add a keyboard.
    3. Select your preferred keyboard layout.

For more information about adding and switching between input languages, please checkout the link

Add and switch input and display language preferences in Windows 10

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Mar 31, 2019
  4. Jessen P Win User

Troubles started when I installed German language support.

Live mail and Picture manager comes in german after Windows 10 upgrade

Hi Hank,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

• Do you have German language pack installed on the computer?
    • From which operating system did you upgrade to Windows 10?

If you have German language pack installed then I would suggest you to switch to English language pack and then check if it works.

Please revert if you face any issues with Windows in future.

Jessen P, Mar 31, 2019
Thema:

Troubles started when I installed German language support.

1. Troubles started when I installed German language support. - Similar Threads - Troubles started installed

2. Windows is mixing english and german language

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows is mixing english and german language: Hey, so I had to reinstall my windows Windows 11 home once again have to do that like every 6 months or so cause it breaks on its own :D and I already did it 3 times in the past 2 days because always something corrupts with the installation, but now I got to a "stable" point...
  3. Cannot uninstall German Language pack

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot uninstall German Language pack: I bought a new laptop in Germany. But I am not using the German language. Wanted to remove the German language from the language tab. While it is present in the language shortcut, I cannot uninstall the German Language pack at Settings->Time & Language->Region & Language tab....
  4. Cannot uninstall German Language pack

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot uninstall German Language pack: I bought a new laptop in Germany. But I am not using the German language. Wanted to remove the German language from the language tab. While it is present in the language shortcut, I cannot uninstall the German Language pack at Settings->Time & Language->Region & Language tab....
  5. German characters when installing German application

in Windows 10 Customization
    German characters when installing German application: I use English Language United States, United States - International keyboard sometimes it appears as EN, and sometimes as EN-International on the right of the Taskbar and Region The Netherlands. I have a DVD with a German program/application. I have installed this...
  6. Updating troubles when I change 'Region' & 'Language'

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Updating troubles when I change 'Region' & 'Language': Q1: I change Region from 'China' to 'United States', change Language from 'Chinese' to 'English'. Some apps don'tupdate, even if i open a VPN. Q2: What are the differences of same edition win10 os in different countries? For example, CN vs US Q3: When a American man buys...
  7. I have german keyboard and only german language Windows. Still...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have german keyboard and only german language Windows. Still...: there are 2 layouts DEU and ENG in my taskbar. I tried to remove the ENG one because I dont need to switch with Alt-Tab anytime I hit the z and it types an y. But there is nothing to remove. German is the only layout. Germany is the region. I have one of those facepalm...
  8. English/German Keyboard-language issue

English/German Keyboard-language issue: Hello there. I've recently installed the German language keyboard onto my American keyboard. I've done this in the past on other computers and didn't seem to have an issue. I have this on my laptop currently, also no issue. However, only on this computer--my...
  9. German Language

German Language: My facebook is now in German - how do I get English back. Someone advices go to arrow top right of facebook s creen etc - problem is its all in German https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/german-language/74173b7a-7e2c-4893-8ab5-d337cd1fcd71
  10. windows 10 language , using english and german, continues to fail installing german speech...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 language , using english and german, continues to fail installing german speech...: hello I am wondering if anyone had this situation using windows 10, latest build, etc main language is US englisch, in addition I added the german language pack, works fine so far. but windows fails and retries to install the german speech recognition, it repeats that...