Windows 10: Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

Discus and support Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Recently while working on my laptop, i encountered a disturbance on my screen. Later on when i tried to restart my system, login page appeared as i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by {code learner}, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

Recently while working on my laptop, i encountered a disturbance on my screen. Later on when i tried to restart my system, login page appeared as i signed in the whole screen was covered in black. At first i thought it was a sudden shut down due to some error. but then i noticed the system was operating but screen was total blackout. i tried BIOS, restarting again. still no luck!!. Please help me out here.

:)

{code learner}, Jul 18, 2020

2. Black screen error

Hello,

There are several reasons why you are facing a black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

• Can you confirm to us if you are using a laptop or a computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What exactly were you doing when the error occurred?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? If yes, specify all of the steps that you have done.

As an initial part of troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps given on this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    . This will help you diagnose and rectify most of the known black screen concerns.

We will wait for your response.

Dhavelyn Mer, Jul 18, 2020
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    Black screen after Windows update.

Hi Crystel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Were you able to get to the desktop screen after you restarted the system?
    • When the screen was blank, were you able to see the cursor on the screen?
    • Did you get any error code or error message?

Please get back to us with answers to above questions, for us to suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Meanwhile, I suggest to try the steps mentioned in the article below and let us know if it helps.

We look forward for your reply.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Jul 18, 2020
  4. Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

Blank Screen

Hi Virginia,

Conflicts with third-party software and outdated graphic drivers are common contributors to the black screen issue that you're having. To isolate the said issue, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Are you getting any error messages before getting a blank screen?
    • Are you experiencing this when using a particular app?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer settings prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you refer to this
    article
    which talks about the steps you can take to resolve blank screen errors.

We'll wait for your response and assist you accordingly.

Angela Pun, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors - Similar Threads - Troubleshoot black screen

2. Blank screen on power on, resisting troubleshooting!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank screen on power on, resisting troubleshooting!: The screen stays blank after power on. I can log in blindly, as I get the startup sound and a beep when resetting graphics drivers.Previously the screen turning on was intermittent, so I tried a virus scan, troubleshooting tools, graphics driver updates/reinstalls and finally...
  3. Blank screen on power on, resisting troubleshooting!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank screen on power on, resisting troubleshooting!: The screen stays blank after power on. I can log in blindly, as I get the startup sound and a beep when resetting graphics drivers.Previously the screen turning on was intermittent, so I tried a virus scan, troubleshooting tools, graphics driver updates/reinstalls and finally...
  4. Blank screen on power on, resisting troubleshooting!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Blank/Black Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank/Black Screen: I was updating windows and then ran into a huge problem. When I turn on my PC it looks normal at first. Then it pops up with the a blue screen with time and date. Then I press enter and it goes to the login screen. From there the screen turned black after I try to login. Not...
  6. Blank/Black Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank/Black Screen: I was updating windows and then ran into a huge problem. When I turn on my PC it looks normal at first. Then it pops up with the a blue screen with time and date. Then I press enter and it goes to the login screen. From there the screen turned black after I try to login. Not...
  7. Blank/Black Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Black Screen Troubleshooter will fix Blank screen errors on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Black Screen Troubleshooter will fix Blank screen errors on Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]As a Windows user, you may have seen a Black screen while using your computer. It could have occurred during startup while running programs or during a shutdown. If you are facing this issue, then Microsoft has got you covered as they are now offering a Black Screen...
  9. Black screen + blank troubleshooting. HELP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen + blank troubleshooting. HELP: When booting up, a black screen appears with no mouse or icons. It stays like this. I force restart a couple of times and enter troubleshooting. After there are two options: restart (which doesnt help) or advanced options. When clicking advanced options, im faced with a blank...
  10. Troubleshoot black screen error

in Windows 10 Customization
    Troubleshoot black screen error: When working on my laptop, after a few minutes, if I don't hit a key, it will turn completely black., and then do it again and again and again. So annoying. I have no screen saver set on my laptop. I turned off for this reason. It drives me crazy. I am not a SW Engineer...