Windows 10: Troubleshoot Feature update install failures

Discus and support Troubleshoot Feature update install failures in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 is based on Windows as a service, where there are two updates released per year that brings new features to the OS. As of June 2019, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sumit-Windows Insider MVP, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Troubleshoot Feature update install failures

Windows 10 is based on Windows as a service, where there are two updates released per year that brings new features to the OS. As of June 2019, the latest release is Windows 10 May 2019 Update(Version 1903) and two releases are supported right now by Microsoft which are Version 1809 and Version 1803.

The forums encounter a lot of cases where the upgrade fails to install, usually with all the three methods enlisted later. This article gives a general idea on how to troubleshoot failures in these cases.

Methods

The primary method of Installing a feature update is Windows Update, which offers you an update namely "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 AMD64". When the update fails, you get an error code like 0xC1900101 beside the error code. The chances of Update failures using Windows update are quite high as if the Windows Update engine is damaged, the update would immediately fail.

The Second and third methods to Install a feature update are the Upgrade Assistant and Media Creation Tool. Both of these methods are more reliable than Windows Update. If an Update fails using Windows Update, you can try the methods listed below:

How to Update to Windows 10 May 2019 Update

Simply, just run the Media Creation Tool and select Upgrade this PC now.

Troubleshoot Feature update install failures db25b78f-ce71-4b13-97f2-b7b80ff26e18?upload=true.png

If the Media Creation Tool fails

If the Media Creation tool fails as well during the install of the update, it would roll you back to the previous OS. After this, you would get a screen saying similar to this. The error code and text would obviously vary. There can be a BSOD during the Setup as well, which is discussed later.

We couldn't update Windows 10.

Error code 0xXXXXXXX-XXXXX

Installation failed during the FIRST_BOOT phase while attempting the MIGRATE_DATA operation.

In these cases, troubleshooting is a bit tedious task to do. The references below explain this in detail and it is covered this in a compact manner.

Note the Error code

The error code in these cases is quite important in the analysis. Sometimes the error code is simple to interpret like 0x80070070 - 0x50012, which clearly indicates a free space issue. The common errors and their resolution is given on the Microsoft Docs page which is a quite handy guide for novice users as well. There is not a guarantee that the error code and the resolution would make the update successful next time, but it is worth giving a try.

If the error code isn't mentioned on the Microsoft docs page, you would have to interpret it manually. In this case, the last 4 digits of the error code from 0x8007XXXX or 0xC190XXXX should tell you what the exact issue is. Errors starting with 8 can be interpreted on the Win32 error codes page and errors starting with C can be interpreted on NTSTATUS values page.

Standard Upgrade Failure troubleshooting steps

If the error codes do not give you a hint on where to go, log file diagnosis might be needed which I would discuss later in the article. Before that, the standard steps which can be used are as follows:

• Make sure the PC passes the compatibility check.
    • At least make sure there is a 16 GB Free Space on the OS drive. See here if you get "we couldn't update the system reserved partition"
    • Make sure all drivers are updated, especially the Video driver.
    • Peripheral drivers are also one of the common reason for upgrade failures. Disconnect everything except Keyboard, Mouse, and display.
    • Correct drive corruption on C: drive (Reference)
    • Disable/Uninstall Security Software
    • Ensure BIOS is updated.
    • Try installing the feature update in Clean Boot mode (How to perform a clean boot in Windows.)
    • Remove the unnecessary features in Windows you do not use, like IIS which is a common cause. See this tutorial here.
    • Make sure to install the latest cumulative updates before.

If the update fails even after all of these, you would need to submit the logs to us. Start a new question with the following information:

1. The Panther logs. Files named Setupact.log and Setuperr.log from the following path C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther
    2. The Rollback logs: These usually are created if Windows Update rolls back. Files named Setupact.log and Setuperr.log from the following path C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback
    3. [Only if the error code is 0xC1900101] The Device Install Log from C:/$Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupapi\setupapi.dev.log
    4. If there is a BSOD, i.e. Blue Screen of death, share the crash dump from C:/Windows/Memory.dmp. ZIP the file before upload.

You would have to copy these files to the desktop first and then upload to Onedrive or a file-sharing website with a link to us. Please do not leave the links in the comments below as this might not be monitored.

References:

1. Resolve Windows 10 upgrade errors : Technical information for IT Pros

2. Quick Fixes

3. Log Files and Resolution Procedures

4. Update to Windows 10 May 2019 update manually

:)

Sumit-Windows Insider MVP, Jun 18, 2019

2. windows 10 update installation failure

Hi Tjun,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

The error code 0x80004005 indicate that, Sending and receiving updates operation failed.

This issue may occur if you are using Norton AntiVirus with the script blocking feature enabled.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Disable the third party security program, if install in your system.

Step 2: Run Windows update troubleshooter.

Follow the below steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search area on the taskbar and select
      Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Shared Folders.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jun 18, 2019
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Jun 18, 2019
  4. 3Colors Win User

Troubleshoot Feature update install failures

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Troubleshoot Feature update install failures :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jun 18, 2019
Thema:

Troubleshoot Feature update install failures

1. Troubleshoot Feature update install failures - Similar Threads - Troubleshoot Feature update

2. Troubleshoot Windows 10 Installation Failure 2023

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Troubleshoot Windows 10 Installation Failure 2023: I will give you all possible steps to troubleshoot Windows installation failure that I've given to thousands of others in this situation and which work in about 90% of cases. If not we'll go from there: 1 Follow the gold standard Clean Install steps in this tutorial which...
  3. Feature update is not installing

Feature update is not installing: The updates in my HP laptop is not installing. Says something went wrong. Its been a month since its doing this and still not resolve by Microsoft. What the heck is happening? I need to fix it....
  4. Windows 10 Update failure + Update Troubleshooter failure - UPDATE

Windows 10 Update failure + Update Troubleshooter failure - UPDATE: After almost 2 hours, the blue screen cleared and I was able to login to my laptop.However, the Windows 10 Update DOES NOT WORK - I have no idea what the Update Troubleshooter did or didn’t do to my system in the past 2 hours.I still CANNOT Update Windows 10, the latest...
  5. Windows 10 Update failure + Update Troubleshooter failure

Windows 10 Update failure + Update Troubleshooter failure: Windows 10 Update failure - now all I have are Update Error 0x800f0831 AND now after running the Update Troubleshooter as recommended by Microsoft a blue screen with the message “Getting Windows ready Don’t turn off you computer” for the last 60+ minutes on a frozen laptop.I...
  6. Installation and update failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installation and update failure: I download the program and 107Gb of data OK. Then I start the program and it starts the big free update and crashes halfway through on the same place every time. First question - Do I need a good graphics card just to download these things? I hoped to install it all with my...
  7. Windows Update "something went wrong" and troubleshooter failure

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Update "something went wrong" and troubleshooter failure: Apparently another W10 feature update was attacking my computer a short time ago this evening. During a restart it told me this was what it was doing. After booting back up, I wanted to see what changed. I opened "Windows Update" in Settings; but it would not load. "Windows...
  8. Windows 10 (feature) update failures

Windows 10 (feature) update failures: Windows updates is trying to push feature updates (failing for months) for an AMD-64 platform, but I have an intel Core i7-4770 64 system. Is there a fix for this?...
  9. Win 10 Features update Failure

Win 10 Features update Failure: I have an older Dell Inspiron 11 3174 Laptop. It was turned off for awhile (about a year) because I bought a new Acer). I have decided to sell the Dell. Multiple problems ensued. First I was unable to do a reset or wipe, it started out fine, got to around 84 or 85% and...
  10. feature update failure

feature update failure: {AE2980EB-9FF6-48DA-B658-1C6E6B6F1035} 2019-05-11 09:46:56:343-0400 1 182 [AGENT_INSTALLING_FAILED] 101 {893BCEED-79B1-4B2E-86C8-AA1B43C978A2} 1 800703f1 UpdateOrchestrator Failure Content Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. troubleshoot windows upgrade failures