Windows 10: Troubleshoot: Shut down pop up stops windows from functioning

Discus and support Troubleshoot: Shut down pop up stops windows from functioning in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Good Day. My laptop keeps giving me a pop up or dialog box saying shut down , restart or sleep all apps will be closed ....If an app is open or browser... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ElizabethMazivise, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Troubleshoot: Shut down pop up stops windows from functioning

Good Day. My laptop keeps giving me a pop up or dialog box saying shut down , restart or sleep all apps will be closed ....If an app is open or browser window, windows 10 closes the app on it's own and this pop up shows up. I have to press and hold ALT in order for this pop up to stop closing my tabs. If I don't hold ALT my mouse and keyboard don't work because of this pop up. Please assist because it is really annoying and I can not do anything because of this windows shut down thing

:)

ElizabethMazivise, Feb 9, 2021

2. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Feb 9, 2021
  3. SHUT DOWN / SLEEP FUNCTIONS NOT WORKING

Hi Mo,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern. I will do my best to fix the issue.

To assist you better, please provide us more information.

• What is the model number of the laptop?
    • When you say ‘’trying 4 options to enable a shut down’’ which option do you exactly refer to? Are you using any third party software to shut down the computer?
    Meanwhile, let’s try simple troubleshooting steps on sleep mode issue and check if this helps in resolving the issue.

Method 1

I recommend you to uninstall/reinstall the display adapter driver and check. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device manager

• Locate for display adapter and click on it to expand.

• Right click on the device and click on
      uninstall

• Once you are done uninstalling the driver, restart the computer. It will automatically install the generic display adapter driver.
    If this doesn’t help to fix the issue. I suggest you to update the display adapter driver. Skip step3 from the above steps and right click on the
    device and click on update.

Method 2.

If the above method did not help to fix the issue, I would suggest you to
    go to the computer manufacturer website and download the latest display adapter driver. If the display driver is not available for Windows 10, try installing the available driver in compatibility mode and check.

• Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select Properties.

• Select Compatibility tab.

• Check Run this program in Compatibility mode.

• Let the driver install and then check the functionality.
    Hope it helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Feb 9, 2021
  4. Troubleshoot: Shut down pop up stops windows from functioning

Broken Shut Down Function

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have an issues with shut down function after upgrading to Windows 10. We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

• Do you get any error message/code?

I suggest you to boot the computer in Safe Mode and check if you face the issue in it. To do so refer the steps below.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

Note: The above article holds good to Windows 10 also.

If the issue does not persists in Safe Mode, I suggest you to perform a
    Clean Boot and check which is the third party application that is causing the issue.
    This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Keep us posted on the issue to assist you better.

Sudheendra S, Feb 9, 2021
Thema:

Troubleshoot: Shut down pop up stops windows from functioning

1. Troubleshoot: Shut down pop up stops windows from functioning - Similar Threads - Troubleshoot Shut down

2. "Shut Down Windows" screen pops up randomly/frequently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Shut Down Windows" screen pops up randomly/frequently: The "Shut Down Windows" screen has started showing up randomly/frequently requiring me to X out before the program will continue. How do I get to stop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shut-down-windows-screen-pops-up/b4d89d67-cac1-4375-aedb-b2cc80cbba2a
  3. "Shut Down Windows" screen pops up randomly/frequently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Shut Down Windows" screen pops up randomly/frequently: The "Shut Down Windows" screen has started showing up randomly/frequently requiring me to X out before the program will continue. How do I get to stop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shut-down-windows-screen-pops-up/b4d89d67-cac1-4375-aedb-b2cc80cbba2a
  4. How to stop windows from automaticly shutting down?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to stop windows from automaticly shutting down?: So I want to keep my computer running 24/7, no updates, no restart, nothing. It keeps on popping up windows restarting in 10 minutes and I use "shutdown -a" but that gets me so far. All my power setting are never going to sleep or turning off. Is there anything I can do for...
  5. Windows pops up windows, shuts down or sleeps for no reason, help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows pops up windows, shuts down or sleeps for no reason, help!: Hi, I've been having several issues and I cannot resolve them. First every here and then windows pops up what you see in the screenshot the speech recognition thingy in upper middle, the search bar, the settings and the search displays on the right side all at once, I don't...
  6. Windows pops up windows, shuts down or sleeps for no reason, help!

Windows pops up windows, shuts down or sleeps for no reason, help!: Hi, I've been having several issues and I cannot resolve them. First every here and then windows pops up what you see in the screenshot the speech recognition thingy in upper middle, the search bar, the settings and the search displays on the right side all at once, I don't...
  7. Windows pops up windows, shuts down or sleeps for no reason, help!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. PC Shuts Down After UAC Window Pops Up.

in Windows 10 Customization
    PC Shuts Down After UAC Window Pops Up.: I have just installed windows 10 on my laptop, and I'm having this issue where every time an application requires admin permissions, or the user account control window pops up, my laptop completely shuts down....
  9. Window shut down pop up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Window shut down pop up: [ATTACH]Everytime when I play a game this pops up. Is this an update thing or is it a virus? If it is virus please help. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/window-shut-down-pop-up/47de3079-9422-4471-8ae9-6240e1d50db5
  10. Stop Cortana from popping up

Stop Cortana from popping up: Cortana constantly pops up without being prompted. Even when I just want to click on an app in the taskbar to bring it into focus. My habit of browsing is to use one finger to move the mouse on the touchpad and one finger resting on the left click button. I've gone into my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shutdown windows 10 box keeps popping up