Windows 10: Troubleshooting broken file/drive sharing over LAN

Discus and support Troubleshooting broken file/drive sharing over LAN in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello Microsoft Community,To start this headache off let me explain what me end goal is here. I have a NAS server hosting my PLEX media library and, up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WesleyMickna, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Troubleshooting broken file/drive sharing over LAN

Hello Microsoft Community,To start this headache off let me explain what me end goal is here. I have a NAS server hosting my PLEX media library and, up to this point, had the UHD Blu-Ray drive for adding movies directly connected to it. I've rearranged things now and the server is consolidated by itself and the blu-ray drive is now connected to my PC in the living room. Both systems have Network discovery turned on under "Private" and also have Password protected sharing turned off under "All Networks".I would like to either,A. Share/Map the BD drive to that the software on the NAS server c

:)

WesleyMickna, Jun 5, 2021

2. cannot open files on network shared drive

Is the remote shared folder mapped? Do you have a drive letter assigned to it?
    I'd suggest calling the software developer and asking them.

thebluebumblebee, Jun 5, 2021
  3. Sharing Broken

OK, here's the details of my little home network:

Desktop PC:
    • Name - RAVEN
    • OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit (1803 17134.228)
    • Network - Ethernet connection to WiFi router
    • IP - Static 192.168.0.100
    Laptop PC:
    • Name - COYOTE
    • OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit (1803 17134.228)
    • Network - Wireless connection to WiFi router
    • IP - Static 192.168.0.102
    Prior to the latest update which MS forced upon me, file sharing had been working flawlessly for years. Not so any longer...

To the best of my understanding, I have diligently followed Brink's excellent tutorial: Share Files and Folders Over a Network in Windows 10

However, it just doesn't work. Here's what I've done so far on both machines:
    • File Sharing Wizard On
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication and Function Discovery Provider Host set to automatic.
    Question 1: Even though both services are set to automatic, the Function Discovery Provider Host doesn't start after a reboot. If I manually start the service, the machines can see each other on the network. I have never encounter a situation where a service set to automatic does not start. Ideas???

I have also:
    • Turned on network discovery
    • Turned on File and Printer Sharing
    • Turned on Public folder sharing
    • Turned off password protected sharing
    • Set file sharing connections encryption level to 128-bit
    Actually, all of these settings carried forward from before when file sharing worked.

I have tried all the methods in Brink's tutorial to create shares on both machines. In File Explorer I can see both machines under Network. I can also see the shares on a given machine from that machine. However, if I tried to view a share on the other machine, I receive an error.

Troubleshooting broken file/drive sharing over LAN [​IMG]

As usual, the Troubleshooter never resolves the issue.

Question 2: Any idea how to fix this so file sharing actually works (the way it used to before MS *Mad)?

claytoncarney, Jun 5, 2021
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Troubleshooting broken file/drive sharing over LAN

Good LAN party games?

Most of my suggestions have already been listed.

However, I found Swat4 to actually be a pretty fun LAN game, especially at smaller LAN parties.

newtekie1, Jun 5, 2021
Thema:

Troubleshooting broken file/drive sharing over LAN

1. Troubleshooting broken file/drive sharing over LAN - Similar Threads - Troubleshooting broken file

2. Troubleshooting Wake On Lan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubleshooting Wake On Lan: I’ve been spending my sunday trying to figure out why Wake on Lan won’t work on my Razer Blade 2015 running Windows 10 19044.2130. I’ve tried all the steps in https://thegeekpage.com/wake-on-lan-not-working/ guide to no success. The manual for the laptop describes it as...
  3. LAN file sharing too slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LAN file sharing too slow: The problem is very old i found reports from 10+ years, with hundreds of "copypaste" and generic anwers from microsoft over several websites and this forum, why no one ever cared enough to fix this, or at least tried to look into it?!?!Comparing a large file 20GB...
  4. LAN file sharing too slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    LAN file sharing too slow: The problem is very old i found reports from 10+ years, with hundreds of "copypaste" and generic anwers from microsoft over several websites and this forum, why no one ever cared enough to fix this, or at least tried to look into it?!?!Comparing a large file 20GB...
  5. LAN file sharing too slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. File sharing on LAN suddenly stopped

File sharing on LAN suddenly stopped: My two desktops on the same LAN, connected to the same router, suddenly stopped being able to share files. It was working just a few days ago. Let's day, the desktops are "A" and "B", and the router name is "R" Both pc sees two media devices, Computer "A" and Router "R",...
  7. Real-time protection seems to cause issues with file transfer over LAN to shared drive.

Real-time protection seems to cause issues with file transfer over LAN to shared drive.: Hi All, I have a pendrive connected to my router USB port that I use to share files with another computer on my home LAN. Specifically, I record on computer A mp3 files dictation files that I copy to the shared drive and then access over the LAN from computer B....
  8. Sharing USB port over LAN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing USB port over LAN: In our medical organization we bought these graphical tablets for our doctors. They will be used to sign documents of our patients. One tablet for each cabinet. Problem is, there are 2 PCs. We connect the tablet to one PC and would like other PC to have access to it as well....
  9. File sharing over LAN

File sharing over LAN: I am wondering if it is possible to share files over the LAN for specific users on 2 computers in my network? I can't seem to do what I need to do. Anyhow, this is the setup: 2 Windows 10 computers connected by ethernet cables to the same modem / router. (I am at home and...
  10. LAN file sharing

LAN file sharing: I want to file share between my desktop computer, which has an ethernet connection to the router and my laptop which is connected by wifi. The desktop connection is called N***** 6 and the wifi network is called B*********R. The laptop can't "see" the desktop and vice versa....