Windows 10: Troubleshooting Computer discovery issue

Discus and support Troubleshooting Computer discovery issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a friend (really!) that wants to file share 2 Win10 ver. 1909 computers. Computer A sees Computer B and can/does share folders correctly. But... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Biff2020, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Biff2020 Win User

Troubleshooting Computer discovery issue

I have a friend (really!) that wants to file share 2 Win10 ver. 1909 computers. Computer A sees Computer B and can/does share folders correctly. But Computer B can not see/connect to Computer A - command : \\computer A fails. I have try many suggestion regarding settings in: services, DNS, ipconfig, Win updates, Network discovery, etc. But I am look for additional troubleshooting tricks to resolve why computer B does not see computer A. We can ping successfully in both directions. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

:)

Biff2020, Mar 20, 2020

2. updates messed up my network discovery and now my other network computers and hp printer not discovered

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you and We apologies for delay in responding.

This issue might occur due to incorrect settings. I would suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

For each of the machines experiencing this behavior, will you please perform the following:

Step 1: Ensure Network Discovery is enabled.

• Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings
    • For each Network Category (Public, Private, Domain) you wish to have the feature enabled, click the arrow to the right of the category to expand it, and select “Turn on network discovery” & check “Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices”
    Step 2: Ensure that Network Discovery is allowed inbound in the Windows Firewall (in addition to any other firewall in use).

• [Windows Key + R] > Firewall.cpl
    • Click “Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall” in the left pane.
    • In the Allowed apps and features scroll box, find “Network Discovery”.
    • Make sure it is checked for all of the Network categories that you have enabled.
    Step 3: Ensure the necessary services are started.

• [Windows Key + R] > Services.msc
    • Base Filtering Engine(BFE)
    • Computer Browser(Browser)
    • DHCP Client(DHCP)
    • DNS Client(DNSCache)
    • Network Connection (NetMan)
    • Network Location Awareness(NLASvc)
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)(RPCSS)
    • Server(LANManServer)
    • SSDP Discovery (SSDPSrv)
    • TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper (LMHosts)
    • Workstation(LANManWorkstation)

Step 4: I would suggest you to run Home Group troubleshooter and see if that helps.
    • Click Start and type troubleshooting in the search box.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Run HomeGroup troubleshooter.
    Let us know the update after you try the above steps.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Mar 20, 2020
  3. Yu Huang Win User
    SSDP Discovery missing from Services.msc

Hi Expert,

Is there anyone could explain why the SSDP discovery service is missing from my WIN7 computer?

I am trying to turn on the network discovery, but it sees didn't work, then I following the Microsoft KB suggestions to start the below services:

• DNS Client
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication
    • SSDP Discovery
    • UPnP Device Host
    when I trying to start SSDP Discovery, I found the service is just missing from my computer, I got no idea about that.

I checked in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlset\Services\, no any key about the SSDP discovery service, then I export the KEY from one normal WIN7 PC, import to the one which got network discovery issue. But seems it's not working, I still cannot find the SSDP
    Discovery service in services.msc.

I have google so many troubleshooting, none of them worked for me. Please suggest,thanks!

Yu Huang, Mar 20, 2020
  4. Yu Huang Win User

SSDP Discovery missing from Services.msc

Hi Expert,

Is there anyone could explain why the SSDP discovery service is missing from my WIN7 computer?

I am trying to turn on the network discovery, but it sees didn't work, then I following the Microsoft KB suggestions to start the below services:

• DNS Client
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication
    • SSDP Discovery
    • UPnP Device Host
    when I trying to start SSDP Discovery, I found the service is just missing from my computer, I got no idea about that.

I checked in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlset\Services\, no any key about the SSDP discovery service, then I export the KEY from one normal WIN7 PC, import to the one which got network discovery issue. But seems it's not working, I still cannot find the SSDP
    Discovery service in services.msc.

I have google so many troubleshooting, none of them worked for me. Please suggest,thanks!

Yu Huang, Mar 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Troubleshooting Computer discovery issue - Similar Threads - Troubleshooting Computer discovery

2. Troubleshooting issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Troubleshooting issue: Hello, So I am having this problem with troubleshooting. If I try to to troubleshoot any program like a player or a game it shows "An error occurred while troubleshooting" but if I go to settings>update & security>troubleshoot I can troubleshoot the system programs. Please...
  3. Troubleshooting issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Troubleshooting issue: Hi Team, I login my hp laptop but its automatically moved to"choose your keyboard layout" and i selected "US" Then i have the two options "Troubleshoot" and "Turn off your PC" if i click "Troubleshoot" its shows six advanced options they are "Startup Repair" "Command...
  4. Network Discovery Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Discovery Issues: Hello. I have 3 windows 10 computers on my local network and for the life of me i cant get them to see each other on the network so i can share files. i have changed function host to automatic delayed start and smdk 1.0 is disabled on all computers. what else can i do??...
  5. New computer network discovery problem

New computer network discovery problem: I have a wireless home network that involves a desktop running Windows 7 and 2 laptops running Windows 10 Home, version 10.0 18362 Build 18362. Everything works good between these 3 computers. I have tried to add a 3rd Laptop, also running Windows 10, and there is where my...
  6. Network Discovery Issues

Network Discovery Issues: My computer has been having issues maintaining an internet connection when I use my phone as a hotspot with a cable or as wifi. I tried a few things that others found helpful and have made the issue worse. Control Panel> Network and Internet> Network and sharing Center...
  7. Windows 10 Network Discovery Issues

Windows 10 Network Discovery Issues: Hi All I have two computers connected through a router. Before the Windows update that removed the HOMEGROUP, both were connected to the homegroup and I could share files easily between them without any problems. After the update however, the computers are having trouble...
  8. Network discovery - Windows computers missing

Network discovery - Windows computers missing: I know this question has been asked (and answered) many times but I'm still confused. I understand that some kind of discovery process that Windows used to local other Windows devices on a LAN depended on SMB 1 and that is disabled by default in Win10. And that is fine with...
  9. Computer Not Showing Up in Network Discovery

Computer Not Showing Up in Network Discovery: So, I have had this issue since 1709 and 1803 hasn't fixed the issue. So I have a Mac Pro set up as a server, and on my Surface I can see the shares and access it just fine. But when I go to my Gaming Computer which is all connected to the same network it can't seem to find...
  10. Network Discovery not finding computers consistently

Network Discovery not finding computers consistently: Small business with 2 Windows 10 and 2 WIndows 7 systems. Also a server running 2012sbs. From the Windows 10 systems, when we click on Windows Explorer, and then Network, the server sometimes shows up and sometimes doesn't on one system, and NEVER shows up on the other....