Windows 10: Troubleshooting Failure to Read SD Card/Recognize SD Card Reader

Discus and support Troubleshooting Failure to Read SD Card/Recognize SD Card Reader in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Very frustrating trying to figure out the problem. Installed 32GB Class 10 SD Card... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Curmudgeon10, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Troubleshooting Failure to Read SD Card/Recognize SD Card Reader

Very frustrating trying to figure out the problem. Installed 32GB Class 10 SD Card https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J1G261N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in Game Camera, formatted per instructions and set the unit outside. Just retrieved it, and tried to access files on the SD Card with my HP Envy PC Windows 10/64 Bit.

Stuck the card in the built-in SD Card Reader slot. Nothing happened. Checked Device Manager; everything "working normally," driver is up to date.

Next, followed the Game Camera instructions: connect game camera to PC via USB cable. Game Camera display will indicate first, "MSDC," then PC "will recognize SD Card," and files will be shown. "MSDC" does appear briefly on Game Camera screen, but then Windows displays error message, "USB Device cannot be recognized." Camera screen then goes to a green blank, and camera can only be turned off by removing the camera batteries.

Next, I acquired an ANKER SD Card Reader https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006T9B6R2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1that plugs into the PC via USB. Again, plugging in with and without the SD Card inserted, the PC makes no change: no recognition even that a memory device has been plugged into a USB Port. Tried the ANKER SD Card reader, with and without the SD Card in a Chromebook. This produced the same result as the PC, i.e., nothing --- so at least as regards the ANKER device, I began to suspect it was defective.

Ordered a new SD Card Reader different brand and a new SD Card different brand. They haven't arrived yet.

Whenever I tried a USB Port, I tried all of them on the PC.

I posted a question on the HP Forum and got a lengthy response about proprietary formats on SD Cards and various incompatibilities. Advice seemed to be to examine the cards properties using Disk Manager. How do you examine a card if it never shows up in Disk Manager?

How can I zero in most efficiently on what the issues might be?

:)

Curmudgeon10, Nov 15, 2020
  2. arjfca Win User

Internal SD card reader not recognized

Hello

This is an old problem.

I got an internal all in one reader. The USB port is working but the sd card is not recognized.
    When I put a SD card in it, the PC is do run and try to read it but no error message is shown.

In the disk management, the E\ drive is set to SD card, but nothing do appear in the volume allocation

In file explorer, I tried to format the SD card. When I insert the card, the system is looping, trying to read it.

I tried to
    - removed it and reinstalled
    - update the driver
    - Win diagnostic and repair error

Any idea?

arjfca, Nov 15, 2020
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    SD Card reader not working.

Hi,

There are several reasons why your SD card reader is not working. To assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What are the other troubleshooting steps have you done so for?
    • Have you tried to use another SD card reader and see if it is getting recognized or detected by your computer?

Regards.

Eric Ber, Nov 15, 2020
  4. Berton Win User

Troubleshooting Failure to Read SD Card/Recognize SD Card Reader

SD card/SD card reader no longer working

Bradleyb, in your Device Manager do you have anything listed in Storage Controllers? I get an entry for MMC/SD. I just checked a 1GB SD card and a 4GB SDHC card, both worked in File Explorer to show their contents.

Troubleshooting Failure to Read SD Card/Recognize SD Card Reader [​IMG]

Side note: A caveat for such cards is that if they are to be used in a camera they need to be formatted in the camera, not in Windows.

Berton, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

Troubleshooting Failure to Read SD Card/Recognize SD Card Reader

1. Troubleshooting Failure to Read SD Card/Recognize SD Card Reader - Similar Threads - Troubleshooting Failure Read

2. SD Card reader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SD Card reader: I have an external sd card reader and it wont work on my pc. It works on my laptop and other stuff but it only doesnt work on this pc. It only recognizes the sd card reader as USB3.0 Card Reader but it wont read the sd card at all. I even tried buying and using another sd...
  3. SD card reader?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SD card reader?: Hello! I cant access my SD card Transcend SDHC 8GB. When I plug it into my laptop, it doesn't get recognized. I installed the driver software from the Dell website my computer is a Dell Inspiron 3543 and restarted it but nothings working, I cannot actually see the SD card...
  4. sd card reader

sd card reader: Hi, I have been running a lenovo Z70-80 with a partitioned hard drive with a windows 7 \ linux dual boot setup. It all worked fine until I upgraded to windows 10. After I updated all the drivers everything worked well except the sd card reader. This will keep disconnecting or...
  5. SD Card Reader

SD Card Reader: Hi Every SD card I plug in to my PC says it is Write Protected. I have tried everything I can find on internet to fix this but to no avail. Can anyone help please? 146468
  6. Internal SD card reader not recognized

Internal SD card reader not recognized: Hello This is an old problem. I got an internal all in one reader. The USB port is working but the sd card is not recognized. When I put a SD card in it, the PC is do run and try to read it but no error message is shown. In the disk management, the E\ drive is set to SD...
  7. Sd Card reader

Sd Card reader: Can Someone help Me. Ive Tried Everything But My Sd card reader wont work. How do i get my laptop to recognize that there is even a Sd card in it . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader/bc9ec34c-018b-485b-abbb-c6f2ec864929"
  8. sd card reader not recognized

sd card reader not recognized: sd card reader not recognized https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader-not-recognized/10de784a-abbe-49b2-a77d-22385c823869"
  9. SD Card Reader

SD Card Reader: I have Windows 10 and my SD card reader is not recognized. I have tried everything on the earlier post and none have worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader/d927df68-eac3-4356-8c18-4cd339419e75
  10. sd card reader

sd card reader: My sd card reader isn't working .How can I get it back on ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader/a9ecbe8c-3206-454a-960a-8b6f6ce13e12