Windows 10: troubleshooting local network file access between win7 and win10

Discus and support troubleshooting local network file access between win7 and win10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I think I have the discovery, encription, pwd off, c file system share settings on both, but the win10 system cannot see the win7 one, and the win7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Owen N, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Owen N Win User

troubleshooting local network file access between win7 and win10

I think I have the discovery, encription, pwd off, c file system share settings on both, but the win10 system cannot see the win7 one,

and the win7 one can see the win10 one, but says the access is not allowed. What can I check now?

I will recheck the win10 c drive settings. I renamed it sharename to c-chris . Is this valid or necessary?

:)

Owen N, Jul 11, 2020

2. Networking Win10 with Win7

Both are members of the same Workgroup. Everything enabled but networking between the two is now a no go.

The thing seemed to work most of the time when I was running Win8.1 but since the upgrade it's a no go. Network discovery, etc all turned on - both machines. Password protection turned off - both machines. Sharing is set to Everyone, Administrator, Administrators
    - full control.

Have tried everything to no avail and believe the homegroup between Win10 and 7 is now apparently no go.

The Win10 machine can see the Win7 machine on the network but cannot access the files - 'Windows cannot access \\xxxxxx. Error code 0x80070035 - The network path was not found

The Win7 machine cannot see the Win10 machine.

I use a MS account but in trying to sort I did revert to a Local Account - no go. So now back with the MS account.

Also, the shared laser printer running from a USB cable worked fine via the Win7 machine.

I can see my wife's laptop and shared files - she's using Win7 Pro. So the wi-fi element between my laptop and her laptop seems to be working okay but my main PC running Win7 via an ethernet cable to the router is a no go.

Also, my main PC running Win7 can also access the shared files on my wife's laptop. Certainly something weird here but probably very basic as well.

martynbromley, Jul 11, 2020
  3. groston Win User
    Cannot access Win10 machine via local network

I am 'birthing' my first Win10 machine, OS V1809, and must have goofed something up...

All machines in my home belong to the same Workgroup and the users/passwords are consistent across all machines. From my Win7 desktop, I:
    • Can access my Win10 machine, via Explorer, using its IP address
    • Can ping the Win10 machine using both its name and IP address
    • Cannot access the Win10 machine, via Explorer, using its name

From the Win10 machine, I can see all other computers on the network and access all of them.

I do not believe that this is a firewall issue as the issue persists when the firewall is disabled. I do believe that network and file sharing is enabled (but, I could be wrong). The issue exists with both the Ethernet and WiFi connections, so it is probably not interface-specific.

Please suggest what I can do to resolve this issue. Thx.

groston, Jul 11, 2020
  4. Gino Des Win User

Permission to access network

Hi Kristen,

You might be experiencing this issue because you lost permission to access the network resource or shortcut after upgrading your computer. To better assist you with this problem, we would like to know the following information.

• Are you using the shortcut to access a file or folder located on another computer in the network?
    • Is the file or folder located on the computer that you recently upgraded?
    • What is the exact error message that you received when accessing the shortcut?
    • Are you using a homegroup to share files between devices on your local network?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, let's run the Network troubleshooter. This troubleshooter finds and fixes common connection problems. Here's how:

• Click Start.
    • Start typing Network problems, and then select
      Identify and repair network problems
      in the results.
    • Follow the steps in the troubleshooter and see if that fixes the problem.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

Gino Des, Jul 11, 2020
Thema:

1. troubleshooting local network file access between win7 and win10 - Similar Threads - troubleshooting local network

2. File Explorer Quick Access- distinguish between a network folder and a local folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Quick Access- distinguish between a network folder and a local folder?: Currently have multiple folders listed under File Explorer Quick Access. Some are local folders and others off a network drive.The problem is I can't differentiate between any of them because some have similar names. Ideally I could assign the network folders a different...
  3. Win10 and win7 network woes

Win10 and win7 network woes: Hi, I have 3 pc's in a network, 2 are running windows 10 and 1 is running windows7 When I had just 2 connected win10 and win 7 both could see each other and exchange files without issue. Occasionally however the win7 machine would struggle to see the win10 machine....
  4. Confused between installing win7 or win10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Confused between installing win7 or win10: So I recently bought a new SSD and installed windows 10 pro on it (which was provided by a friend in a USB) after installing it i noticed that my fan was making a lot of noise . I cleaned it up there was some dust etc on it ig but it is still making that noise which is...
  5. Cannot access Win10 machine via local network

Cannot access Win10 machine via local network: I am 'birthing' my first Win10 machine, OS V1809, and must have goofed something up... All machines in my home belong to the same Workgroup and the users/passwords are consistent across all machines. From my Win7 desktop, I: Can access my Win10 machine, via Explorer, using...
  6. Updated Win7 to Win10 and Now Can't Access Networked Computers

Updated Win7 to Win10 and Now Can't Access Networked Computers: I just updated my Windows 7 Pro laptop to Windows 10 Pro (1903) and now I can no longer see other computers on my home network. The others have both been Win10 machines for some time (recently updated to 1903) and I was able to see them in my Win7 network (via HomeGroup...
  7. Folder sharing between WIN10 and WIN7 troubles

Folder sharing between WIN10 and WIN7 troubles: I have a desktop PC running Windows10 and an older laptop that is running Windows7. This is a home computer setup with full admin rights on both machines. I am trying to share folders between the machines over the home network. Both machines can see the other, but when I...
  8. Networking Win10 with Win7

Networking Win10 with Win7: how to connect a win 10 pc with a win 7 pc in a local network via wifi ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networking-win10-with-win7/31128bd4-e0ca-434b-9f02-73990826111c
  9. How to sharing between Win7 & new Win10?

How to sharing between Win7 & new Win10?: Hello, i have 3 PC on my home network. 1 week ago i upgraded one of them from Win10 Pro (old version) to Win10 Pro (1803). PC1 - Win7 Pro PC2 - Win10 Pro (old) PC3 - Win10 Pro 1803 Before i did upgrade, these 3 PCs were connected with Home Group and sharing was working....
  10. In between Win10 and Factory Default Win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In between Win10 and Factory Default Win7: I am in W7 because I became stuck after an unsuccessful restore from image. I know the error code, but I am unsure of why it failed. I am trying to get back to W10 and my head is exploding - as it is day 5. External HD works, but I can't find my backups (pst file from...