Windows 10: Troubling transferring files from old external hard-drive

Discus and support Troubling transferring files from old external hard-drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Not sure if this is the right place, but dk where else to ask. I got a new external hard-drive and I'm trying to transfer the stuff from my old one,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/JinjonatorX, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Troubling transferring files from old external hard-drive

Not sure if this is the right place, but dk where else to ask. I got a new external hard-drive and I'm trying to transfer the stuff from my old one, but having a very difficult time. I tried googling my problem and saw others with a similar problem, and apparently there's an issue where, if you try transferring too much at once, it just disconnects the hard-drive, which happened to me. But even when I try transferring in small increments, inevitably it'll reach a point where the transfer stops, or it'll still disconnect (even just transferring 3-5, or sometimes even one folder), and worst case, it's even out-right crashed Windows Explorer entirely. Tried transferring from hard-drive to hard-drive, and onto my regular hard-drive, but the problem remains.

Any ideas? Really wanna get this stuff moved over and done with (massive library of music).

submitted by /u/JinjonatorX
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/JinjonatorX, Oct 24, 2020
  2. GarySabia Win User

Trouble accessing files on external hard drive

I am am having trouble accessing files from an external hard drive. Getting 0x80004005 error message and other errors "can not access files". I have shared and given permissions for all the files but still no luck

The external hard drive was one of a shared network of hard drives but I have been able to access all the others....

THoughts? Suggestions?

GarySabia, Oct 24, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Oct 24, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Troubling transferring files from old external hard-drive

download the files from my external hard drive in windows 10

Hi Steve,

If you're referring to moving your files from your old computer to your new computer, you can try this steps:

Transferring files using an external hard drive:

You need to save your files from your old laptop to an external hard drive then follow the steps provided below.

1. Open File Explorer.

2. Connect the external hard drive to your new laptop.

3. Click on This PC on the left side of the File Explorer.

4. Double-click on external hard drive icon.

5. Press Ctrl Key + A Key to select all the data files and press Ctrl + C Key to copy it.

6. Then press Ctrl Key + V Key to paste it in the computer.

Note: Transferring the files from an external hard drive to a computer may take some time. It depends on the size of the files and computer speed.

Let us know how it goes.

Remon Ont, Oct 24, 2020
Thema:

Troubling transferring files from old external hard-drive

1. Troubling transferring files from old external hard-drive - Similar Threads - Troubling transferring files

2. external hard drive transfer files to pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive transfer files to pc: Can someone please refer me to an easy reference to transfer music files from an external hard drive to my laptop with windows 10when i plug in the external hard drive it shows as a device but that's it with some indistinguishable files. The files don't pen in Windows 10....
  3. external hard drive transfer files to pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external hard drive transfer files to pc: Can someone please refer me to an easy reference to transfer music files from an external hard drive to my laptop with windows 10when i plug in the external hard drive it shows as a device but that's it with some indistinguishable files. The files don't pen in Windows 10....
  4. external hard drive transfer files to pc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. transfer files from old crashed computer to new PC via external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    transfer files from old crashed computer to new PC via external hard drive: I was using windows 7 computer to write my autobiography. I always had an external hard drive attached, but did not know what was really being saved.. Now my old win 7 computer has crashed. How do I find out what files are on my external hard drive and transfer selected files...
  6. transfer files from old crashed computer to new PC via external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    transfer files from old crashed computer to new PC via external hard drive: I was using windows 7 computer to write my autobiography. I always had an external hard drive attached, but did not know what was really being saved.. Now my old win 7 computer has crashed. How do I find out what files are on my external hard drive and transfer selected files...
  7. USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive: I'm having a hard time finding which USB ports on my laptop and its dock are v3 or v2 (or less possibly), but when I tried two different ports (I think one is v3), they both seemed to transfer at about 150KBps... which seems slow even for USB v2. I'm copying files from an...
  8. Unable to transfer files to and from external hard drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to transfer files to and from external hard drives: My HP laptop is unable to modify or transfer files from external hard drives. It says i need permission to access the folders so i changed the ownership and reset the permissions of the files and it still didn't work. I also tried formatting the hard drives but it didn't...
  9. Trouble accessing files on external hard drive

Trouble accessing files on external hard drive: I am am having trouble accessing files from an external hard drive. Getting 0x80004005 error message and other errors "can not access files". I have shared and given permissions for all the files but still no luck The external hard drive was one of a shared network of...
  10. Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive: Hello, My laptop recently broke that was running Windows 7. I bought a new laptop that is running Windows 10. Since my old laptop would not start, I bought a hard drive enclosure so I could move everything off my old hard drive onto my new one. I am confused with exactly...