Windows 10: Trying and Failing to uninstall or repair old versions of Visual Studio (Need help)

Discus and support Trying and Failing to uninstall or repair old versions of Visual Studio (Need help) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My laptop has a bunch of stuff that I installed over time. Stuff that is now out of date and not needed. For example I seem to have Visual Studio... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by HenryStock, May 25, 2019.

1. Trying and Failing to uninstall or repair old versions of Visual Studio (Need help)

My laptop has a bunch of stuff that I installed over time. Stuff that is now out of date and not needed. For example I seem to have Visual Studio Express for the Web - 2012. But it doesn't work and the installer / uninstaller is broken because it can't find some of the necessary files to either repair or remove it. It can't find the files locally or on the web, so the process fails and I can neither fix it or remove it from Add or Remove Programs. I seem to have something from Visual Studio 2015 for Applications, and I may even have stuff from Visual Studio 2010, if having folders for 2010 is any indication.

With Visual Studio 2019 - Community Edition already out, I want to get rid of the old stuff, but I may need to learn how to manually remove stuff because as I said, the programs designed to uninstall this stuff are not working as advertised. Are there tools available to help me remove such applications? I assume there are registry entries that no longer need to be there and binaries that could be removed, etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. There is not category listed here from Visual Studio related stuff or the Programs and Features App from Control Panel, which as far as I am concerned is a subset of Windows utilities. I posted it here because I did not see a more appropriate place to post it.

Examples of Error messages from the attempt to uninstall...

Microsoft Web Deploy 3.0

A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Microsoft ASP.NET

The system cannot find the path specified.

:)

HenryStock, May 25, 2019

2. Repair/uninstall of Visual C++ 2017 x64 14.14.26429.4 not possible

I appreciate your afford to help me.

1. It's the exact version that is bugged. I downloaded it again, just in case. Deleted the old exe manually to avoid confusion. The 14.14. installer exe won't let me repair it, says now a newer version is installed as I have the 14.15 installed too now. If
    I use the exe to uninstall the broken 14.14 version it will tell me "uninstall successful" but if I check under installed programs it's still there. I can use the installer only to uninstall again and again. So it's just saying uninstalled but in fact it didn't
    do anything even after reboot.

The Unreal Engine installer tries to install 14.14 and it doesn't care that I have 14.15 already. So I need to get right of 14.14 and clean install it.

2. I did the repair process, but since I installed Visual Studio after
    the Visual C++ 14.14 was already broken. I only installed it in the hope it would fix Visual C++, which it didn't. Anyways, that step sadly didn't help.

3. This step shows how to uninstall Visual Studio. I tried:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\resources\app\layout\InstallCleanup.exe -f

And all it did is that Windows doesn't recognize my Visual Studio installation any longer, the files are still in the folder. Visual C++ 14.14. is still installed despite it saying in the help page description to "remove all with Visual Studio associated programs"
    if I use it with "-f"...

4. I'll write a bug report there, maybe someone there knows how to finally get 14.14. uninstalled.

Dennis_837, May 25, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Visual Studio 2017 version 15.9 now available

Source: Visual Studio 2017 version 15.9 now available | The Visual Studio Blog

Tweet

— Twitter API (@User) View on Twiiter

Brink, May 25, 2019
  4. alexg42 Win User

Trying and Failing to uninstall or repair old versions of Visual Studio (Need help)

Problem uninstalling Visual Studio 2015

Hi all,

I'm having trouble fully removing Visual Studio 2015 community version. When I attempt to uninstall using windows apps I get error messages after clicking uninstall. I'm unable to open the program, I believe it is uninstalled, but for some reason not fully
    removed from my PC. I would like to remove it completely before installing Visual Studio 2017.

I followed the steps given online at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt720585.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

and also used the uninstaller tool there. I ran it and success messages showed up with a couple of exit codes, but nothing has changed. I can still see it installed in my programs etc.

The top showed the following:

Uninstalling: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{79b486b9-c5f0-4096-a00c-8351f59587c2}\vs_community.exe

Bundle: Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015 with Updates has been uninstalled with exit code: -2147205120.

Uninstalling: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{7a68448b-9cf2-4049-bd73-5875f1aa7ba2}\vsupdate_KB3022398.exe

Bundle: Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 (KB3022398) has been uninstalled with exit code: 1603.

Normal Visual Studio Uninstall completed.

Strange exit codes I thought, especially after googling.

Any ideas how to get rid of this? If I reinstall Visual Studio will previous versions be removed?

Thanks,

Alex

alexg42, May 25, 2019
Thema:

Trying and Failing to uninstall or repair old versions of Visual Studio (Need help)

1. Trying and Failing to uninstall or repair old versions of Visual Studio (Need help) - Similar Threads - Trying Failing uninstall

2. visual studio 2022, uninstalling win11sdk_windowsperformanceToolkit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    visual studio 2022, uninstalling win11sdk_windowsperformanceToolkit: I encountered a problem when visual studio updating to 17.9.3, it prompt that uninstalling win11sdk_windowsperformanceToolkit showed in picture. But I am using Win10 ltsc 2021, i didn't install win11sdk!...
  3. visual studio 2022, uninstalling win11sdk_windowsperformanceToolkit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    visual studio 2022, uninstalling win11sdk_windowsperformanceToolkit: I encountered a problem when visual studio updating to 17.9.3, it prompt that uninstalling win11sdk_windowsperformanceToolkit showed in picture. But I am using Win10 ltsc 2021, i didn't install win11sdk!...
  4. visual studio 2022, uninstalling win11sdk_windowsperformanceToolkit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Problem Updating or Uninstalling Visual Studio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem Updating or Uninstalling Visual Studio: I have Visual Studio and it keeps trying to install updates to a user that doesn't exist on the machine. The program is installed and works fine but I get the pop up error frequently saying cannot install. I tried to uninstall the whole program but the Uninstaller also thinks...
  6. Problem Updating or Uninstalling Visual Studio

Problem Updating or Uninstalling Visual Studio: I have Visual Studio and it keeps trying to install updates to a user that doesn't exist on the machine. The program is installed and works fine but I get the pop up error frequently saying cannot install. I tried to uninstall the whole program but the Uninstaller also thinks...
  7. Visual Studio 2015 installation/application help needed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Visual Studio 2015 installation/application help needed: Hello. What's the difference between these?en_visual_studio_2015_shell_isolated_x86_dvd_9fda4a05.isomu_visual_studio_2015_shell_integrated_x86_dvd_8b6c6452.isoI mounted both, but there's no "readme" files, so I don't know whether either will be helpful.Will either one allow...
  8. Visual Studio 2015 installation/application help needed

Visual Studio 2015 installation/application help needed: Hello. What's the difference between these?en_visual_studio_2015_shell_isolated_x86_dvd_9fda4a05.isomu_visual_studio_2015_shell_integrated_x86_dvd_8b6c6452.isoI mounted both, but there's no "readme" files, so I don't know whether either will be helpful.Will either one allow...
  9. Visual Studio 2022 -> Tried to install Microsoft.DataTools.AnalysisServices.vsix fails with...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Visual Studio 2022 -> Tried to install Microsoft.DataTools.AnalysisServices.vsix fails with...: HiI am logged into this platform with my personal MS account however I am on client site for work using their VS2022 pro licence.I tried to run Microsoft.DataTools.AnalysisServices.vsix as I need tools to connect to a server-side Analysis Services in order to create and...
  10. Microsoft Visual Studio version question

Microsoft Visual Studio version question: I was just testing a trial version of software on a test machine. When I installed it I saw that it needed to install Microsoft Visual Studio 2012. It is the 2020 version of the software. I am getting ready to install the software on my machine and I'm wondering if it makes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to repair older version of visual studios