Windows 10: Trying to access Desktop files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7, on a desktop computer Win...

Discus and support Trying to access Desktop files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7, on a desktop computer Win... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Trying to access files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7 on a desktop computer Win 10. All system files and program files are viewable, but not the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Patrick Elam, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Trying to access Desktop files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7, on a desktop computer Win...

Trying to access files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7 on a desktop computer Win 10. All system files and program files are viewable, but not the contents of the Desktop Folders. The directory for the hard drive appears to include all of the data on the drive. But when I go to Windows_7 OS > Users >, I get the following 4 folders: Administrator, Default grayed out, Patrick Admin, and Public. Clicking on the Administrator folder, I get a list of folders. The App Data folder and the Desktop folder are grayed out, The Desktop folder has 3 random files and 1 random folder listed

:)

Patrick Elam, Aug 5, 2022
  2. PABresler Win User

Unable to view files on Desktop on Win 10 computer with Win 7 computer

I am trying to move a file from the desktop of my Win 7 computer to that of the Win 10 computer. I find the Win 10 desktop with User => me => Desktop, but only a couple of files appear, and I cannot paste the one I want to move.

Peter

PABresler, Aug 5, 2022
  3. dmcmillen Win User
    Cannot Access Win 10 Laptop from Win 7 Desktop

Samuria, as I noted above NTFS permissions are set to everyone, full control at the share and the security levels. Normally I would map a network drive on the desktop as a way to access the shared folder on the laptop. Mapping the shared folder to a network drive on the win 10 laptop does not accomplish anything. The win 7 desktop is unable to access anything on the win 10 laptop.

dmcmillen, Aug 5, 2022
  4. dmcmillen Win User

Trying to access Desktop files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7, on a desktop computer Win...

Cannot Access Win 10 Laptop from Win 7 Desktop

Win 7 desktop is hardwired to Linksys ea8300 router and Win 10 laptop is connected via wifi. The Win 10 laptop can see the Win 7 desktop and its shares and connect to them. The win 7 desktop can see the win 10 tablet in the network but any attempt to access the laptop (dell-tablet) generates a permissions error (see below). This was working and I don't know what changed.

Win 10 tablet does not require any logon. Shares grant full permissions to everyone at the share and the security level. Win 7 desktop is a member of a homegroup and network discovery and file sharing are turned on for the home network. Of course, homegroup is no longer part of Win 10. Tablet is a private network and network discovery and file sharing is turned on for the private network. Both pcs are in a workgroup called Home. Function Discovery Provider Host & Function Discovery Resource Publication are both running on the win 10 tablet.

Trying to access Desktop files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7, on a desktop computer Win... [​IMG]

After getting the access problem, I cannot find any logged events on the tablet rejecting the access. I am at a loss especially since this was working.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

Thanks, David

dmcmillen, Aug 5, 2022
Thema:

Trying to access Desktop files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7, on a desktop computer Win...

1. Trying to access Desktop files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7, on a desktop computer Win... - Similar Threads - Trying access Desktop

2. I'm 85 and trying to migrate from a Win i3 desktop computer to a Win i7 desktop computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm 85 and trying to migrate from a Win i3 desktop computer to a Win i7 desktop computer.: On my desk I have the i3 computer running with one monitor and the i7 computer running with 2 monitors. On the i7 computer I have installed a 100G storage device in the "cloud", to use to move files between computers. I have huge number of files in my i3 computer that is...
  3. I'm 85 and trying to migrate from a Win i3 desktop computer to a Win i7 desktop computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm 85 and trying to migrate from a Win i3 desktop computer to a Win i7 desktop computer.: On my desk I have the i3 computer running with one monitor and the i7 computer running with 2 monitors. On the i7 computer I have installed a 100G storage device in the "cloud", to use to move files between computers. I have huge number of files in my i3 computer that is...
  4. I'm 85 and trying to migrate from a win i3 desktop computer to a win i7 desktop computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm 85 and trying to migrate from a win i3 desktop computer to a win i7 desktop computer.: I have the i3 running with one monitor and the i7 running with 2 monitors, all on my desk. On the i7 machine I had installed 100G storage device in the "cloud", to use to move files between machines. I have huge number of files in my i3 machine in OUTLOOK and it is still...
  5. I'm 85 and trying to migrate from a win i3 desktop computer to a win i7 desktop computer.

I'm 85 and trying to migrate from a win i3 desktop computer to a win i7 desktop computer.: I have the i3 running with one monitor and the i7 running with 2 monitors, all on my desk. On the i7 machine I had installed 100G storage device in the "cloud", to use to move files between machines. I have huge number of files in my i3 machine in OUTLOOK and it is still...
  6. Trying to access Desktop files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7, on a desktop computer Win...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to access Desktop files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7, on a desktop computer Win...: Trying to access files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7 on a desktop computer Win 10. All system files and program files are viewable, but not the contents of the Desktop Folders. The directory for the hard drive appears to include all of the data on the drive. But when I go to...
  7. Trying to access Desktop files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7, on a desktop computer Win...

Trying to access Desktop files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7, on a desktop computer Win...: Trying to access files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7 on a desktop computer Win 10. All system files and program files are viewable, but not the contents of the Desktop Folders. The directory for the hard drive appears to include all of the data on the drive. But when I go to...
  8. Lost desktop/user upgrading from win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost desktop/user upgrading from win 7 to win 10: Upgraded from win 7 to win 10 from a mem stick. That installation could not download win updates. At this point both main and secondary desktops/users were present to log into. Then re-installed win 10 using media creation tool on microsoft website. Now the second one is not...
  9. No access to Win 10 folders from networked Win 7 PC or Win 7 Laptop

No access to Win 10 folders from networked Win 7 PC or Win 7 Laptop: About 4 weeks ago I found I could no longer access any Win 10 folders from my Win 7 PC or Win 7 laptop. I have done the following to try to resolve this. 1) On Win 7 machines. deleted mapped drives and tried to re-map them – Failed, could not even see the Win 10 Laptop when...
  10. Cannot Access Win 10 Laptop from Win 7 Desktop

Cannot Access Win 10 Laptop from Win 7 Desktop: Win 7 desktop is hardwired to Linksys ea8300 router and Win 10 laptop is connected via wifi. The Win 10 laptop can see the Win 7 desktop and its shares and connect to them. The win 7 desktop can see the win 10 tablet in the network but any attempt to access the laptop...