Windows 10: trying to access legacy BIOS

Discus and support trying to access legacy BIOS in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've got an old Lenovo Thinkpad T430s. Purchased off ebay a while back with Win 10 OS installed. It's using legacy BIOS. I've had Thinkpads for years,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sten3, Jun 25, 2020.

1. sten3 Win User

trying to access legacy BIOS

I've got an old Lenovo Thinkpad T430s. Purchased off ebay a while back with Win 10 OS installed. It's using legacy BIOS. I've had Thinkpads for years, including other T430 laptops, and they all use F2 at startup to enter BIOS. This laptop shows the Lenovo Thinkpad screen at startup as usual, but pressing F2 has no effect, and it blows on through into Windows. Pressing F12 to access boot options also has no effect.

Is there something about this Windows installation that is causing this behavior?

- - - Updated - - -

Issue resolved: Pressing Enter at startup presents a menu from which I can enter BIOS.

:)

sten3, Jun 25, 2020

2. access BIOS settings in Win 10

I have an 8-year old computer running Win 10. I need to access the BIOS settings. It used to be the holding down the F2 key during startup would bring up the BIOS screen in Windows computers. But this no longer works. A web article listed a complicated
    series of steps leading to a reboot . . . but still no access to BIOS. Any suggestions?

R BruceBeckner, Jun 25, 2020
  3. slance310 Win User
    Difficulty setting BIOS to boot in Legacy mode

Hi,

I read that from your previous link...

That's why I was thinking that a wiped HDD might give a different outcome with the BIOS...

Same reason to try doing a Clean Install with a Flash Drive specifically for Legacy Bios... To see if the Legacy\ Secure Boot issue can be forced to change...

Be sure to have all other HDDs and iOmega stuff unhooked...

I am trying to force something to work on my machine by using a UEFI Flash, as opposed to the Legacy Flash I suggested you try...

I'm trying to boot off of a PCIe based SSD, and my Bios is not recognizing it in Legacy... Not even showing in Bios at all, even though it works fine for Data storage...

slance310, Jun 25, 2020
  4. AddRAM Win User

Cant access BIOS in Legacy mode

You don`t need to get into the Bios to boot from a different source, you need to bring up the Boot Menu (F8) for me. Then you choose what you want to boot from.

The Boot Menu should give you a list of bootable options, in this case a UEFI usb stick choice, and a non UEFI usb stick choice.
    trying to access legacy BIOS [​IMG]

AddRAM, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

1. trying to access legacy BIOS - Similar Threads - trying access legacy

2. How to access BIOS legacy interface on a Windows 11 device?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to access BIOS legacy interface on a Windows 11 device?: I have a Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro and the available BIOS menu lacks many settings such as "Chipset Configuration" and "Primary Graphics Adapter" which is incredibly frustrating!Is there a way to access them?Thank you for your time!...
  3. How to access BIOS legacy interface on a Windows 11 device?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to access BIOS legacy interface on a Windows 11 device?: I have a Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro and the available BIOS menu lacks many settings such as "Chipset Configuration" and "Primary Graphics Adapter" which is incredibly frustrating!Is there a way to access them?Thank you for your time!...
  4. Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS: Hello,First time posting here. I want to change from LEGACY to UEFI, I'm thinking:Will the computer be able to boot?I use it regularly, and I hope it works after this changover!I am not a computer geek. But I do know how to get into BIOS.Thanks...
  5. legacy bios

in Windows 10 Customization
    legacy bios: how to enable vt in legacy bios. help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/legacy-bios/23898b08-4c8c-460c-a565-94ef79831238
  6. Cant access BIOS in Legacy mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant access BIOS in Legacy mode: So last weekend I was trying to install Tails OS on a usb so I can play around on the dark web. Before when I could get to my bios I mistakenly changed it to legacy mode. Now nothing I seem to try wont let me access the bios. Here are a few thing I've tried so far. -Using...
  7. Legacy BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Legacy BIOS: Hello, I do not have UEFI only the legacy BIOS. See attach. Then how to access my BIOS? Thank you 152614
  8. Need help accessing GPT drive on legacy bios pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help accessing GPT drive on legacy bios pc: I can’t access a GPT drive handed to me with important files as my motherboard is legacy, is there a workaround? submitted by /u/Bombzopple [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/etn4er/need_help_accessing_gpt_drive_on_legacy_bios_pc/
  9. EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......: This weekend I will try to do a clean install of Win 10 again, from Win 7. Have to try som new methods to see if I can get my computer running flawlessly with Windows 10. I will use the clean install tutorials from this forum. I hav two options, with or without UEFI...
  10. Accessing Legacy BIOS windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Accessing Legacy BIOS windows 10: Hey guys, First off apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forums. Long story short I recently bought a new Graphics card, hardware install is fine, windows and Radeon settings recognise it's installed however I need to set my PC to use my new GPU as opposed to my...