Windows 10: trying to access old hard drive

Discus and support trying to access old hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good morning all. I recently purchased a new computer, and I'm using old hard drives to move files off other computers, and the hard drives off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SteveDB1, Apr 10, 2020.

1. SteveDB1 Win User

trying to access old hard drive

Good morning all.

I recently purchased a new computer, and I'm using old hard drives to move files off other computers, and the hard drives off computers which died, and I kept the drives from.

I'm on my last two drives, and I'm not able to access either. I plug them in-- using a portable drive enclosure-- and then plug in the usb, and nothing happens. In previous versions of windows, I'd get a warning stating that I don't have authorization to access the drive, but now it doesn't do a single thing, except light the light of the enclosure, letting me know that it's active.

It's a SATA drive, and the enclosure is a SATA enclosure.

While I use a win10 machine at work, my use for home is fairly new. We used WinXP before, and then Win7. At the time I at least received notice that I didn't have authorization, or wasn't the owner/administrator which I was, just on a different machine.

Is there a way to get access to those last two drives?

Thank you.

:)

SteveDB1, Apr 10, 2020

2. Cannot Access Files from old windows Hard Drive

Maybe the old PC refused to boot up because its hard disk had failed, as suggested by the Canadian Tech. Try connecting it to a different PC. If it fails there too then you need to restore your files from your backup medium.

Frederik Long, Apr 10, 2020
  3. little cat, Apr 10, 2020
  4. DannibusX Win User

Accessing a Hard Drive...

...from a dead laptop.

My girlfriend's laptop recently s**t the bed, and she has a lot of photos she would like to retrieve from it. I used a USB to IDE cable to try, but it's a no go. Her drive has Windows XP Home on it, and my system has Win7 x64. The computer recognizes the drive, but it wants me to initialize it, which I think may format it.

I don't know if it's formatted FAT32 or NTFS. Are there any suggestions on accessing the drive to pull all this data off of it?

DannibusX, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

1. trying to access old hard drive - Similar Threads - trying access old

2. Not able to access old hard drive on new pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to access old hard drive on new pc: I have a computer that is just a couple of years old but it's having issues connecting to a monitor I'm guessing a video card issue I took out the hard drive, and connected it to a new pc via a SATA-USB cable. However, the new pc is not properly recognizing the hard drive. It...
  3. Not able to access old hard drive on new pc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Not able to access old hard drive on new pc: I have a computer that is just a couple of years old but it's having issues connecting to a monitor I'm guessing a video card issue I took out the hard drive, and connected it to a new pc via a SATA-USB cable. However, the new pc is not properly recognizing the hard drive. It...
  4. Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive: I recently upgraded my pc, in which I got an SSD that I installed windows on. On my hard drive that previously had windows on it, I cannot access the recycle bin. I got to $RECYCLE.BIN but opening the recycle bin leads me to the recycle bin on my SSD. Is there any way I could...
  5. Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive: I recently upgraded my pc, in which I got an SSD that I installed windows on. On my hard drive that previously had windows on it, I cannot access the recycle bin. I got to $RECYCLE.BIN but opening the recycle bin leads me to the recycle bin on my SSD. Is there any way I could...
  6. Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Trying to recover an old hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to recover an old hard drive: Stuck in a bit of a bind. I have an old hard-drive on windows 7, but trying to get it back up and running. My laptop gives me a boot error, so I'm trying to install windows 10, but keep the current partitions for retaining files. When installing from USB, it gets stuck on...
  8. How to have access to an old hard drive ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to have access to an old hard drive ?: My little brother recently broke my laptop and it said that the hard drive was un detectable, so i got it changed and the repairman said that i lost access to all the data on the thing. Isn't there an other way to access ? I have work and precious family pictures on the fella...
  9. Accessing an old hard drive with an old version of Windows on it.

Accessing an old hard drive with an old version of Windows on it.: I am running Windows 10 964 BIT) I want to access the data on an old hard drive that still has an old version of windows on it. (I have a docking facility.) How do I do that without the two operating systems conflicting?...
  10. Can't access old Hard Drive, need help!

Can't access old Hard Drive, need help!: I'm new to this forum, and here's what happened. My old Windows XP Desktop stopped running 2 weeks ago, with a No OS Found error. Since then I've taken the hard drive out and connected it to my new Windows 10 desktop with a USB 2.0 to SATA Adapter. It does not show up in...