Windows 10: Trying to Associate *.RTSP to VLC - Can not Will not Remember Association - Version 10.0.17763

Discus and support Trying to Associate *.RTSP to VLC - Can not Will not Remember Association - Version 10.0.17763 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Just got a new SSD, and windows October edition just came out, perfect timing. So I install Windows 10 October Edition Fresh and clean. Everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Klepperx, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Klepperx Win User

Trying to Associate *.RTSP to VLC - Can not Will not Remember Association - Version 10.0.17763

Just got a new SSD, and windows October edition just came out, perfect timing. So I install Windows 10 October Edition Fresh and clean. Everything goes as expected, no loss of files like other reported. Good.

And I have my video camera streaming links/shoprtcuts, they are RTSP extension files that open in VLC to steam live view.

When I click on an RSTP it said couldn't find an app, yada yada, I pick VLC, works like a champ: Trying to Associate *.RTSP to VLC - Can not Will not Remember Association - Version 10.0.17763 3ab1f54f-9914-4a2b-90f8-ed47d7d40380?upload=true.jpg

However, it doesn't "remember" or associate.

I've been a tech for over 20 years, so I have tried the obvious things:

0. First of all I had to do was manually add the extension since it wasn't in the list. Indexing Options > Advanced > File Types > Add a new extension to the list.

1. I tried: Choose Default Apps by File Type

Trying to Associate *.RTSP to VLC - Can not Will not Remember Association - Version 10.0.17763 2e145d2d-894b-4ca9-9531-f002c7110379?upload=true.jpg

Then it says this when I choose a default:

Um.. yeah there is, it's VLC, it's local and I wanna use it. Won't let me. not even an option.

2. So then I try, Choose default apps by protocol doesn't have any options workable.

3. So I choose Set Default by Apps > Set your Default Program > VLC > Manage:

There is no RTSP options. No way to add.

4. In VLC when you click the "Set up Associations" you get this:

*sigh* Yes, very funny.

So yeah. no joy. Any ideas?

Maybe I just need to reboot.

:)

Klepperx, Oct 10, 2018
  2. DavidA23 Win User

Links/associations not working

So, does no-one have suggestions or a solution to my problem?
    The problem occurs when I double-click on a folder or link: 'This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel'.
    I can only open them by right-clicking on the item and select 'Open' which is third in the list. Above that is 'Search' and on the top is 'cmd' (where 'Open would normally appear).
    I've scoured the Net and tried several ways to cure this (including 'Default File Type Associations - Restore in Windows 10') but to no avail.
    Any suggestions most welcome.

DavidA23, Oct 10, 2018
  3. mandoist Win User
    File Association Helper in Startup

from another forum on May 6, 2018:
    You can uninstall File Association Helper in less than 5 minutes. Here are the steps to follow:

Step 1 — Uninstall File Association Helper via Control Panel

Simply go to Start > type Control Panel > double click the first result to launch Control Panel.
    Then go to Uninstall a program > locate File Association Helper in the list and select it
    Select Uninstall > wait until Windows completely removes FAH from your PC.
    Restart your PC.
    Step 2 — Clean the Registry Editor

Now that you removed the program, you also need to remove any traces or file changes associated with it. To do that, you need to open the Registry Editor.

Go to Start > type “regedit” > launch the Registry Editor
    Locate the following keys and delete them:
    KEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareFile Association Helper
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareFile Association Helper

Step 3 — Check all the hidden files and folders

File Association Helper may have left behind various hidden files and folders. In order to completely remove the software, you can also need to delete these files. Here’s how to do that:

Simply go to Start > type Control Panel > double click the first result to launch Control Panel. On Windows 10, you can also type “Show hidden files and folder” in the search box. Then simply check Show hidden files, folders and drives and jump straight to step number 3.
    RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix common PC issues and speed up your system
    Go to Folder > select Show Hidden Files and Folders
    Locate the following folders:
    CTrying to Associate *.RTSP to VLC - Can not Will not Remember Association - Version 10.0.17763 :program FilesFile Association Helper
    C*Biggrinocument and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataFile Association Helper
    C*Biggrinocuments and Settings%USER%Application DataFile Association Helper

4. Delete them and then restart your PC.

Step 4 — Empty Temp Folder

The final step is to clean the Temp folder where all the temporary files are stored. To empty the folder, go to Start and type the %temp% command.

This will open the Temp folders. You can now empty them. If the system displays an error message when deleting some files, leave them. The files might be in use by Windows services or some running software.

Step 5 — Use a dedicated tool to remove software leftovers

After you performed all the steps listed above, you have removed 99.9% of all the files and folders left behind by File Association Helper. However, there may be a few file that escaped your scrutiny. In order to make sure that you have removed all of them, you can also use a dedicated software uninstaller.

These applications are specially designed to remove the selected application along with all of its files and registry entries. As a result, the application will be completely removed from your PC.

There are many great uninstaller tools available on the market, but the best are IOBit Uninstaller and Revo Uninstaller so feel free to try any of these tools.

mandoist, Oct 10, 2018
  4. Brink Win User

Trying to Associate *.RTSP to VLC - Can not Will not Remember Association - Version 10.0.17763

Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10  

Not sure why the suggested that there either since .zip is not listed by default. The easiest way is to use the "Open with" context menu to change the association for .zip.

Brink, Oct 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Trying to Associate *.RTSP to VLC - Can not Will not Remember Association - Version 10.0.17763 - Similar Threads - Trying Associate RTSP

2. GetCurrentDomain with 0 arguments: Current security context is not associated with an...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GetCurrentDomain with 0 arguments: Current security context is not associated with an...: Hello,So I was trying to emulate this attack specifically the carbanak attack using Virtual Machines in VirtualBox, along with a Kali VM I've tried my Windows Machine to be a combination of all the target VMs.However, when I get to Step 4.A 4 in the carbanak attack, which is...
  3. GetCurrentDomain with 0 arguments: Current security context is not associated with an...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GetCurrentDomain with 0 arguments: Current security context is not associated with an...: Hello,So I was trying to emulate this attack specifically the carbanak attack using Virtual Machines in VirtualBox, along with a Kali VM I've tried my Windows Machine to be a combination of all the target VMs.However, when I get to Step 4.A 4 in the carbanak attack, which is...
  4. GetCurrentDomain with 0 arguments: Current security context is not associated with an...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. .pkg association

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .pkg association: Hi so I was downloading mods for a game and when I looked at videos on how to download them it was different as my pkg files had the internet explorer icon next to them and so I went into default apps and reset them and also went to default by file type and only internet...
  6. File Associations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Associations: I have imported and saved personal photos of friends and family. I would like to use them as screensavers on a random, rotating basis. When I go to Settings and Personalization, I am asked to associate all the photos I would like to use with a file or program extension. I...
  7. File Explorer Search Does Not Remember File Associations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Search Does Not Remember File Associations: Hi Everyone, Whenever I look for a music file with the search bar on the file explorer and select the file directly from there I always get the prompt to select which application to play the file. I have selected the player to 'To always to use this app for...' on previous...
  8. VLC&Shadowplay fullscreen problem / MPClassic file association problem

VLC&Shadowplay fullscreen problem / MPClassic file association problem: VLC player seems to trigger NVIDIA Shadowplay to think I'm gaming when I go to fullscreen video. This messes up the VLC UI bar and otherwise is problematic as well. Used to be they worked fine together, dunno what happened. I haven't found a solution to this so I've decided...
  9. VLC&Shadowplay fullscreen problem / MPClassic file association problem

in Windows 10 Support
    VLC&Shadowplay fullscreen problem / MPClassic file association problem: VLC player seems to trigger NVIDIA Shadowplay to think I'm gaming when I go to fullscreen video. This messes up the VLC UI bar and otherwise is problematic as well. Used to be they worked fine together, dunno what happened. I haven't found a solution to this so I've decided...
  10. Windows 10 Associations

Windows 10 Associations: I like to use my own picture viewer, browser, word processor, MP3 player, and movie player, not MS products. Is it just me, or does every major Windows update make it harder to associate those files with your chosen programs? I set the associations, and they work for a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Trying to associate

2. rtsp launch vlc registry

3. set RTSP protocol default program vlc

4. assoiate rtsp vlc