Windows 10: Trying to backup PC to external hard drive but file history wont turn on.

Discus and support Trying to backup PC to external hard drive but file history wont turn on. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; trying to backup PC to external hard drive but File History won't turn on.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LARRY LORENZO, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Trying to backup PC to external hard drive but file history wont turn on.

trying to backup PC to external hard drive but File History won't turn on.

:)

LARRY LORENZO, Jun 3, 2020
  2. Rhen Pal Win User

Windows 10-Reconnect your drive...No longer able to use original USB HDD for File History backups

Perform these steps to enable backup:

• Connect an external hard drive to your computer.
    • Next, open the Settings app from your Start Menu.
    • Navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click or tap the “Add a drive” option under Back up using File History to add an external drive that File History will back up to.
    It’ll list external drives and give you the option to back up to them.

Regards.

Rhen Pal, Jun 3, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jun 3, 2020
  4. Trying to backup PC to external hard drive but file history wont turn on.

File History backups from 2 hard drives?

Hi everybody,

First time here and I would like to put out a question concerning File History.

My PC has several hard drives, drive C:\ of course with the OS and programs (M.2 drive) and drive D:\, an SSD for my data, mainly photos. The backups are done to a third, internal 1Tb hard drive.

I set up File History to include the drive D:\ (added it in the list in settings).

Now it appears to actually back up the files from drive D:\ - I checked by opening the File History directory on the backup drive!

When I open File History to try to recover versions of my files I see only the 'normal' places listed (Desktop, Documents, One Drive etc). No trace of my drive D:\.

What am I missing here? How can I make sure I can recover files from this drive with File History if need be.

By the way I also tried putting the various folders from drive D:\ into the FH settings list instead (D:\Lightroom etc) of the whole drive - same result.

Running Windows 10 Pro - latest updates all done!

I'd appreciate any help here

Thanks a lot

Fränk Lehnen, Jun 3, 2020
Thema:

Trying to backup PC to external hard drive but file history wont turn on.

1. Trying to backup PC to external hard drive but file history wont turn on. - Similar Threads - Trying backup external

2. External hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive backup: Hi everybody, I would like to back up an external hard drive. To this day at the end of the day I launch a backup program with which I save everything to another external hard drive. Due to a malfunction a few days ago I risked losing data both on the main hard disk and on...
  3. External hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive backup: Hi everybody, I would like to back up an external hard drive. To this day at the end of the day I launch a backup program with which I save everything to another external hard drive. Due to a malfunction a few days ago I risked losing data both on the main hard disk and on...
  4. External hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 File History Backup Files New Larger External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 File History Backup Files New Larger External Hard Drive: My 1TB external hard drive is almost full. I want to keep all my previous file history files rather than delete older versions. How do I copy the file history files from this older 1TB external hard drive to a new 6TB external hard drive? I'd then like to use the new...
  6. File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on

File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on: An apparent update to Windows 10 caused File History to turn itself off. When trying to restart it, File History keep getting message "no external hard drive detected". Widows 10 shows the external disk working with no problems. When i tried to download data to the external...
  7. Cannot see File History in backup to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot see File History in backup to external drive: Hello, I use a WD My Passport to do backups for my HP laptop. I use Windows 10 Home edition. When I did a backup recently, I did not see my File History in there. It just showed a System/Disk? image on the backup drive and some other file ending in .cat. I keep all of my...
  8. periodic backup to external drive using file history

periodic backup to external drive using file history: If I set up my files to be backed up to an external hard drive using file history, do I have to keep the external drive connected continuously? Or can I hook up external drive periodically?...
  9. backup to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    backup to external hard drive: The backup to external hard drive will not perform. All kinds of errors and it says it did not backup. What? Am I so stupid that I cannot tell it what drive to back up to? It wants to choose for me and then does not like it's choice. Where are the real settings so I can...
  10. File History backups from 2 hard drives?

File History backups from 2 hard drives?: Hi everybody, First time here and I would like to put out a question concerning File History. My PC has several hard drives, drive C:\ of course with the OS and programs (M.2 drive) and drive D:\, an SSD for my data, mainly photos. The backups are done to a third,...