Windows 10: Trying to Boot form Recover Media

Discus and support Trying to Boot form Recover Media in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; HiI'm trying to boot my PC from a recovery media disk after my installation became corrupted. It boots up at first giving me the blue Microsoft logo... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Barriston, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Barriston Win User

Trying to Boot form Recover Media

HiI'm trying to boot my PC from a recovery media disk after my installation became corrupted. It boots up at first giving me the blue Microsoft logo and loading icon but then the screen goes black and nothing else happens. I'm not sure if I'm missing something in the Bios setup, I have the optical drive as the first boot option, the Storage Boot Option Control is set to Legacy and Secure boot is disabled.Any ideas what might be the issue?Thanks

:)

Barriston, Sep 28, 2022
  2. Bree Win User

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

3. Windows 10 won't boot, repair, recover or reinstall

Thank you, Gerard! I appreciate your help.

I tried using Win 10 boot media to reinstall from scratch. Install chugs away for a while then shows me a list of partitions on my hard drive. No matter which I select, Windows can't be installed because they're GPT partitions.

I've also tried running chkdsk /r /x as suggested in another post. That seemed to run without any problems, but when I restarted I eventually got a blue screen with error 0xC0000021a.

At this point it's looking like I need to completely reformat the disk and reinstall Windows from the boot media. Is that the next step? I've recovered my data - which is all still accessible.

Outpost_CX, Sep 28, 2022
  4. Trying to Boot form Recover Media

Installation media boots to command prompt

I do not believe its a keyboard malfunction because same thing happens with usb keyboard. Is that what you mean by external? I tried installing using an external optical drive also but get the same results.

I created a windows 10 x64 installer via microsoft media creation tool. I have used 2 different drives that i know be in working order. I also created a dvd installer via media creation tool as well..
    When i boot to the DVD i see the circles. i didnt notice windows logo but above the circles had the HP logo. before that i get the boot to cd/dvd option.

When installing via the usb installer since i have both x32 and x64 on it i choose the x64 option and then i see the spinning circles but boots to command prompt after that. i dont see anything before that.

I know all my installers are good. I even tried to boot to an official windows 8.1 disc and the same thing happens..

I have reset bios to default. I made sure the secure boot is turned on. I guess i could try turning it off to allow legacy but i know for a fact i do not need to do that with these installers. but i could try. any other thoughts?

carlos28355, Sep 28, 2022
Thema:

Trying to Boot form Recover Media

1. Trying to Boot form Recover Media - Similar Threads - Trying Boot form

2. Stuck in boot manager loop trying to recover my files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in boot manager loop trying to recover my files.: Hi everyone,I am having trouble fixing a problem with my laptop. When I start up my laptop I get a "Default boot device is missing or boot failed. Insert recovery media and hit any key. Then select 'boot manager' to choose a new boot device or to boot recovery media".This...
  3. Stuck in boot manager loop trying to recover my files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in boot manager loop trying to recover my files.: Hi everyone,I am having trouble fixing a problem with my laptop. When I start up my laptop I get a "Default boot device is missing or boot failed. Insert recovery media and hit any key. Then select 'boot manager' to choose a new boot device or to boot recovery media".This...
  4. Trying to Boot form Recover Media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to Boot form Recover Media: HiI'm trying to boot my PC from a recovery media disk after my installation became corrupted. It boots up at first giving me the blue Microsoft logo and loading icon but then the screen goes black and nothing else happens. I'm not sure if I'm missing something in the Bios...
  5. Trying to Boot form Recover Media

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to Boot form Recover Media: HiI'm trying to boot my PC from a recovery media disk after my installation became corrupted. It boots up at first giving me the blue Microsoft logo and loading icon but then the screen goes black and nothing else happens. I'm not sure if I'm missing something in the Bios...
  6. How recover file form Defender quarantine

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How recover file form Defender quarantine: I use windows 20H2 and plugged in a usk drive with portable apps and windows defender deleted one of the files (a key reader & backup) to quarantine. I've used this stick many times and the file is clean, although I can understands as a key reader why Windows would block it...
  7. Surface Book no longer booting - trying to recover a few files

in Windows 10 Support
    Surface Book no longer booting - trying to recover a few files: Hello all, Running Windows 10 Home on a Surface Book 2nd generation - my wife's computer. It was occasionally blue screening for her a few months ago, and apparently following one incident, it will no longer boot past the surface logo - it bluescreens immediately with...
  8. Pc wont boot form dvd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pc wont boot form dvd: So a little backstory..I had dualbooted win10 and ubuntu, decided to get rid of linux, deleted its partitions.Next time i booted it showed grub recovery, i tried everything but i couldnt get rid of it, decided to format the whole hdd. Now im trying to install windows 10 from...
  9. Trying to recover photos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to recover photos: Hi, I have been trying to find some of my oldest digital photos for an upcoming family event and am struggling to access them using my relatively new Windows 10 PC. I seem to have 2 separate problems: 1. Oldest photos from around 2004-2008 ish were burned to CD-RW, on I...
  10. BSOD loop when windows tries to boot. This includes all forms of boot drive. HDD can boot...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD loop when windows tries to boot. This includes all forms of boot drive. HDD can boot...: A nice list of the most common errors I get: -'System service exception' -kernal auto boost lock acquisition with raised girl -I got the "Sign-in process initialisation has failed" pop-up -sometimes just a black screen -page fault in non paged area -APX index mismatch...