Windows 10: Trying to boot Windows 10 from HDD to a cloned SSD, having issues!

Discus and support Trying to boot Windows 10 from HDD to a cloned SSD, having issues! in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So, I have an issue I got an see computer that has good hardware but it's slow and muddy. Long story short I got an SSD from a friend and I wiped my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/heyitschet, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Trying to boot Windows 10 from HDD to a cloned SSD, having issues!

So, I have an issue I got an see computer that has good hardware but it's slow and muddy. Long story short I got an SSD from a friend and I wiped my computer so I could clone it. I used Macrium Reflect and it seems to have worked just fine, it looks just like the tutorial told me.

However, when I went I to my BIOS I had several issues. First of all as an ASUS machine it has some weird custom BIOS screen. Second was that the second drive wasn't showing up. After making a few changes, enabling CSM, restarting a few times. I got it to offer to boot via the SSD. Only when I did, I just get kicked to a black screen telling me restart on a different boot.

I tried disabling secure boot (probably a mistake) and still nothing. It still launches when I change the boot order back to the original drive.

What the hell am I doing wrong? And what's with this custom BIOS screen, I learned the classic way, not this namby pamby child version. I have a link of a series of photos chronicling the hardware and software trials and tribulations.

Photos: http://imgur.com/gallery/GV2UqeZ

This rig is an AMD-FX 3.4Ghz 8-Core with 16GB DDR3L RAM, and a Radeon R7 370 with 4GB RAM. It's not state of the art, I just have a different and much better rig. But I want my old one in top shape as well, especially when I can improve it.

submitted by /u/heyitschet
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/heyitschet, Jan 28, 2020
  2. BhaumikS Win User

Cloning HDD having Windows 10 to SSD

Hello,

If I clone HDD having windows 10 to SSD then will it also copy the drivers and all?

I am thinking to use cloning software available on internet like EaseUS, Partionwizard, etc.

Can anyone confirms that If I clone then will I get everything as it is there in HDD with driver and when I boot SSD then do I need to reinstall the driver again?

Thanks in advance.

BhaumikS, Jan 28, 2020
  3. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jan 28, 2020
  4. BhaumikS Win User

Trying to boot Windows 10 from HDD to a cloned SSD, having issues!

Cloning HDD having Windows 10 to SSD

Thanks for the help.

I will try out.

BhaumikS, Jan 28, 2020
Thema:

Trying to boot Windows 10 from HDD to a cloned SSD, having issues!

1. Trying to boot Windows 10 from HDD to a cloned SSD, having issues! - Similar Threads - Trying boot HDD

2. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?: I've recently got my new SSD and cloned the HDD to it. When I went back to the BIOS to set the boot priority and restarted the computer, it wouldn't boot Windows 10 "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". My SSD is...
  3. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?: I've recently got my new SSD and cloned the HDD to it. When I went back to the BIOS to set the boot priority and restarted the computer, it wouldn't boot Windows 10 "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". My SSD is...
  4. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot: Full details - I bought a new Samsung SSD for my laptop, put it into the spare M.2 NVME slot, cloned my OEM installed SSD onto it using Samsung Data Migration, removed the OEM SSD, booted from the new one and it worked like a charm. Now, I tried to do the same thing with my...
  6. Cloning an SSD from an HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning an SSD from an HDD: Im planning on swapping out my laptops HDD with an SSD, and I was wondering if the OS clones to the new drive? Also I have a few programs that have licenses using ilok so would those carry over too or would i have to authenticate my software again? Thanks in advance!...
  7. Cloning Windows from an HDD to an SSD

Cloning Windows from an HDD to an SSD: I'm trying to clone my Windows PC. I have a 220GB SSD installed with a 1 TB HDD. What I'm trying to do is clone Windows and leave my documents and Images etc: on the HDD. When setting up the cloning software I have deleted the "Users" folder from the cloning operation. I now...
  8. Cloning HDD having Windows 10 to SSD

Cloning HDD having Windows 10 to SSD: Hello, If I clone HDD having windows 10 to SSD then will it also copy the drivers and all? I am thinking to use cloning software available on internet like EaseUS, Partionwizard, etc. Can anyone confirms that If I clone then will I get everything as it is there in HDD...
  9. SSD not booting Windows 10 after cloning from HDD.

SSD not booting Windows 10 after cloning from HDD.: I recently purchased a Sandisk 120GB SSD to use for running my OS from. I formatted the disk as normal then ran the EaseUS todo backup to clone the data. The cloning seemed to be successful as the SSD had all the data from the HDD including Windows 10. However when I try...
  10. Can't Boot Win10 from SSD (HDD clone)

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Boot Win10 from SSD (HDD clone): I've a 2TB Toshiba HDD and recently purchased a 480GB PNY SSD. I would like to migrate all the data the HDD contains to the SSD, use the SSD as my main drive and just dump movies, photos etc. to the HDD later. Since I've only about 300GB on the HDD, I wanted to a direct...