Windows 10: Trying to change boot configuration, but BitLocker prompts recovery mode - except I run...

Discus and support Trying to change boot configuration, but BitLocker prompts recovery mode - except I run... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am optimizing my Wintows 10 laptop by changing the boot settings to use all of my processors, not GUI boot, and a timeout of only 5 seconds.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SwanthonySwan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Trying to change boot configuration, but BitLocker prompts recovery mode - except I run...

I am optimizing my Wintows 10 laptop by changing the boot settings to use all of my processors, not GUI boot, and a timeout of only 5 seconds.

However, when I click apply, this prompt shows up:

Trying to change boot configuration, but BitLocker prompts recovery mode - except I run... 04d1e8f8-3c55-49d7-ada2-1e17cfad040b?upload=true.png

...Except that I don't have BitLocker installed and I run Windows 10 Home edition, which does not come with BitLocker. Why do I get this prompt? Is it safe to proceed? Will I lose access to my hard drive if I do so? If I DO have a recovery key, how do I find it and write it down into a safe place?

Thank you all for your help.

:)

SwanthonySwan, Nov 25, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

- that gives me a 454 'Unexpected error' This tells me that the BCD is partially corrupted.

The commands: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
    or: %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c reagentc /boottore&shutdown /r /f /t 00
    should boot into Recovery if everything is configured correctly.
    FYI, If Windows is configured correctly:
    1. If Reagentc is disabled, you still can get into Recovery but with limited options.
    2. If Reagentc is enabled, you'll get all options.
    3. If you boot Windows using Recovery USB stick, You'll get into Recovery with couple of options missing.

Here's my suggestion if you want to try:
    OPTION 1: Will save the trouble of re-install Windows.

1. Download the image of my first 3 partitions (450MB Recovery, 100 MB EFI partition, and 16MB unformatted primary)
      EFI_Boot-00-00.7z - Google Drive
    2. Run Macrium and restore the image from step 1, overwriting your existing 1st three partitions, leaving C alone.
    3. Delete the 490MB Recovery partition.
    4. From Macrium, run fix boot problems.
    5. Reboot. Open Admin command prompt then run Reagentc /info to make sure that it is enabled. If not, enable it.
      if failed to enable, reboot and try again.
    OPTION 2: Assuming you've already had Windows backup with Macrium.

1. Wipe out the first 5 parttiions. (450MB, 100MB, 16MB, C Drive, 480MB)
    2. Fresh install Windows 10
    3. Restore C drive from backup image, run fix boot problems
    4. repeat step 5 from OPTION 1 above.

topgundcp, Nov 25, 2018
  3. Recovery image not working - Windows could not update the boot configuration

Hi Paulie,

This issue might occur due to the damaged/corrupted boot records. We suggest that you recreate the boot configuration manually. Follow the steps below:

• Boot into System Recovery Options, and select the Command prompt entry (It will open the
      Command Prompt at boot).
    • Select your admin account, and enter your account password to continue.
    • Type the command chkdsk /r.
    • After the check disk is completed, you may try booting the computer and check if that resolves the issue. If the issue still persists; then, try running the
      SFC scan using SFC /SCANNOW command to rebuild/recover the corrupted system files on the computer.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Nov 25, 2018
  4. Trying to change boot configuration, but BitLocker prompts recovery mode - except I run...

BitLocker recovery key prompt on startup

Hi Kala,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you recently made any changes on the device?

You may refer the article BitLocker
    asks for recovery key at Boot
    and follow the suggestions.

Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems
    resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If you still have has issues, you may also contact

Dell technical support

Hope it helps,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Nov 25, 2018
Thema:

Trying to change boot configuration, but BitLocker prompts recovery mode - except I run...

1. Trying to change boot configuration, but BitLocker prompts recovery mode - except I run... - Similar Threads - Trying change boot

2. Bitlocker recovery key prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker recovery key prompt: Hello,I was prompted for bitlocker recovery key when I tried to boot my windows 10 laptob recently 29th Jan, 2024.Did the recent security update trigger this for anyone else or is it alarming that my device could be compromised? I have run some scans and didn't find any...
  3. Bitlocker recovery key prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker recovery key prompt: Hello,I was prompted for bitlocker recovery key when I tried to boot my windows 10 laptob recently 29th Jan, 2024.Did the recent security update trigger this for anyone else or is it alarming that my device could be compromised? I have run some scans and didn't find any...
  4. Bitlocker recovery key prompt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Blue screen trying to run the Bitlocker recovery mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screen trying to run the Bitlocker recovery mode: I was encrypting a secondary os, w10, and the process required to restart the PC. By default restarted in the primary os, w11, when I tried to continue the encrypting process of the secondary disk, bitlocker asks for the recovery kid. When I insert the correct recovery Key...
  6. Blue screen trying to run the Bitlocker recovery mode

Blue screen trying to run the Bitlocker recovery mode: I was encrypting a secondary os, w10, and the process required to restart the PC. By default restarted in the primary os, w11, when I tried to continue the encrypting process of the secondary disk, bitlocker asks for the recovery kid. When I insert the correct recovery Key...
  7. Blue screen trying to run the Bitlocker recovery mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Bitlocker recovery prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker recovery prompt: Hello,I am having a bit locker recovery prompt, and when i log into my MS account I don't have the keys stored in it as it says no keys found.I have reached out to MS support and they have simply put me through to the manufacturer saying its a hardware issue.Can you please...
  9. Bitlocker recovery prompt

Bitlocker recovery prompt: Hello,I am having a bit locker recovery prompt, and when i log into my MS account I don't have the keys stored in it as it says no keys found.I have reached out to MS support and they have simply put me through to the manufacturer saying its a hardware issue.Can you please...
  10. Bitlocker Recovery Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker Recovery Mode: My Bitlocker has been triggered in the safe boot mode and unfortunately I can't recover the Bitlocker Recovery Key/Password. I have tried all the options of recovering the the Bitlocker Recovery Key but the results aren't positive. The only option left now is to erase all the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bit locker recovery debugging mode