Windows 10: Trying to change 'FriendlyName' in registry

Discus and support Trying to change 'FriendlyName' in registry in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to change the name of a scanner in regedit via 'FriendlyName' in 'ControlSet001\Enum'. I have changed ownership to all Administrators, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by imacken, May 7, 2017.

1. imacken Win User

Trying to change 'FriendlyName' in registry

I'm trying to change the name of a scanner in regedit via 'FriendlyName' in 'ControlSet001\Enum'. I have changed ownership to all Administrators, but the original value keeps coming back after a reboot.
    Any help on this?

:)

imacken, May 7, 2017
  2. Holger Z Win User

Rename bluetooth device (surface pro 3, windows 10)

I had the same issue with 5 identical GPS Trackers. I solved it permanently (to be exact: semi permanent, as any Windows 10 upgrade deletes any paired devices and my names!!!)

The way is tricky and shouldn't be gone by unexperienced users.

First i need regedit with SYSTEM access, i've done this using a cmd-window opend like this: PsExec.exe -i -s -d CMD

where PsExec is from sysinterals suite. Even as Administrator you aren't able to edit the needed registry keys and to avoid changing user rights it's best to do it as SYSTEM

typing whoami should respond: nt-authority\system

type regedit to open registry editor

navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\BTHENUM

Find your device. You can find the displayed name two levels down in the value "FriendlyName". Something like: .\Dev_001DA6C00CFA\9&4d3c8c5&0&BluetoothDevice_001DA6C00CFA

FriendlyName := Your Bluetooth Device

Now connect your Device

Then change the FriendlyName Value to whatever you want.

I don't know if the following steps need to be done with SYSTEM rights, but i've done so:

open the control panel, go to devices, select the device you just renamed in the registry, open its properties and under the bluetooth-tab change the name to the same name as in the registry.

Now refresh everything and the name should be the new one permanently.

Sometimes it happened, that i had to do this 2 or at max 3 times, but then it always worked for me. I can't tell why it isn't always working the first time. Very important is that the device is connected, if not it will not work at all.

It's possible that software depends on the device name, i had this with the serial ports of my GPS Trackers which i renamed too. The software didn't recognize them until i rerenamed them starting with their initial name and appending some individual string.

Holger Z, May 7, 2017
  3. Max_ZQ Win User
    Storage Spaces, Win 10, Can't Add new drive, error 0x00000032

Update:

Resetting faulty disk did help to re-attach fixed disk.

I'll remind - I've removed 1 disk from RAID5 array, fixed it (hopefully), but could not re-attach it back.

Necessary steps to re-attach:

1) Run CMD as Admin

2) run "powershell" command

3) In the powershell get list of your disks with names/ids:

Get-PhysicalDisk | ft FriendlyName, SerialNumber, UniqueId -auto

You'll get a list like this:

PS C:\Users\Admin> Get-PhysicalDisk | ft FriendlyName, SerialNumber, UniqueId -auto

FriendlyName SerialNumber UniqueId

------------ ------------ --------

Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB 0025_3851_71B0_F458. eui.0025385171B0F458

ST2000LM015-2E8174 WDZ24LXS {90dbac25-f5dd-ea00-8e51-4ca8414aa21f}

ST2000LM015-2E8174 WDZ27TPY {b7f23aa9-b6bb-c5b0-3ab7-0719def510e8}

ST2000LM015-2E8174 WDZ28NJK {b9bea270-c3b6-0f9c-2759-3d6d0631e40b}

ST2000LM015-2E8174 WDZ27943 {e0996a91-1e6a-f88d-c339-83963c369e1d}

4) Reset problematic disk by FriendlyName or by UniqueId (only one command is needed as they do the same):

Reset-PhysicalDisk -UniqueId "90dbac25-f5dd-ea00-8e51-4ca8414aa21f"

In my case FriendlyName was the same for all disks, so I could not reset it by FriendlyName (it would break the RAID Storage), but you can rename disks in Storage Spaces one by one (e.g. "ST2000LM015-2E8174" to "Disk1", "Disk2"...), and then run:

Reset-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName "Disk1"

5) Re-attach the disk to the Storage Space.

Max_ZQ, May 7, 2017
  4. LMiller7 Win User

I don't know if it will make a difference in this case but normally you would modify the values under the "CurrentControlSet" key rather than than "ControlSet001" or any of the other numbered control sets that may be present.

LMiller7, May 7, 2017
  5. imacken Win User
    Thanks for that.
    Exactly the same situation if I make the change in 'CurrentControlSet'. Whatever change I make, it reverts to what it was originally after a reboot.

imacken, May 7, 2017
  6. mrgeek Win User
    "Whatever change I make, it reverts to what it was originally after a reboot."

Try turning off fast startup in Power & sleep settings. I've found that this makes some registry changes, I've made, stick, as It stores it's own registry state to enable faster start. Easy enough to try and change back if you really want it to save a couple seconds at start..

mrgeek, May 8, 2017
  7. imacken Win User
    Thanks but no joy.
    All changes to both ControlSet001 or CurrentControlset just get reset after reboot.
    This is really annoying! for some reason in Printers and Scanners, one of my printer scanners is called KarasiPhone and I have no idea where that came from!

imacken, May 8, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 8, 2017
  9. imacken Win User
    Thanks but that is exactly what I do! Everything looks OK. I make the changes, and when I go to Device Manager, all the imaging devices are correctly renamed, BUT, whenever I reboot, the names revert to the old ones.
    This really is driving me crazy!

imacken, May 8, 2017
  10. imacken Win User
    Can nobody help with this?

imacken, May 12, 2017
  11. jl2509 Win User
    Hi Just a few thoughts?

Check to make sure permissions are set to "Computername\Administrators" not "Computername\Administrator"

also try:
    Althought this solution is pre windos 10, there may be a registry entry from any upgrades. Worth a look anyhoo..
    Look for a registry entry - DWORD "NoSaveSettings"
    If present, normally found in one of the keys below.Delete the key if found and restart.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ExplorerHKEY_USERS\.Default\Sof tware\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ExplorerHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Window s\CurrentVersion\Policies\ExplorerHKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions

also try:
    You may be able to prevent this by making yourself both the owner and the only person who has full access to the key. Ensure that "System" and "Everyone" has read-access only.

also try:
    Deleting the key in question and renter manually
    Sometimes a corrupt key may appear to be working as expected!

HTH

jl2509, May 12, 2017
  12. imacken Win User
    Thanks for that. Unfortunately, none of your suggestions worked! (Most of the entries didn't exist in the registry).
    Here's what is happening. See attached screen grab. This is one of the entries for one of my HP Envy 4520 printer/scanners.
    You can see the FriendlyName is set to 'Karas-iPhone....'. Kara was my son's girlfriend a long time ago, and her iPhone was connected to our wifi. How this has been associated with my new(!) HP 4520 printer, I'll never know.
    Anyway, no matter what I do - change, delete, etc. - in regedit, this always reverts to 'Karas-iPhone' after a reboot!

imacken, May 12, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Are you actually launching regedit by rt clicking and 'Run as admin'?

As to whether you'll get specific help, it may depend if someone who reads this has done it. I for one would be uncomfortable changing registry permissions to try it.

And note: a fair number of threads started receive 0 answers 'cos people can't think of sthg helpful or don't have specific experience relevant to the issue.

dalchina, May 12, 2017
  14. imacken Win User
    Shouldn't need to right click and select 'run as...' as I am the administrator, and regedit does ask if I want to allow changes.
    I wasn't complaining about no response. I was just surprised as over the years on various Windows versions, these forums have always produced an answer!

imacken, May 12, 2017
  15. jl2509 Win User
    not entirely true about being an Administrator...

"Run as Aministrator" is just a command, enabling the program to continue some operations that require the Administrator privileges, without displaying the UAC alerts.Even if you are a member of administrators group, some applications need the Administrator privileges to continue running, because the application is considered not safe, if it is doing some special operation, like editing a system file or registry entries.
    If you execute the application with 'run as administrator' command, you are notifying the system that your application is safe and doing something that requires the administrator privileges, with your confirmation.

Back to the issue and assuming this is a AIO printer scanner

I had a smilar issue with a network scanner name and resolved this by creating a test Administrators account. The issue was not apparent in the new account so I assumed it was only a software glitch.

Back in the original account,
    I turned off automatic setup of network connected devices in Advanced Settings within Network and Sharing CentreI removed all drivers especially from the PrinterServer properties type "Print Management" in Cortana, ensure you remove all printer driver packages. "You may need to turn of printer spooler in services manager "services.msc" and turn back on to allow you to delete all driver packages.

Reboot the PC

Installed the printer/scanner and it resoved my network name issue.

worth a try, otherwise I am at a loss without hands on, sorry

HTH

jl2509, May 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Trying to change 'FriendlyName' in registry - Similar Threads - Trying change 'FriendlyName'

2. My registry keep changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My registry keep changing: Is it normal for certain registry values to change on their own? Like during the updates, reboots, or shutting down and later when turning the PC on? My registry values like SvcHostSplitThresholdInKB and those in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows...
  3. Changed program files in registry

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changed program files in registry: Greetings everyone!. This is a quick question. In the registry, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion I changed all of the C:\ letters of my drives and paths to D:\ basically just changed the C:\ to D:\, right after I closed the registry, I read that...
  4. Registry change being reset

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Registry change being reset: Hi, I have recently bought a Dell G5 5590 i7950H laptop (with SSD and GeForce RTX 2060 6GB graphics card). Due to an aggressive form of power management for the audio system, when I have some speakers plugged into the headphones socket, the line is turned off with a loud...
  5. Cannot access to FriendlyName via DirectShow PropertyBag in AVStream WDK

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot access to FriendlyName via DirectShow PropertyBag in AVStream WDK: Hi everyone. I'm developing a virtual camera based on AVStream Camera Sample Driver example from Microsoft available to download at the following link: https://github.com/microsoft/Windows-driver-samples/tree/master/avstream/avscamera After installing it, I try to read...
  6. undo changes in the windows registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    undo changes in the windows registry: Good morning, I downloaded an exe file but I couldn´t open it or execute it. Hence I searched in the internet what could I do and windows support told me to do the following changes. Haga clic en Iniciobotón y escriba regedit en el cuadro debúsqueda Haga clic en...
  7. Undo registry changes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Undo registry changes: So some time ago I made a .reg file to change the windows default font. How do I undo these changes? Like it works but not all the time, sometimes there are these block placeholders in some places. I followed this guide. Thanks in advance! submitted by /u/HighwayMcGee...
  8. Change registry value in dynamically created registry key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change registry value in dynamically created registry key: Hello, I need find a way to disable the onboard microphone on a number of Windows 10 laptops I am imaging via SCCM OSD. After a lot of research it seems the best way to do this is by changing a registry value that controls whether the mic is enabled or disabled. I've...
  9. need to change registry settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    need to change registry settings: I can't set my network as metered connection. I wanna know how to set registry I am using fresh install of Windows 10 pro. I wanna know from step 1. Sorry for wrong English....
  10. Cannot make changes in Registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot make changes in Registry: I've logged in as administrator. I run regedit as an administrator, but when I go to make changes, it just says access denied. I'm trying to fix event id 10016 errors. I've been able to take ownership, but can't attain full access. Any suggestions? Later....... I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant change friendlyname network registery

2. scanner friendly resume from registry windows 10

3. how to make friendlyname changes in registry permanent

4. storagespaces uniqueid resitry,
  5. regedit value name: FriendlyName,
  6. change friendlyname office with regedit,
  7. windows registry scanner friendly name