Windows 10: Trying to change my usb system file to Fat32

Discus and support Trying to change my usb system file to Fat32 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; i went to the disk management and right clicked on my usb flash drive and i went to the file system to change the format, it only gives me exfat and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Teknosfinest, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Trying to change my usb system file to Fat32

i went to the disk management and right clicked on my usb flash drive and i went to the file system to change the format, it only gives me exfat and ntfs, it was fat32 but i used rufus to install windows on it but i didn't need it, but when i went to format it, it doesn't give me the option to go back to fat32 file system, can anyone help?

:)

Teknosfinest, Nov 4, 2019

2. USB media formatting recquirerments, FAT32 or NTFS?

Hi,

It doesn't matter if it is FAT32 or NTFS, it depends on the user preference.

For more information about FAT32, and NTFS, kindly check the details below:

NT File System (NTFS):

• NTFS is the modern file system Windows likes to use by default. When you install Windows, it formats your system drive with the NTFS file system.
    • It works with all versions of Windows, but read-only with Mac by default, and may be read-only by default with some Linux distributions. Other devices—with the exception of Microsoft’s Xbox One—probably won’t support NTFS.

FAT32:

• FAT32 is the oldest of the three file systems available to Windows. It was introduced all the way back in Windows 95 to replace the older FAT16 file system used in MS-DOS and Windows 3.
    • Works with all versions of Windows, Mac, Linux, game consoles, and practically anything with a USB port.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards.

Robelene Win, Nov 4, 2019
  3. Unable to open files on FAT32 Drives (Do not have permission)

Hi Chad,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I’ll certainly help you with this.

I would like to let you know that Windows 10 doesn't support FAT32 formatted drives. I suggest you to take the back up of the files and format the drive in NTFS format. To do so, follow these steps:

• Connect the USB drive to the computer and right click on it.

• Select format and set the file system to
      NTFS(default).

• Select click on Start to format the USB drive.

• Now, transfer the files to the drive and check if you are able to open the files.

Hope this will help you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Nov 4, 2019
  4. Trying to change my usb system file to Fat32

Formatting USB drive to FAT32 file in Windows 10

Hi Rom,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

We will help you in resolving your issue.

Before assisting you further, I would like to ask you few questions related to the issue.

Does the issue persist specifically with one USB drive?

Does the USB drive work fine on other devices?

When you tried to format the drive, did you get any error message?

Are you able to view the contents in the USB drive when you connect it to the PC?

To format your USB drive to FAT32, follow the steps below:

Step 1: Connect your USB drive to the device and click on
    Open folder to view files
    option.

Step 2: Right click on your USB drive and click on Format option.

Step 3: From the window, select FAT32 from the drop down bar under
    File system.

Step 4: Click on Start and OK
    to commence the formatting process.

Step 5: Once the formatting is completed click on OK.

Hope this helps!

We will be happy to assist you with any issues pertaining to Windows.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 4, 2019
Thema:

Trying to change my usb system file to Fat32

1. Trying to change my usb system file to Fat32 - Similar Threads - Trying change usb

2. 64GB usb to FAT32

in Windows 10 Gaming
    64GB usb to FAT32: I'am a dj and dj devices only support fat32. I can format my usb to FAT32 but is this process harmful? or i need a new 32GB usb? can someone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/64gb-usb-to-fat32/0f612142-3a6b-40df-b864-e1e66189e929
  3. 64GB usb to FAT32

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    64GB usb to FAT32: I'am a dj and dj devices only support fat32. I can format my usb to FAT32 but is this process harmful? or i need a new 32GB usb? can someone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/64gb-usb-to-fat32/0f612142-3a6b-40df-b864-e1e66189e929
  4. 64GB usb to FAT32

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Read only fat32 usb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Read only fat32 usb: I have a REALLY old fat32 formatted usb with 8gigs on it that is somehow formatted to read only. how would i go about regaining ownership? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-fat32-usb/f80270e1-b65f-4791-9762-418466d4822e
  6. Read only fat32 usb

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Read only fat32 usb: I have a REALLY old fat32 formatted usb with 8gigs on it that is somehow formatted to read only. how would i go about regaining ownership? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-fat32-usb/f80270e1-b65f-4791-9762-418466d4822e
  7. Read only fat32 usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. How to format USB in Fat32?

How to format USB in Fat32?: For window 7 & 10, I can only format USB in exFat, when I try to create Macrium Rescue Media, it mentions that GBP format is not supported. I would like to know on how to format USB drive in Fat 32 format under window 7 & 10. My notebook only offer UEFI under window 10, MBR...
  9. change FAT32 USB to NTFS

change FAT32 USB to NTFS: I purchased a 16 GB USB drive to use as ReadyBoost. In reading I discovered that NTFS is best because you can use more of the space and that you can convert FAT32 to NFTS. I had already devoted the drive to ReadyBoost before I tried this so maybe that is my problem....
  10. USB install - Fat32 OR NTFS ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB install - Fat32 OR NTFS ?: Fresh Installing Windows 10 and before downloading file, I was thinking if I should format my drive to Fat32 OR NTFS OR exFAT? Does it make any difference ? - Plz Guide me. 13799