Windows 10: Trying to close Outlook closes windows behind it

Discus and support Trying to close Outlook closes windows behind it in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Here's the scenario: running a second monitor from my laptop, monitor is to the right of the laptop. Outlook is maximized on the second display to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Steven42, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Steven42 Win User

Trying to close Outlook closes windows behind it

Here's the scenario: running a second monitor from my laptop, monitor is to the right of the laptop. Outlook is maximized on the second display to the right, along with other windows explorer, web browser, etc.

When Outlook is on top and I go to the top right to close Outlook, it actually closes the windows behind it. Outlook is maximized, and the red "X" highlights when I hover over to the top right, but clicking DOES NOT close Outlook. If I want to close Outlook, I actually have to move the cursor closer to the middle of the "X".

So I have lost several windows with multiple tabs open due to this bug. There have been so many other issues with Outlook that honestly I hardly have any expectations left for the software, but this really takes the cake. Microsoft if you haven't figured out how to make maximizing and closing open windows work by now, I just don't know what to say. It's like Coca-Cola forgot their secret recipe.

** Moved from: Outlook / Windows 10 / Microsoft 365 Family **

:)

Steven42, Sep 16, 2020

2. Outlook not closing after closing WMDC.

I am running W7 on a new PC. I also have Office 2007 which includes Outlook. I sync my PDA to Outlook using WMDC and that is, I think, where my problem lies. When I close down I get the message 'Can't close down, Outlook is still running' but
    it isn't. I always disconnect my PDA, close WMDC, and Outlook and then try to close the PC. But I keep getting the message ' Outlook is still running.' I then have to force Outlook to close before the PC will shut down.

I have opened Outlook in safe-mode, closed it again, rebooted the PC and then it is fine, for a while, but then the annoying message returns.

Can anyone offer any help here, please.

Ray

Ray of Cannock, Sep 16, 2020
  3. Outlook opens and then closes

My operating system is Windows 10 Pro V2004 19041.388 and I am using Microsoft 365 V2006 build 13001-20384. This strange Outlook behavior started this morning - Outlook opens for about a second and then closes. I have done the full online repair and get the same result. I am able to start Outlook in safe mode and I don't see any problems there.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Ak

alkaufmann, Sep 16, 2020
  4. Trying to close Outlook closes windows behind it

Outlook opens and then closes

They fixed something server side.

The person I was helping here in Ontario had theirs working by 6:00pm local time yesterday. They did nothing to their device.

Is yours still doing the same thing. If so something else that can happen is Outlook doesn't actually closed correctly. Look through task manager and see if you see Outlook. If so end task and then try starting.

Caledon Ken, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

Trying to close Outlook closes windows behind it

1. Trying to close Outlook closes windows behind it - Similar Threads - Trying close Outlook

2. Outlook not closing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Outlook not closing: When I open Outlook it says I did not close down the previous window which I did. Stephen Milner https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-not-closing/76956c5b-33aa-44b0-a63c-8e7638850c6c
  3. Outlook not closing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Outlook not closing: When I open Outlook it says I did not close down the previous window which I did. Stephen Milner https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-not-closing/76956c5b-33aa-44b0-a63c-8e7638850c6c
  4. Outlook not closing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Outlook closes automatically.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Outlook closes automatically.: Outlook closes automatically. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-closes-automatically/dc5dca62-8303-4bb6-8fe9-d0edd8c9968b
  6. Outlook opens and then closes

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook opens and then closes: My operating system is Windows 10 Pro V2004 19041.388 and I am using Microsoft 365 V2006 build 13001-20384. This strange Outlook behavior started this morning - Outlook opens for about a second and then closes. I have done the full online repair and get the same result. I am...
  7. Outlook opens and then immediately closes

Outlook opens and then immediately closes: A computer friend has helped me some. We've disabled a McAfee Addon, but still doing the same thing. How do I repair this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-opens-and-then-immediately-closes/ac5e4c73-200d-425d-ad84-6d84b917e198
  8. Outlook hangs and doesn't close.

Outlook hangs and doesn't close.: Outlook often hangs and never closes. I see a notification icon and if I hover over it, it says "Outlook is closing". But it never does. I'm normally unaware of this until I try to open Outlook to view my email. Any ideas about how to determine why it hangs? Sam...
  9. Outlook 2016 not closing properly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Outlook 2016 not closing properly: When I shut down my PC I often get a message that Outlook 2016 is still open even though I have closed it using File/Exit. I am then invited to stop shutdown or shutdown anyway in which case Outlook reopens on start up the next day and it then sometimes will not synchronise...
  10. Outlook won't close properly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Outlook won't close properly: When I close Outlook by clicking on the X in the upper right, Outlook won't close. The suggested repairs failed. To open Outlook again, I had to first close it in Task Manager. I closed Outlook by going to FILE, then EXIT. Now Outlook closes properly, and I can reopen it...