Windows 10: trying to connect a shared folder from my PC with my MAC

Discus and support trying to connect a shared folder from my PC with my MAC in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Split from this thread. I'm trying to connect a shared folder from my PC with Windows 10 2004 with my MAC. I am not very tech savvy but I was able... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JaneLarson3, Oct 12, 2020.

1. trying to connect a shared folder from my PC with my MAC

Split from this thread.​

I'm trying to connect a shared folder from my PC with Windows 10 2004 with my MAC. I am not very tech savvy but I was able to save files to this folder and connect with my Mac to access and retrieve accounting files. Now I don't know what to do.

Thank you for your help

:)

JaneLarson3, Oct 12, 2020
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile trying to connect a shared folder from my PC with my MAC :)

Frogger, Oct 12, 2020
  3. Share files on Windows and Mac PC when connected to WIFI

Hi Simon,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the PC’s are not able to see each other under network connections when connected through WIFI. In order to make the PC’s visible under Network, the network sharing needs to be enabled on both the PC’s.

To turn on network discovery and sharing settings on Windows PC you can follow the steps mentioned below.

Follow the steps mentioned below to enable SMB feature for file sharing.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type appwiz.cpl and hit enter.
    3. Now on the left hand pane click on Turn Windows features on or off.
    4. Now on the Windows feature window scroll down and check the box next to
      SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support.
    5. Click on OKand
      Restartthe PC.

Follow the steps mentioned below to turn on the network and file sharing.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type control and hit enter.
    3. Click on ‘View by’ and change it to
      large icons.
    4. Now look for Network and Sharing Center and click on it.
    5. On the left hand pane click on
      Change Advanced Sharing Settings.
    6. Now under Private (current profile) section check the box next to
      Turn on network discovery and Turn on file and printer sharing.
    7. Now click on Save changes.

Now to turn on file sharing on Mac you can follow the articles

How to connect with File Sharing on your Mac
    and

MacOS Sierra: Set up a Mac to share files with Windows users

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 12, 2020
  4. dashr Win User

trying to connect a shared folder from my PC with my MAC

Cant get Mac Book to share Windows 10 printer

Hello -

Been tearin' my hair out a little on this one, have scoured the net and posted on a couple Mac forums to no avail.

PC is a brand new tower running Windows 10 & I love it but I cant seem to get my Mac laptop to connect to the Kodak c310 AIO printer when I hook it up to the new tower. It connects to my old Mac Pro tower easily over the same LAN.

The LAN is an ether-net using a Linksys 4 port router. The Mac identifies the tower as being on the network and seems to try to print to the Kodak but then just hangs at sending the data. As I said above, it prints fine over the same network to my old Mac tower.

I have followed all the steps here: http://macs.about.com/od/printershar...-Mac.htm#step1

Enabled LPD protocol & printer sharing in Windows 10.

Any advice or suggestions most appreciated thanks for reading!

dashr, Oct 12, 2020
Thema:

trying to connect a shared folder from my PC with my MAC

1. trying to connect a shared folder from my PC with my MAC - Similar Threads - trying connect shared

2. Im trying to share files with my Mac and pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Im trying to share files with my Mac and pc: Got all the way until the point were I just need network credentials but I don't know the password keeps saying wrong how can I change a windows credentials password....
  3. Im trying to share files with my Mac and pc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Im trying to share files with my Mac and pc: Got all the way until the point were I just need network credentials but I don't know the password keeps saying wrong how can I change a windows credentials password....
  4. Im trying to share files with my Mac and pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Connecting my Mac to a Printer Shared by Windows Computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Connecting my Mac to a Printer Shared by Windows Computer: hi everyone, I need help into sharing my USB printer on my windows 10 machine with my MacBook that is connected to the wifi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-my-mac-to-a-printer-shared-by-windows/c0daa569-6bd4-4d08-a8c8-b0f68d6d51a6
  6. Connecting my Mac to a Printer Shared by Windows Computer

Connecting my Mac to a Printer Shared by Windows Computer: hi everyone, I need help into sharing my USB printer on my windows 10 machine with my MacBook that is connected to the wifi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-my-mac-to-a-printer-shared-by-windows/c0daa569-6bd4-4d08-a8c8-b0f68d6d51a6
  7. Wireless sharing from MAC to PC

Wireless sharing from MAC to PC: Hello,I'm trying to share some files from a Mac to my new PC and I'm having trouble connecting the two. When I try to connect from my Mac it asks for my user name and password to connect to the PC server but it doesn't accept the password and username that I usually use to...
  8. Wireless sharing from MAC to PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireless sharing from MAC to PC: Hello,I'm trying to share some files from a Mac to my new PC and I'm having trouble connecting the two. When I try to connect from my Mac it asks for my user name and password to connect to the PC server but it doesn't accept the password and username that I usually use to...
  9. Wireless sharing from MAC to PC

10. Can't connect to my PC from my Mac, Mac not showing up in my PC's network view

Can't connect to my PC from my Mac, Mac not showing up in my PC's network view: I just finished building a PC workstation and am trying to connect my PC to my Macs to share files. I'm new to the PC. In addition to my new Windows 10 workstation, I have a MacBook Pro and an iMac both running 10.14.5, and a Samsung laptop running Windows 7. I've never had...