Windows 10: Trying to create a Windows backup system image file via DVD

Discus and support Trying to create a Windows backup system image file via DVD in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; When I try to create a system backup image file using Windows 10 and I want to do this using DVD's it has the disk is too small. It's a standard size... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by seattle, Sep 22, 2016.

1. seattle Win User

Trying to create a Windows backup system image file via DVD

When I try to create a system backup image file using Windows 10 and I want to do this using DVD's it has the disk is too small. It's a standard size DVD.

With Windows 7 I was able to use these same DVD's and it took 3. I was able to successfully restore using those disks as well.

Why is it now telling me the disks are too small? You can use as many disks as necessary so how can a disk be too small?

:)

seattle, Sep 22, 2016
  2. MEH1951 Win User

How to back up my windows 10 system

Hi Thank you for the up date. Can I confirm that you can not use DVDs to back up your system image with windows 10.if so why could you with Windows 8.1

MEH1951, Sep 22, 2016
  3. KaleRyder Win User
    backup and restore (0x807800C5) and (0x8078004F)

The File History backup works fine. It's when I go to create a system image via control panel "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" that I have problems.

KaleRyder, Sep 22, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, it's great you're using imaging to protect your PC. However, Windows Backup and Restore proves somewhat unreliable and inflexible.

A DVD is much too small (4.7Gb). A system image would be 10's of Gb. I use a 2Tb USB drive for my images of all drives/partitions - allow at least twice your total data as a rough guide.

We recommend using Macrium Reflect (free); some use other 3rd party clients. Veeam Endpoint has been suggested by some; some use Easeus... I've found Aomei to be problematic in certain circumstances and couldn't figure out how to use it with Win 10's several partitions.

MR is more robust, more feature rich, and more flexible. However its GUI may take a bit of getting used to.

dalchina, Sep 22, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    MR will split up image file into number of smaller files eg 2 GB each so you can backup to multiple dvds.

cereberus, Sep 22, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    In the 'Good Old Days' I was very fond of Norton Ghost, but that's long been discontinued. Being short on time last July, I turned to Backup and Restore to make the System Image of my W7 PC before going for the upgrade. Yes, I had read all the stories about how temperamental it can be, but I've not had any problems (backing up or restoring both of which I've done frequently). It simple-minded, lacks any options to speak of (bar choosing which partitions to back up) but it's easy to use and seems to do the job.

Interestingly a 16GB system fits on just two 4.7GB DVDs - there must be some auto-selected compression for writing to DVDs (though it doesn't tell you it's going to, or offer any control over compression strength v. speed). An image to a USB HDD is more or less the same size as the used space on the drive being imaged, so no compression there (or any option to use it).

If you have the time to learn how to drive Macrium Reflect then I'm sure that's the better option - I didn't, and haven't regretted that (yet).

Regarding the 'this DVD is too small' error. I've never seen that one. Both Windows 10's 'Backup and restore (windows 7)' and the actual Windows 7 'Backup and restore' accepted the 4.7GB DVDs I use. Have you got any 3rd-part DVD burning software installed? If so, could that have set the system to expect dual-layer disks by default?

PS: if you must use Backup and Restore, always make the recovery CD at the same time and keep it with the DVDs. The only 'temperamental' thing I've found is that one from W7 doesn't like images made by 10 (and vice-versa). Oh, and I don't make a data backup, just the system image.

7. dalchina New Member
    It'll also be a great deal slower to burn to DVD.. my C: is 41Gb used with hardly any personal data; it takes some 12-15 mins to create an image via USB3 from SSD. However, using DVDs is a low cost way of keeping some backups off line longer term (say 10 years??).

dalchina, Sep 22, 2016
  8. Trying to create a Windows backup system image file via DVD

I use MR, too, for image backups and get around 50% compression or better.

So, given the 16GB example, that would probably fit onto two DVDs since the combined images would probably be less than 8GB.

In my case, Win10 takes about 26GB and fits into a 12GB compressed file -- with MR.

Mark Phelps, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Trying to create a Windows backup system image file via DVD - Similar Threads - Trying create backup

2. Create A System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create A System Image Backup: I'm trying to create a system image backup of my Windows 10 machine in case something goes wrong with one of its components, and unfortunately it says "Backup failed. Not enough disk space.". This is despite the fact that my external hard drive has 2.34 TB of free disk space,...
  3. Create A System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create A System Image Backup: I'm trying to create a system image backup of my Windows 10 machine in case something goes wrong with one of its components, and unfortunately it says "Backup failed. Not enough disk space.". This is despite the fact that my external hard drive has 2.34 TB of free disk space,...
  4. Create A System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Create a backup system image

Create a backup system image: Having a real issue with creating a backup system image on my wife's laptop.The last one was created January 23, 2022 with no problems but we have tried about five times and it completes to about 97% and then stalls. Looking at it, the backup is shown as still working but we...
  6. Create a backup system image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create a backup system image: Having a real issue with creating a backup system image on my wife's laptop.The last one was created January 23, 2022 with no problems but we have tried about five times and it completes to about 97% and then stalls. Looking at it, the backup is shown as still working but we...
  7. Create a backup system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Unable to create a system image backup

Unable to create a system image backup: I just updated my Windows 10 version to the May update today after the new update showed up in my windows updates. After installing the new Windows 10 May update I tried to make a system image of my hard drive onto my external 1TB external hard drive but I keep getting an...
  9. Create backup system image

Create backup system image: Trying to back up my hard drive as a "system image". I see the option in the videos, but when I click on Settings, Backup, the "system image" option is not there. It just says "save these files" and lists a bunch of data files. How to create a system image? The Microsoft...
  10. Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?

Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?: When i first installed Windows 10, and had all the drivers running, and minimal apps installed, i created a system image backup at that point, so if one day something goes wrong, and all else fails, i can restore to that point in time. This is backed up on an HDD, and we...