Windows 10: Trying to disable the search overlay that blocks the start menu

Discus and support Trying to disable the search overlay that blocks the start menu in Cortana to solve the problem; This keeps popping up whenever I press the start menu. I am trying to figure out a way to disable it but I don't even know what it's called. Anyone... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by NC6230, Jul 23, 2020.

1. NC6230 Win User

Trying to disable the search overlay that blocks the start menu

This keeps popping up whenever I press the start menu. I am trying to figure out a way to disable it but I don't even know what it's called. Anyone here know? Running Win10 Enterprise 2004. Blocks the regular start menu under it I have no idea what it is called nor how to disable it.

:)

NC6230, Jul 23, 2020
  2. NC6230 Win User

This keeps popping up whenever I press the start menu. I am trying to figure out a way to disable it but I don't even know what it's called. Anyone here know? Running Win10
    Enterprise 2004. Blocks the regular start menu under it I have no idea what it is called nor how to disable it.

NC6230, Aug 4, 2020
  3. disable the start menu search

Hi Darrell,

If you really don’t use Windows Search much, you can disable indexing completely by turning off the Windows Search service. However, disabling the open file menu is not possible in Windows 10.

To disable the Windows Search, kindly follow these steps:

• Click on Start and search for Services.
    • Select Services from the list of results.
    • On the right side of the Services window, find the
      Windows Search
      entry and click it twice.
    • In the Startup type drop-down menu, select the
      Disabled
      option. This will prevent Windows Search from loading the next time you start your computer.
    • Click the Stop button to go ahead and stop the Windows Search service now. When the service has stopped, click on
      Apply button.
    • Click on OK button, and then restart your computer.

Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Janeane Cru, Aug 4, 2020
  4. Trying to disable the search overlay that blocks the start menu

Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Trying to disable the search overlay that blocks the start menu - Similar Threads - Trying disable search

2. Search Menu Blocked

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search Menu Blocked: Hi, when i press the windows button and directly start typing to search something, the menu is blocked by a grey part, and it disappears when i tap anywhere on the search menu. Anyway to fix this?...
  3. Disable Start Menu Web Search?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable Start Menu Web Search?: What's the current way to disable the web search? Preferably without editing the registry submitted by /u/HeyLittleMonkey [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k8ptap/disable_start_menu_web_search/
  4. how to disable "Type to search" in start menu?

how to disable "Type to search" in start menu?: as the title says is there a way to disable "Type to search" in start menu? [ATTACH] else if that can't be done, is there a way to disable task bar to a specific user?...
  5. How to disable web search in Start Menu?

How to disable web search in Start Menu?: Hello, I have Windows 10 version 1909 and I want to disable stupid web search that open useless Edge browser if I type file name wrongly and then I click enter and browser opens how to disable that? submitted by /u/Qiasm [link] [comments]...
  6. disable web search start menu 1909

disable web search start menu 1909: Does anyone know how to disable the start menu sending everything you type in there to microsoft? I tried the tricks from previous builds ( reg entries forAllowSearchToUseLocation,BingSearchEnabled and CortanaConsent ) but in 1909 it continues to send whatever I search for...
  7. Disable web searches in Start menu

in Cortana
    Disable web searches in Start menu: I need to be able to disable web searches in the Start menu. We have several Windows 10 laptops that we use to administer exams, and obviously we cannot have students able to search the internet during their exams. Having no way to disable this feature makes these laptops...
  8. Start menu overlay

Start menu overlay: I have been having a translucent overlay over my start menu whenever I open it for the first time. I can close it then open it again to make it go away. I am also unable to type to search with the start menu....
  9. How to disable search online in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable search online in the start menu: I would like to disable where windows 10 offers search online recommendations when doing a normal search after clicking on the start menu. I only want the search confined to my computer. Been looking online at loads of different options from reg hacks to going through...
  10. How to disable photo search in the start menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable photo search in the start menu?: Hello, after the recent large windows 10 update, I've noticed now when I search for a program via the "Search Windows" start menu thing in the lower left corner, photos also show up in the results along with the program results even when the name of the photo is not what I...