Windows 10: Trying to drag a shortcut to a batch file onto my start menu

Discus and support Trying to drag a shortcut to a batch file onto my start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I wanted to drag a shortcut to a batch file onto the tiled area of my start menu but I'm just getting a no-go/banned symbol. How do I overcome this?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by THX1138, Aug 5, 2018.

1. THX1138 Win User

Trying to drag a shortcut to a batch file onto my start menu

I wanted to drag a shortcut to a batch file onto the tiled area of my start menu but I'm just getting a no-go/banned symbol. How do I overcome this? Thanks.

Trying to drag a shortcut to a batch file onto my start menu [​IMG]

:)

THX1138, Aug 5, 2018
  2. Flava0ne Win User

Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

I've created a Batch file which calls on the following VB Script to be able to create a shortcut to my desktop:

VB Script (named createLink.vbs):
    Code: set objWSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") set objFso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") ' command line arguments ' TODO: error checking sShortcut = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(0)) sTargetPath = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(1)) sWorkingDirectory = objFso.GetAbsolutePathName(sShortcut) set objSC = objWSHShell.CreateShortcut(sShortcut) objSC.TargetPath = sTargetPath objSC.WorkingDirectory = sWorkingDirectory objSC.Save[/quote] Batch File Example (for Windows Notepad):
    Code: @echo off cscript createLink.vbs "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Notepad.lnk" "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe"[/quote] But after creating the shortcut using this method, I'm not able to assign a custom icon for the shortcut. I get the following error message when trying to do so:

Trying to drag a shortcut to a batch file onto my start menu Error503.jpg

Any help and ideas on what I need to put into the VB Script and/or Batch File to be able to do this would be greatly appreciated! *Big Grin Trying to drag a shortcut to a batch file onto my start menu :D

Also, I know that I can simply do this by going to Start Menu\All Programs\Accessories\ right-clicking on Notepad and selecting Send to\Desktop (create shortcut). Easy enough for creating a single shortcut. But I need to create several multiple shortcuts and using this Batch/VBS method would really save me a lot of time in doing so.

Flava0ne, Aug 5, 2018
  3. Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

Hmm, I just tried it and it worked fine. Maybe try running the batch as administrator? Also, right click on the desktop after the shortcut is created and click Refresh.

If the file in the third parameter doesn't exist, it assumes the icon is in the application.

FordGT90Concept, Aug 5, 2018
  4. Flava0ne Win User

Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

Tried both of the VB Scripts that you provided and adding the 9 switch to the batch file but neither was able to create a shortcut to my desktop.

Flava0ne, Aug 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Trying to drag a shortcut to a batch file onto my start menu - Similar Threads - Trying drag shortcut

2. Adding batch file shortcut to Startup menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding batch file shortcut to Startup menu?: For diagnosing purposes I need to add a batch file to Windows Startup menu and it must be run with the administrator privileges. For that I created a shortcut to it.There is not any problem when I execute it by hand, however Windows Startup ignores that entry.Please...
  3. Adding batch file shortcut to Startup menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding batch file shortcut to Startup menu?: For diagnosing purposes I need to add a batch file to Windows Startup menu and it must be run with the administrator privileges. For that I created a shortcut to it.There is not any problem when I execute it by hand, however Windows Startup ignores that entry.Please...
  4. Adding batch file shortcut to Startup menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Win7 Start Menu: Why are text files dragged there not shortcuts?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 Start Menu: Why are text files dragged there not shortcuts?: I thought that when I dragged a file to the Start Menu it was essentially a shortcut. By Start Menu location I mean:C:\Users\ME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ProgramsThis is the "back side" of the Start Menu.Then I discovered that it was growing in size. Since...
  6. Win7 Start Menu: Why are text files dragged there not shortcuts?

Win7 Start Menu: Why are text files dragged there not shortcuts?: I thought that when I dragged a file to the Start Menu it was essentially a shortcut. By Start Menu location I mean:C:\Users\ME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ProgramsThis is the "back side" of the Start Menu.Then I discovered that it was growing in size. Since...
  7. How to drag file onto preferred monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to drag file onto preferred monitor: I use my latop and in addition two external monitors.Whenever I drag a file from a folder onto the desktop, the file will always be copied onto the monitor in front of me. This happens even though the folder and file and the drop location are on a different monitor. I would...
  8. Shortcut to batch file in start menu with custom icon will only sometimes display that icon...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcut to batch file in start menu with custom icon will only sometimes display that icon...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/roryc102 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f21qu5/shortcut_to_batch_file_in_start_menu_with_custom/
  9. Drag and Drop music files onto MPC

Drag and Drop music files onto MPC: Hi, So I am used to the old feature of Windows XP/Windows 7 etc where you could just drag a music/video file onto the MPC (I use Media Player Classic but this was true for all other players for the most part on those systems) but when I try to drag a file to the player, it...
  10. Can't drag shortcuts from the start menu to the desktop anymore...

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't drag shortcuts from the start menu to the desktop anymore...: Since recently, I can't drag en drop icons from my start menu to my desktop anymore... When I click the icon and drag it to the desktop, I see it on the desktop, with the overlay that a shortcut will be created there, but when I release the mouse button, the round waiting...