Windows 10: Trying to enable BitLocker but unable to locate Trusted Platform Module TPM

Discus and support Trying to enable BitLocker but unable to locate Trusted Platform Module TPM in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi All, I've been dealing with a user's machine Dell Latitude 7480 and I am unable to turn on his BitLocker Encryption. I've done a ton of research... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Steve Chung schung, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Trying to enable BitLocker but unable to locate Trusted Platform Module TPM

Hi All,

I've been dealing with a user's machine Dell Latitude 7480 and I am unable to turn on his BitLocker Encryption. I've done a ton of research and advised him to go to the BIOS Setup on boot up to ensure under Security "TPM 2.0 Security" was turned on but there is no option for this.

Also, he is getting a pop up message displaying the words "BitLocker cannot be enabled". I sent him the following link to follow - https://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/fix-device-cant-use-trusted-platform-module-enabling-bitlocker/

Now when he turns on his BitLocker it is now asking him two different options from the BitLocker Drive Encryption - Choose how to unlock your drive at startup.

1. Insert a USB Flash Drive

2. Enter a password

He said he chose "enter a password" and when he would shutdown/reboot he had to enter a 30 digit password every time. I just need the user to be able to turn on his BitLocker Encryption for his hard drive but this is proving to be difficult.

Another thing is I've asked him to type in "tpm.msc" on his machine to see whether it was possible to clear his TPM. The option is greyed out and no cannot be found.

Any suggestions what I should try next?

:)

Steve Chung schung, Jan 29, 2020
  2. John Sarc Win User

Bitlocker and Trusted Platform Module problems

We appreciate the screenshot you sent.

This issue usually occurs because the Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
    uses the manufacturer driver and not the Windows built-in Trusted Platform Module driver.

To resolve this, you can manually uninstall and reinstall Trusted Platform Module. To do so, see the steps below:

• Open Device Manager on the device on which you are experiencing the issue
    • Uninstall the Trusted Platform Module driver.

Give us an update after following the troubleshooting steps provided.

John Sarc, Jan 29, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Error: This device cannot use a Trusted Platform Module, when enabling Bitlocker

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you receive an error when enabling Bitlocker on your computer.

Ideally, Bitlocker requires a compatible TPM (Trusted Platform Module) on the computer to store the encryption keys. The TPM helps in unlocking the drive when the computer boots so that you can sign in to the computer just using the Windows login password.

However, if you are doing this on your personal computer, we can try to use Bitlocker without a TPM by changing certain Group Policy settings.

Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows Logo key + R, to open
      Run dialog box.
    2. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > BitLocker Drive Encryption > Operating System Drives.
    3. Now, on the right pane, double click on Require additional authentication at startup.
    4. Select Enabled and ensure that the checkbox for
      Allow BitLocker without a compatible TPM (requires a password or a startup key on a USB flash drive)
      is selected.
    5. Click on OK to save the settings.
    6. Restart the computer and try enabling Bitlocker.

If the issue persists, we do have a dedicated forum for issues concerning to Bitlocker and Group Policy, let me point you in the right direction, where you may get further assistance, if the issue persists. I would suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet forums, where we have support
    professionals to address your query.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 29, 2020
  4. sygnus21 Win User

Trying to enable BitLocker but unable to locate Trusted Platform Module TPM

TPM Ready with reduced functionality; unable to use BitLocker

Yeah, I misunderstood you, I was thinking TPM. Anyway I just checked my BIOS and interestingly enough, mine is disabled, and yet no issues with my TPM module or BitLocker here....

Intel Platform Trust Technology off...

Trying to enable BitLocker but unable to locate Trusted Platform Module TPM [​IMG]

Trusted Platform 2.0 Enabled...

Trying to enable BitLocker but unable to locate Trusted Platform Module TPM [​IMG]

Trusted Platform Management showing module is good...

All that said, it probably wouldn't hurt if the OP doubled checked the BIOS and tried enabling PTT to see what happens.

And yes, Secure Boot is Enabled, along with Key Management.

sygnus21, Jan 29, 2020
Thema:

Trying to enable BitLocker but unable to locate Trusted Platform Module TPM

1. Trying to enable BitLocker but unable to locate Trusted Platform Module TPM - Similar Threads - Trying enable BitLocker

2. Trusted Platform Module TPM

in Windows 10 Customization
    Trusted Platform Module TPM: Hello, I have a TPM in my system which is for hardware security i want to know that am i gonna lose all of my data if at all the TPM Chip fails.. pls advice on thisThanks...
  3. Trusted Platform Module

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trusted Platform Module: I am on a Windows 10 PC. I reset my PC and this shows up and I can't press or do anything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trusted-platform-module/b4e4e7de-af20-4978-bb4c-97404187bed1
  4. Trusted Platform Module

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trusted Platform Module: I reset my computer and this showed up, but I can't do anything or press anything? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trusted-platform-module/8f2891ce-04a0-4194-abbc-2d21aa6de826
  5. Initialisation of the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) failed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Initialisation of the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) failed: When I booted the laptop yesterday I was no longer able to login using my windows pin. I had to login using the password, can't get the pin to work again. In event viewer under windows logs>system have continuously: event ID 27 'The initialisation of the Trusted Platform...
  6. Initialisation of the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) failed

in Windows 10 Support
    Initialisation of the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) failed: When I booted the laptop yesterday I was no longer able to login using my windows pin. I had to login using the password, can't get the pin to work again. In event viewer under windows logs>system have continuously: event ID 27 'The initialisation of the Trusted Platform...
  7. trusted platform module (tpm)

trusted platform module (tpm): windows defender is showing error msgunder security processor troubleshooting can't get tpm information please contact your system contact you device manufacturer. please help me on this . I am unable to use tpm functions in tpm.msc module. how to get it back....
  8. Trusted Platform Module

Trusted Platform Module: I have received a message to update or clear and update the TPM. It tells me to ensure I have done a backup. Is this REALLY necessary? To do a COMPLETE PC BACKUP in case this causes data loss? Surely, SURELY, MS can do these things without the potential compromise of...
  9. TPM Trusted Platform Module Issue

TPM Trusted Platform Module Issue: After updating to windows 10 version 1803 this comes up after I log in. A configuration change was requested to clean this computers TPM( trusted platform module). Warning clearing erases information started on the TPM. You will lose all created keys and access data...
  10. Trusted Platform Module (TPM)

in Windows 10 Support
    Trusted Platform Module (TPM): I just installed windows 10-1511 on my pc en it works perfect.Verry happy with it. But soon there will be come the anniversary update of windows 10.My motherboard supports TPM 1.0 but not TPM 2.0. For the anniversary update you need TPM 2.0.Does this mean that my computer...