Windows 10: Trying to exclude Read-Only Mounted VHD\VHDX drives mounted in a directory

Discus and support Trying to exclude Read-Only Mounted VHD\VHDX drives mounted in a directory in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Disks are mounted read-only in C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\0\ I've added exclusions for C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\*\*\*\* Using MPCmdRun.exe -CheckExclusion... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by J. Branco, Feb 2, 2021.

1. J. Branco Win User

Trying to exclude Read-Only Mounted VHD\VHDX drives mounted in a directory

Disks are mounted read-only in

C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\0\

I've added exclusions for

C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\*\*\*\*

Using MPCmdRun.exe -CheckExclusion -path "C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\

Using MPCmdRun.exe -CheckExclusion -path "C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\0

each shows excluded

but the sub-folder root of the mounted VHD returns not excluded with "C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\0\folder\ [Device\HarddiskVolume#\] is not excluded.

I am not concerned about scanning these VHDx's because they are created on a mostly secure capture machine.

My apps that are in these VHD's run incredibly slow since switching to MS Defender with ATP. I don't need these files scanned when the disks are mounted or content is accessed

I can't find a way to tell Defender to not scan these Virtual disks or paths.

Microsoft had a similar problem with FSLogix but somehow fixed with a definition update.

:)

J. Branco, Feb 2, 2021
  2. MarkS.1 Win User

Bitlocker VHD not mounting

When I try to mount my bitlocker-encrypted VHD file, I get the following error message:

Couldn't Mount File, Make sure the file is in NTFS volume and isn't a compressed folder or volume

When I previously and successfully mounted the vhd, I was prompted for the BitLocker password. But now there is no password prompt and I get the latter error.

How do I get this vhd to mount?

MarkS.1, Feb 2, 2021
  3. [SOLVED] Mount a VHD? How?

I used VirtualBox to create a 640MB VHD (virtual hard disk) named 'Palemoon portable (Linux).vhd'. (Note that the VHD is not a VDI.) I need to format it, but first, I need to mount it. But when I attempt to mount it (as Administrator) via Disk Managment's
    'Action' 'Attach VHD' menu choice, 'Attach VHD' is greyed out and cannot be chosen. Note that the VM is not running, and that VBox is not running. Also note that I'm aware that, in Windows, I can format it solely as NTFS -- that's not an issue.

I've not found a system setting that would prevent mounting VHDs.

In elevated Power Shell:

Code:
    PS C:\Users\Administrator> Mount-VHD -Path "c:\VMs\Mint\Palemoon portable (Linux).vhd"

Mount-VHD : The term 'Mount-VHD' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

At line:1 char:1

+ Mount-VHD -Path "c:\VMs\Mint\Palemoon portable (Linux).vhd"

+ ~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Mount-VHD:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\Users\Administrator>
    How can I mount the VHD?

With Regards, Mark.

MarkFilipak.Windows, Feb 2, 2021
  4. Trying to exclude Read-Only Mounted VHD\VHDX drives mounted in a directory

Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

There is no problem with File Backups. It is the System Image Backup .vhdx file which I am trying to view, using it to mount a VHD (Drive MTrying to exclude Read-Only Mounted VHD\VHDX drives mounted in a directory :) which appears empty to File Manager. As you suggested I had a good look at the W7 tutorial for file mounting, and explored some of its links, but to no avail.

I also tried to mount the VHD with Diskpart from elevated command prompt: Diskpart; select vdisk file=filename.vhdx; attach vdisk. There was no need to assign a drive letter as Windows remembered it, which is annoying. M: was again empty.

Then, Windows PowerShell: Mount-VHD -Path "[location of vhd]". This cmdlet failed with error message "Mount-VHD is not recognised as the name of a cmdlet ...". Googling this, I found this could be due to the absence of a Hyper-V module for Windows PowerShell. Now, I know that Hyper-V Virtualization does not come with W10 Home but does with W10 Pro. Could my problem be related? Could it be that the image file is vdhx rather than vdh which I assume was the format in W7? I am out of my depth here, and don't want to experiment without advice.

Out of interest I checked UEFI Bios and found Virtualisation Technology to be disabled, and Hyper-V missing from the Programs and Features list in Control Panel. With some trepidation I tried Enabling Virtualisation. Programs and Features list was unchanged, as was the PowerShell outcome and the zero content of M: after attaching via Disk Management. I returned Virtualisation to Disabled.

Drive M:'s properties show its partition type to be GUID, not MBR.

Grateful for any further thoughts. Thanks.

Old Novice, Feb 2, 2021
Thema:

Trying to exclude Read-Only Mounted VHD\VHDX drives mounted in a directory

1. Trying to exclude Read-Only Mounted VHD\VHDX drives mounted in a directory - Similar Threads - Trying exclude Read

2. Thunderbolt drive only mounts during awake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thunderbolt drive only mounts during awake: Hi all!My Thunderbolt drive LaCie 2Big only mounts when I wake my machine from sleep. When I plug it in while the machine is running, nothing happens. Then I put it to sleep and wake it up again and then it mounts.Also when it is plugged in during boot, it does not mount. I...
  3. Thunderbolt drive only mounts during awake

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thunderbolt drive only mounts during awake: Hi all!My Thunderbolt drive LaCie 2Big only mounts when I wake my machine from sleep. When I plug it in while the machine is running, nothing happens. Then I put it to sleep and wake it up again and then it mounts.Also when it is plugged in during boot, it does not mount. I...
  4. Thunderbolt drive only mounts during awake

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  6. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  7. Mounting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mounting: How do I mount a Windows ISO From the recovery environment https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mounting/9a0df9cd-dc2f-4395-96fd-476a711498c7
  8. Mount Drive only when needed ?

Mount Drive only when needed ?: Is there a way to only have an external drive mounted when needed but leave plugged in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mount-drive-only-when-needed/698203a2-3efa-48cd-9c79-2aef273d9567
  9. Mount home directory on second disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mount home directory on second disk: In Linux I can mount a large disk on /home/"myusername", and thereafter all my huge number of user files are stored on that non-system disk. How can I do the same on Windows 10? I know I can move some - but not all - user folders/files on C:\Users\"myusername" to equivalent...
  10. Issue with Windows auto-mounting drives that shouldn't be mounted

Issue with Windows auto-mounting drives that shouldn't be mounted: [img] You can see from the image above that random drives get drive letters assigned to them for no reason. In addition to that, I can't even remove the drive letters, unless I use diskpart, but then that doesn't stick between reboots. Any ideas? 41103