Windows 10: Trying to figure out the mess of my partitions

Discus and support Trying to figure out the mess of my partitions in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi all, Can you help me understand why my Boot partition is on my SSD but my System partition is on a random 2TB internal drive? I think I want both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ScottZB, Jan 31, 2021.

1. ScottZB Win User

Trying to figure out the mess of my partitions

Hi all,

Can you help me understand why my Boot partition is on my SSD but my System partition is on a random 2TB internal drive? I think I want both on my SSD. And now that I'm trying to upgrade my non-SSD internal drives, this is becoming an issue. Can I fix this without reinstalling Windows altogether?

Here's Disk Management:

Trying to figure out the mess of my partitions fabf6646-8f62-4ee9-9d35-e45912b1b60e?upload=true.png

And in case it's helpful I saw it mentioned on another thread about partitions, here's the output of `reagentc /info`:

Trying to figure out the mess of my partitions 246ec012-9888-454f-b219-b40e73d2f5e9?upload=true.png

:)

ScottZB, Jan 31, 2021
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jan 31, 2021
  3. trog100 Win User
    Move EFI partition

its to enable win 10 to update to its anniversary edition.. it cant do this due to lack of C drive space i have had a quick try with the trial version of easus.. it didnt seem to be able to do what i want..

i am assuming i cant just delete the efi partition but maybe i could.. as yet i havnt even figured out how to get into the bios of the thing.. maybe that should be my next step.. *Smile Trying to figure out the mess of my partitions :)

diskpart could probably do it but figuring out how (it aint that user friendly) might be difficult without step by step instructions..

trog

trog100, Jan 31, 2021
  4. SIW2 Win User

Partition mess

One way to do this:

Shrink C partition from the left by about 500 mb.

Creat msr partition on the left of the unallocated space of , say 128mb.

Then create efi system partition (esp) of, say 300mb.

Give the esp a drive letter e.g. Z

Then open an elevated command prompt and type

bcdboot C:\windows /s Z: /f UEFI

Suggest you use a 3rd party partition manager - such as Aomei Pro, or the free version of diskgenius.

Trying to figure out the mess of my partitions [​IMG]

Thema:

1. Trying to figure out the mess of my partitions - Similar Threads - Trying figure mess

2. I am trying to figure out why this MSR partition is showing up as damaged.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I am trying to figure out why this MSR partition is showing up as damaged.: I have just gone through a whole nightmare with my HDD and SSD ie. blue screen, resetting, and cloning system to different drive. Now everything is working pretty well except for i have what looks like a damaged volume in diskgenius under drive 1 HDD which contains my os c:...
  3. I am trying to figure out why this MSR partition is showing up as damaged.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am trying to figure out why this MSR partition is showing up as damaged.: I have just gone through a whole nightmare with my HDD and SSD ie. blue screen, resetting, and cloning system to different drive. Now everything is working pretty well except for i have what looks like a damaged volume in diskgenius under drive 1 HDD which contains my os c:...
  4. I am trying to figure out why this MSR partition is showing up as damaged.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Trying to figure out why my Windows update stopped

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to figure out why my Windows update stopped: Run the Windows update and stuck at the middle of the process. It took 2 hours for 60 percent then stuck from there after restarting the computer by force I saw an error code 0x8024A002...
  6. Trying to figure out why my Windows update stopped

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to figure out why my Windows update stopped: Run the Windows update and stuck at the middle of the process. It took 2 hours for 60 percent then stuck from there after restarting the computer by force I saw an error code 0x8024A002...
  7. Trying to figure out how badly I messed up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to figure out how badly I messed up: [ATTACH] Hard to TL;DR this. I recently swapped the HDD on my other laptop with an SSD, and now I'm using that HDD as a backup hard drive. I plugged it into my main laptop (in an external enclosure), and was planning to delete all the folders and files that weren't...
  8. BSOD help, Trying to figure out the cause.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD help, Trying to figure out the cause.: Recently my computer upon booting up and just browsing youtube and streaming services online would BSOD within the first 5mins of the boot up. It has happened twice after having no effects previously other than GPU driver crashes which I'm pretty sure i fixed by changing...
  9. Partition mess

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partition mess: I have an Acer A715-71G laptop that came with a 1TB HDD and a linux installation. I have this laptop for two years. On the same day I installed a Samsung 256GB 960 EVO Nvme drive and installed win 10. I might have messed though with the partitions. On subsequent upgrades of...
  10. Partition Mess

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition Mess: Hello all, So the other night I decided to do a clone of my laptop's hd as a back up using Macrium Reflect. However, it indicated that it couldn't do an MBR clone because it's limited to 3 partitions and my Source drive had 9! Stunned I rebooted out of Kyhi's recovery usb...