Windows 10: Trying to find folder deleted during Free File Sync backup

Discus and support Trying to find folder deleted during Free File Sync backup in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Occasionally I do a sync between a portable drive and my work PC (Windows 10) using Free File Sync. The latest sync, February 20, I think I tweaked the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by zamboknee, Feb 26, 2018.

1. zamboknee Win User

Trying to find folder deleted during Free File Sync backup

Occasionally I do a sync between a portable drive and my work PC (Windows 10) using Free File Sync. The latest sync, February 20, I think I tweaked the settings I normally do and it deleted a couple files.
    I was able to find most of them in a folder that was created by FFS but can't seem to locate this folder.
    Can anyone help me find where this folder is located? Where does FFS typically create it?

opened the 'last sync log' and found what I was looking for...

Quote:
    [9:14:50 AM] Info: Moving folder "\\s006file02\myname$\My Documents\MooseOnAirCrap\Stager-PerrySmith" to the recycle bin

Where 'Stager-PerrySmith' is the folder I'm trying to retrieve.

I remember seeing the recycle bin specific to FFS but can't remember where it was created to. Can anyone help me here?

:)

zamboknee, Feb 26, 2018

2. Couldn't Update System Reserved Partition Upgrading from Win 8.1

I'm working on it but running up against EFI System security which locks down any attempts to modify system files. I've tried using Command Prompt from Windows and its disk. Next I'll try a rescue disk to see if it gets free access to any file on the drive
    to delete it, as it does in MBR format. I guess UEFI
    is more secure, huh?

One thing you can try from your end is to run the In Sync backup program to see if it can locate the backup on EFI System partition (with or without drive letter) to delete it. If it had the ability to write there then something was awry, but maybe it can
    still find and access it to delete it.

I'll get back to you when I find the solution, or maybe someone else will first. We need to delete the In Sync backup folder which wrongly wrote to EFI System partition.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Feb 26, 2018
  3. Insider program

If you do the Clean Install then you'll need to backup your files first to get it cleanest by deleting all partitions during install.

To save your files requires not deleting or formatting the C partition during install, just select C and then click Next without formatting or deleting. This should archive your files in a C/:windows.old folder to find after install.

If you do the Reset it will give you an option to save your files.

Your files should always be backed up because the hard drive can die at any time. Some suggestions to help ease into this habit:

You can drag 5gb for free into OneDrive app to store in the cloud where they are safe from fire and theft.

If you install Google Drive, you can use their new Backup to choose User folders (Documents, Pictures, etc.) to sync up to 15g for free to their cloud.

Or you can drag or copy them to another hard drive, USB external or flash drive.

Here's how to drag, copy or move large groups of files:
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/2086566/the-man...

A better file backup to external disk is free Macrium which is the choice of the experts:

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/B...

Besides your files you should back up a System Image to use in place of reinstall in 20 minutes. The best free alternative is Macrium:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-ref...

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Feb 26, 2018
Thema:

Trying to find folder deleted during Free File Sync backup

1. Trying to find folder deleted during Free File Sync backup - Similar Threads - Trying find folder

2. Finding deleted files - Documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Finding deleted files - Documents folder: Hi.So I was making space on my harddrive yesterday. In doing so I found there was 30gb of stuff on my harddrive that I think was linked to an old work OneDrive account that I couldn't delete, even when I de selected 'read only'. So in trying to clean up the drive, I appear to...
  3. Finding deleted files - Documents folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Finding deleted files - Documents folder: Hi.So I was making space on my harddrive yesterday. In doing so I found there was 30gb of stuff on my harddrive that I think was linked to an old work OneDrive account that I couldn't delete, even when I de selected 'read only'. So in trying to clean up the drive, I appear to...
  4. OneDrive File Syncing and Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive File Syncing and Backup: Just set up a new Windows 11 laptop for a senior in a nearby retirement community. Copied all his data to the new machine. Signed into Onedrive and went to "choose folders" in settings. Desktop, Documents and Pictures were available to "check", but music was not. He has lots...
  5. Free Files / Folders Backup program/s

in Windows 10 Support
    Free Files / Folders Backup program/s: Hello, Macrium free edition is not making files / folders backup. Any recommendations for some free program/s to make such backup will be appreciated. Thanks Windows 10, Winver 19042.1165 (20H2) x64 183983
  6. Backup sync folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup sync folders: Why is it that Google and other backup companies like IDrive give you the ability to select ANY folder for sync, but Microsoft OneDrive, on it's OWN operating system, doesn't have this same ability? OneDrive only allows syncing from 3 folders. Desktop, Documents and...
  7. Deleted a folder containing thousands of files; canceled during delete

Deleted a folder containing thousands of files; canceled during delete: I deleted a folder containing over 15,000 small wave files. I canceled while my computer was moving the files to the Recycle Bin. All of the contents in the folder have disappeared. Where did these files go?...
  8. Computer trying to find folder that was deleted

Computer trying to find folder that was deleted: Upon login on my computer cmd and a error message pops up. It says "Windos can not find "the file location". Make sure you typed the name correctly, and try again." This file is deleted and cant find anything else that has to do with what it was on my computer. How do I get...
  9. OneDrive deleted harddrive files during sync/backup

OneDrive deleted harddrive files during sync/backup: Hi, I wanted to backup my personal laptop files and decided to use my work 365 OneDrive account as had 1TB space availble. So I connected to this account and said backup bit it gave me no choice to select folders and onedrive locations and started uploading and combining...
  10. Free file backup software

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Free file backup software: Hi, Can anyone suggest a good free third party software for file backup.....? I googled it, but it seems that some free tools do not work well with W10. I have Macrium and use it for Imaging/Cloning, but the free version does not offer file backup. I would like to...