Windows 10: Trying to fix a big Windows Update issue, but DISM won't progress past Image Version stage

Discus and support Trying to fix a big Windows Update issue, but DISM won't progress past Image Version stage in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So my computer is missing the Windows Update tab in the Services page. Windows Update is unable to check for updates (threw an error message) and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/thirumbux2, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Trying to fix a big Windows Update issue, but DISM won't progress past Image Version stage

So my computer is missing the Windows Update tab in the Services page. Windows Update is unable to check for updates (threw an error message) and the troubleshoot isn't working either. For some background, a couple months back we detected malware on my computer and successfully deleted it (using HitManPro + Kaspersky) and I haven't faced any problems since then. But Windows Update isn't working right. Sites online are saying it's because of corrupted files so I'm trying to fix that.

The problem is DISM won't move past the Image Version stage. It's just stuck. I've no idea how to progress. Should I try and reset my OS completely? Please understand I'm a tech noob. I have no tech experience at all and I cannot go to a computer store because my city is in a 100% lockdown due to the coronavirus.

Please help. Lol thanks in advance

submitted by /u/thirumbux2
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/thirumbux2, Jul 15, 2020

2. [HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Jul 15, 2020
  3. Windows 10 fails to update

Thanks,

The Users list compared to the Profile list you posted earlier tell me there is not an issue with Users (a known issue where there is a profile in the list, but not actual User folder).

The error code suggests corruption in the CBS manifest:
    Try these steps one at time until the issue is resolved or you run out of steps.

Is Windows activated?
    No? Activate Windows 10

Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    enter the following line
    reg query HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /s
    If DisableWindowsUpdateAccess REG_DWORD 0x1

launch regedit
    navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    change the value of DisableWindowsUpdateAccess to 0
    exit regedit
    exit Command Prompt

Launch Windows Update

Try the next suggestion if the issue is not resolved.

Restore health to the component store
    DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image
    Step 6. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:wim Command
    - OR -
    Step 7. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:esd Command
    Check System Files
    SFC Command - Run in Windows 10
    Read the front material, then
    follow >> OPTION THREE <<
    To Run SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 10

If there are integrity issues reported on screen,
    Follow the instructions in >> OPTION FIVE <<
    To View Only the "SFC" Scan Results from the CBS.LOG

If there are no integrity errors, Launch Windows Update

Paste the following line into the address bar of File Explorer
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\TroubleshootingLaunch System and Security > Fix problems with Windows Update
    Press Advanced
    Select Run as administrator
    Press Next

Launch Windows Update

Automatically reset Windows Update components
    Download and run MS Windows Update diagnostic cab (direct download)

Launch Windows Update

Manually reset Windows Updates via batch file

Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10

Launch Windows Update

Slartybart, Jul 15, 2020
  4. TheHunter Win User

Trying to fix a big Windows Update issue, but DISM won't progress past Image Version stage

Windows 8 Clubhouse

My DISM image got corrupted somehow after these updates, although sfc /scannow doesnt find anything, so its ok..

Spoiler Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031

[==========================100.0%==========================]
    The restore operation failed. Either the repair source was not found or the comp
    onent store cannot be repaired.

Error: 0x800f081f

DISM failed. No operation was performed.
    For more information, review the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log
    Windows update works properly too, quick googling showed its windows update specific.

Guess I'll ignore until windows actually updates to update1, maybe it will fix itself then since it apparently fetches online DISM image info?

TheHunter, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

Trying to fix a big Windows Update issue, but DISM won't progress past Image Version stage

1. Trying to fix a big Windows Update issue, but DISM won't progress past Image Version stage - Similar Threads - Trying fix big

2. Issue with Copying and Pasting Images on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with Copying and Pasting Images on Windows: Hello,I am experiencing an issue with my Windows computer when copying and pasting images from the web. When I copy an image in JPG format from the web and try to paste it into a messaging application, the image is automatically converted to a PNG file with a large file size....
  3. Issue with Copying and Pasting Images on Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with Copying and Pasting Images on Windows: Hello,I am experiencing an issue with my Windows computer when copying and pasting images from the web. When I copy an image in JPG format from the web and try to paste it into a messaging application, the image is automatically converted to a PNG file with a large file size....
  4. Copy & Paste Query progress bar % issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy & Paste Query progress bar % issue: Hello Community,Many thanks for taking the time to read my query and sorry for having to ask such a question.SetupI am running a few laptops Dell Inspiron 15 3581 and a Lenovo Ideapad 330S both running Windows 10 with all latest updates. I also have an external HDD which is...
  5. Copy & Paste Query progress bar % issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy & Paste Query progress bar % issue: Hello Community,Many thanks for taking the time to read my query and sorry for having to ask such a question.SetupI am running a few laptops Dell Inspiron 15 3581 and a Lenovo Ideapad 330S both running Windows 10 with all latest updates. I also have an external HDD which is...
  6. Copy & Paste Query progress bar % issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Big installation issue, trying to fix it from 2 days

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Big installation issue, trying to fix it from 2 days: I am not able to go past the windows logo on any windows images. 1) My battery died while starting windows, then it was stuck in repairing and then it would go to memu where there was all the options command prompt, advanced etc. 2) The regular diagnosis didnt work it would...
  8. Windows 10 Update stuck at various stages of progress

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update stuck at various stages of progress: I own a 2014 HP Pavilion 15 model which I did not use for the past two years due to a mother board issue. I recently fixed the board and have been trying to update the software windows 10. The present version is in windows 8. Trying to download update software from...
  9. PC Won't Update Windows 10 Past Version 1511

PC Won't Update Windows 10 Past Version 1511: Hello, I have a pc that hasn't been updated in a while. I ran updates and am at version 1511. Now when I go through Control Panel, Update & Security to check updates, the computer states it is up to date. If I use the Update Assistant, it states the current version is...
  10. windows update pending issue - its stops on this and no progress in downloading in the past...

windows update pending issue - its stops on this and no progress in downloading in the past...: windows update pending issue - its stops on this and no progress in downloading in the past 4 hours [ATTACH]is https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-pending-issue-its-stops-on-this-and/088a8602-1dd7-471b-ba3b-c0ef0cef5c2b