Windows 10: Trying to fix DNS error on youtube on a Surface Pro, but cannot follow steps to reset DNS...

Discus and support Trying to fix DNS error on youtube on a Surface Pro, but cannot follow steps to reset DNS... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to fix an issue with my daughter's Surface PRO Win10 v1909. It is only occurring on Youtube at this point, but she does use it for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Team Z, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Team Z Win User

Trying to fix DNS error on youtube on a Surface Pro, but cannot follow steps to reset DNS...

Hello, I am trying to fix an issue with my daughter's Surface PRO Win10 v1909. It is only occurring on Youtube at this point, but she does use it for online learning. The error is “DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN”. I have checked the hosts file, it's not that.

The bigger issue is the device seems to have no actual administrator permissions. One of the steps is to restart the DNS service in services.msc, but all control options are not available and ANY service. I have verified her account is set as Admin, and have enabled local Administrator on the device, but no luck. Also, if I try to run net stop dnscache from an elevated cmd prompt, it tells me "the requested pause, continue, or stop is not valid for this service". What do I need to change to make the device actually have basic administrator functionality so I can fix the DNS issue? I am logged in under local admin.

:)

Team Z, Oct 12, 2020

2. dns probe finished no internet

Hi Oxide,

After some trial-and-error testing of all suggested fixes, which I found over the internet, here’re what worked for me to solve "DNS Probe Finished No Internet" issue and might work for you as well.

Method 1: Change Default DNS Address to Open DNS

Here all you have to do is change your default automatically obtained DNS server addresses to open DNS or Google DNS. To do this, follow below mentioned steps:

Step 1:
    Right click on Network icon located in Windows Task Bar Menu.

Step 2:
    Click on ‘Open Network and Sharing Center.’

Trying to fix DNS error on youtube  on a Surface Pro, but cannot follow steps to reset DNS... [​IMG]

Step 3:
    Click on Local Area Connection with whom who are presently connected and click onProperties.

Step 4:
    Select ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)’ and click on Properties.

Step 5:
    Now in newly opened windows, select the radio button that reads ‘Use the following DNS server address:’

Step 6:
    Now in the ‘Preferred DNS Server’ box type in 208.67.222.222 and in ‘Alternate DNS Server’ type in 208.67.220.220.

Step 7:
    Now check the box that says ‘Validate settings upon exit’ and then click on OK. That’s it.

Trying to fix DNS error on youtube  on a Surface Pro, but cannot follow steps to reset DNS... [​IMG]

TechieNikhil, Oct 12, 2020
  3. DNS Servers

So far, it seems like I got it fixed. I disabled Advanced DNS Service and DNS Relay. I put in the two DNS server IPs I listed above into the internet configuration and rebooted it.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 12, 2020
  4. Trying to fix DNS error on youtube on a Surface Pro, but cannot follow steps to reset DNS...

DNS errors

First you should run Internet Connections Troubleshooter and then execute Microsoft recommended troubleshooting steps. Update me once done.

A. Run Internet Connections Troubleshooter

Windows Key+I > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Click Internet Connections > Run the Troubleshooter

B. Head to following Microsoft Help Link and execute the steps there

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/...

Following is the content of the Help which you should try (Many of them you may have already tried, so you can skip them)

Things to try first

Run the Network troubleshooter followed by networking commands

Update the network adapter driver

Roll back the network adapter driver

Temporarily turn off firewalls

Temporarily turn off any antivirus or malware-prevention software

Uninstall the network adapter driver and restart

Use network reset to reinstall network devices

C. IP and DNS Setting

Type ncpa.cpl in Windows start > Right click on your network > Properties > Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) > Hit properties > Make sure below ones are checked

Obtain an IP Address Automatically

Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically

You can also try Google DNS

Select Use the following DNS Server Addresses

Preferred DNS Server - 8.8.8.8

ALternate DNS Server - 8.8.4.4

Try Open DNS

Preferred DNS server : 208.67.222.222

Alternate DNS server : 208.67.220.220

E for Excel, Oct 12, 2020
Thema:

Trying to fix DNS error on youtube on a Surface Pro, but cannot follow steps to reset DNS...

1. Trying to fix DNS error on youtube on a Surface Pro, but cannot follow steps to reset DNS... - Similar Threads - Trying fix DNS

2. DNS server error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS server error: Hi all,One of my friends are having an issue connecting to a network, where the network seems to be connected but whenever they attempt browse they receive an error regarding the DNS server. They had also ran a Windows Network Diagnostics test which had reported "The DNS...
  3. DNS ERROR

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS ERROR: I continually experience connection errors for one website. I can access any other site but continually get connection error and troubleshooter tells me its a DNS Error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-error/4b583bdd-9f4a-40ab-b76b-ca5ed3d458fa
  4. Trying to fix DNS error on youtube Surface Pro, but cannot follow steps to reset DNS...

Trying to fix DNS error on youtube Surface Pro, but cannot follow steps to reset DNS...: Hello, I am trying to fix an issue with my daughter's Surface PRO Win10 v1909. It is only occurring on Youtube at this point, but she does use it for online learning. The error is “DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN”. I have checked the hosts file, it's not that. The bigger...
  5. Temporary DNS error

Temporary DNS error: I have been getting the Temporary DNS error/code INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT-FOUND when trying to login to my Yahoo account for the last couple weeks. I use Microsoft Edge. It only happens on that site. I have tried logging in through Chrome and Internet Explorer with the same...
  6. constant dns error

constant dns error: I have a brand new HP computer, it is windows 10 with EDGE.. I am having issues with getting connected to some websites, it says page needs to refresh or is giving me a DNS error code, I am currently overseas, and oddly have not had issues connecting to my bank or other...
  7. dns error code

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dns error code: I get the following message attempting to log into some sites : DNS ERROR CODE - INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT FOUND. Please help - how do I sort ? regards Michael https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-error-code/88a68baa-e4bf-40ae-85a7-127f87651581
  8. DNS error

DNS error: I continue to get DNS when I try to load a website, why is that , it has only happened since an update occurred yesterday. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-error/b5732a6a-7829-49ca-84b0-9e7f4d97e88b
  9. DNS error

DNS error: I continue to get DNS when I try to load a website, why is that , it has only happened since an update occurred yesterday. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/dns-error/e8048ed5-a7fc-408e-8ec9-b7b7641066cd
  10. Prefered DNS Resetting

Prefered DNS Resetting: Ok so recently bought I wireless card for my pc and I re-setup my static IP which I need for port forwarding, This worked fine for a while until I started getting DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN errors on my browser, So I check my DNS and my Prefered and alternate DNS Boxes are...