Windows 10: Trying to fix Windows 10 Boot Files; Previous methods have failed and I don't know what to do

Discus and support Trying to fix Windows 10 Boot Files; Previous methods have failed and I don't know what to do in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Computer: ASUS K55A Processor: Intel Core i5 3rd Generation Forgot the model number RAM: 4 GB Storage: 465 GB OS: Windows 10 Upgraded from Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SuperKidoftheStars, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Trying to fix Windows 10 Boot Files; Previous methods have failed and I don't know what to do

Computer: ASUS K55A

Processor: Intel Core i5 3rd Generation Forgot the model number

RAM: 4 GB

Storage: 465 GB

OS: Windows 10 Upgraded from Windows 8.1 using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

Hey Microsoft Community,

Yesterday, I logged into my computer using my Windows Hello PIN, however, the computer was taking a long time to pull up the desktop. In fact, it never pulled up the desktop, so I decided to force shut down the computer and try again.

Several attempts later, the computer is now going into Automatic Repair well, it never said so explicitly; it showed the ASUS logo and "Please wait"

Once the recovery options came up, I first tried to use Startup Repair to repair Windows. Every single time that I tried it, it would always be unsuccessful, reporting that "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC."

By this point, if I started the computer again, it would give me a blue screen. I can't re. ember what it said exactly, but it said something related tonot having enough information start Windows, and this error code:0xc0000098.

With that, after some looking around online, I decided to use a Windows Media Creation USB to attempt to repair Windows. I first attempted to reinstall Windows, keeping the files on my computer, but the program wouldn't let me, basically saying that I needed to upgrade Windows once the computer had started.

I went back to the Computer Repair options again, and tried Startup Repair again, grtting the same error Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC, so, I went to the Command Prompt. I checked the hard drive using the chkdsk command, and got no issues with the drive. Once I was done with that, I tried running some bootrec commands. 2 of them gave me problems.

bootrec /fixboot always returned "Access is denied." I do not know why I get this error, so after looking online, I went to diskpart. Whenever I would list the partitions on the computer, however, I never saw a pattition labeled EFI or anything similar. Here are the partitions and drives listed when I run list vol:

Note: I set the Drive letter of volume 3 to B earlier in an attempt to set the EFI partition. I was trying to set the partition labeled "SYSTEM" to B to set it as the Boot partition. Obviously, it didn't work.

Volume # Ltr Label Fs Type

Volume 0 E DVD-ROM

Volume 1 Recovery NTFS Partition

Volume 2 C OS NTFS Partition

Volume 3 B NTFS Partition

Volume 4 Restore NTFS Partition

Volume 5 SYSTEM FAT32 Partition

Volume 6 D WINDOWS 10 FAT32 Partition

The Volumes have varying sizes, and they're all healthy, with the exception of the DVD-ROM, which says "No Media". The SYSTEM Volume says that it is "Hidden."

bootrec /rebuildbcd would return where Windows was installed C:\Windows, however, whenever I would tell it to add it to the boot list, it would always tell me, "The system cannot find the path specified." It may be that Windows is not installed there, and if it's not, I don't know where else it could be.

I don't know what else to do. I am well aware that this whole mess was sort of my fault, but I don't know how to fix the errors that I'm getting.

TL;DR: Windows 10 is failing to boot, and I'm getting the error code 0xc0000098. Startup Repair is failing, and bootrec /rebuildbcd and bootrec /fixboot aren't working properly.

Thank you very much in advance!

:)

SuperKidoftheStars, Dec 23, 2019

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Dec 23, 2019
  3. Jborg Win User
    windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization, Tips and Tricks for your Windows PC

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Dec 23, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

Trying to fix Windows 10 Boot Files; Previous methods have failed and I don't know what to do

Windows 10 Preparing Automatic Repair, Fails, boots on second try.

Good to know that! Try Startup repair with a Win 10 disk, then if that doesn't work, the MBR repair.

A Macrium Reflect boot disk also offers a repair sequence - you can try that.
    v5: How to fix Windows boot problems (Restore, Windows PE)

If that fails there's at least one more possible step.

dalchina, Dec 23, 2019
Thema:

Trying to fix Windows 10 Boot Files; Previous methods have failed and I don't know what to do

1. Trying to fix Windows 10 Boot Files; Previous methods have failed and I don't know what to do - Similar Threads - Trying fix Boot

2. trying to delete an excel file but it says that I don't have permission, what do I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    trying to delete an excel file but it says that I don't have permission, what do I do?: Trying to delete an excel file on my home laptop but systems says that I don't have permission*** Moved from Excel by Mod *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-to-delete-an-excel-file-but-it-says-that-i/21b1fbe1-d4bb-44e6-866d-2e7b3ebd3b86
  3. I don't know what to do anymore

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I don't know what to do anymore: Hi, yesterday everything was slightly okay until I turned on my laptop to see that I need to activate my Windows 10??? The laptop came with Windows 10 but not with the Windows 10 disc so I have no ways of reactivating the key. Please OH PLEASE HELP ME.This command doesn't...
  4. I don't know what to do

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I don't know what to do: I messed around with the registry once I upgraded from win 7 pro to win 10 pro following the instructions of some youtube video WITHOUT BACKING UP. Basically it was just setting some values to 0 so that microsoft doesn't track my activity and overall make my computer faster....
  5. I don't know what to do at this point

in Windows 10 Customization
    I don't know what to do at this point: [ATTACH] I can't deal with this anymore. I don't know what I could use to solve this problem. The gamebar, search, the movies and tv app, all have this problem. If you don't know, I have this problem where the processes freak out. As you can see, it says weather, yet it's on...
  6. How do I fix “device descriptor request failed” on windows 10 tried a couple of methods but...

How do I fix “device descriptor request failed” on windows 10 tried a couple of methods but...: Plz help submitted by /u/Johanp1217 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hxeiym/how_do_i_fix_device_descriptor_request_failed_on/
  7. Windows tries to boot into a windows I don't have

Windows tries to boot into a windows I don't have: My pc ran into an error when booting up and did the disk repair. After that I started getting the thing shown here. It shows the steps I have to go through to get to my windows. This happens every time I turn on my PC!! Any help? submitted by /u/Apinity [link] [comments]...
  8. Something's doing something and I don't know what's causing it and I don't know what to do

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Something's doing something and I don't know what's causing it and I don't know what to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP9auO41B2g&feature=youtu.be Hey here's a video that shows what's going on. I tried updating what could be updated, I tried replugging both my mouse and keyboard, even tried switching to a different mouse, but the problem still comes back. I...
  9. I don't know what to do anymore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I don't know what to do anymore: Basically I hate windows 10 and wanted to go back to windows 7, sadly windows doesn't want to cooperate with me. I want a clean install so all my files and settings would get removed and/or reset which is totally fine. Sadly windows 10 does not like me, I've been stuck at...
  10. Sometimes I don't know what to do

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sometimes I don't know what to do: One of my colleagues can't open .pst file. She is using MS Outlook 2013. Only yesterday hers .pst file was fine. 92750