Windows 10: trying to follow instructions to fix 'can't update system partition error' stuck on failed step

Discus and support trying to follow instructions to fix 'can't update system partition error' stuck on failed step in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am attempting to update windows 10 and am getting the 'can't update system partition error' I have determined i have MBR style so I was following... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by [FeralCanadian], Sep 1, 2020.

1. trying to follow instructions to fix 'can't update system partition error' stuck on failed step

I am attempting to update windows 10 and am getting the 'can't update system partition error'

I have determined i have MBR style so I was following the instructions for that from this post and am stuck on step 10 which is highlighted in blue below. It says, make sure none has failed, but doesn't saywhat to do if that failure happens. One of my files failed system volume information saying access is denied. So basically, I have half executed these steps and now don't know what to do to get past that error/step or how to 'undo' this. picture of command prompt error, disk info below, and instructions I am following after.

trying to follow instructions to fix 'can't update system partition error' stuck on failed step f0e0f4b1-6bca-4026-9da3-8815f7492f92?upload=true.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

trying to follow instructions to fix 'can't update system partition error' stuck on failed step 68dd2e7e-e514-437c-9320-859dd9ea84bb?upload=true.jpg

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3086249/we-couldn-t-update-system-reserved-partition-error-installing-windows

pasting the section here:

Windows 10 with MBR partition

1. Press the Windows key + R. In the Run window that comes up, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.
    2. Select the partition marked System Reserve. Press-and-hold or right-click on it.
    3. Select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    4. Choose Add.
    5. Enter Y for the drive letter.
    6. Tap or click OK.
    7. From the Start menu, search for cmd. Right-click Command Prompt from the search results, and select Run as administrator.
    8. In the command prompt, type Y: and hit enter to switch to that drive. Then, navigate to the Fonts folder by typing cd Boot\Fonts.
    9. Type the following and press Enter:
      takeown /d y /r /f .

Note: You must include the space and the period after the “f”, or the command will not work properly.

10. Back up the permission to the drive by typing the following and press Enter:
      icacls Y:\* /save %systemdrive%\NTFSp.txt /c /t

Note: Make sure that all files are showed as successful and none as failed.

11. Type whoami and press Enter, and then record the user name. Type the following command and press Enter:
      icacls . /grant <username you got from whoami>:F /t

Note: Do not put a space between the username and ":F", or the command won't work.

12. Make sure you are still located in Fonts location Y:\Boot\Fonts as described in step 8. Then, Type del *.* to delete font files. The system may ask you if you are sure to continue, press Y and then enter to continue.

Restore permissions

1. Type the following command and press Enter:
      icacls Y:\ /restore %systemdrive%\NTFSp.txt /c /t

2. A message may display indicating some files failed while processing – this is normal as these files have been deleted subsequent to backing them up.
    3. If the amount of successful files is none, then the command was executed incorrectly; you must have some files successfully processed before continuing.
    4. Adjust the ACL back to System by typing the following and press Enter:
      icacls . /grant system:f /t

5. Set the owner of the drive back to System by typing the following command and pressing Enter:
      icacls Y: /setowner “SYSTEM” /t /c

6. Go back to Disk Management and Refresh the data to confirm if the SRP now has a greater percentage of free space. If so, the drive letter can be removed at this point.
    7. Right-click the System Reserved Partition.
    8. Select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    9. Choose the Y: drive.
    10. Select Remove.
    11. Click OK.

:)

[FeralCanadian], Sep 1, 2020
  2. jimlau Win User

Reserved Partition Error - Fix Doesn't Work

When I registered my Windows 10 and went for updates, I got the stated error message (couldn't update the system reserve partition). On Microsoft's site, they list the steps you need to take to rectify the error. I was simply trying to follow the instructions.

Apparently, I have insufficient space on the System Reserved partition.

jimlau, Sep 1, 2020
  3. Bailey57 Win User
    We couldn’t update system reserved partition” error installing Windows 10 - good until step 10

I'm no expert, yet can still generally walk through things like this, but I'm stuck.

Getting error code 0x800f0922 for weeks. It's driving me nuts; auto attempts to update run 24/7 and slows everything down.

Found instructions here to create space in SRP in hopes of a successful Win 10 update (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...m-reserved-partition-error-installing-windows).

Found SRP location as MBR, and started steps to fix under Windows 10 with MBR
    Partition. Got to step 10, which is:

Back up the permission to the drive by typing the following and press Enter:

icacls Y:\* /save %systemdrive%\NTFSp.txt /c /t

Note: Make sure that all files are showed as successful and none as failed.

Results -

*: Access is denied

Successfully processed 640 files; Failed processing one files

Per instructions, there can't be any failed files, but they provide no direction if there are. What can I do to remedy?

Thanks!

Bailey57, Sep 1, 2020
  4. trying to follow instructions to fix 'can't update system partition error' stuck on failed step

Anthony Gal, Sep 1, 2020
Thema:

trying to follow instructions to fix 'can't update system partition error' stuck on failed step

1. trying to follow instructions to fix 'can't update system partition error' stuck on failed step - Similar Threads - trying follow instructions

2. Following the instructions on resizing the WinRE partition to fix the windows update...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Following the instructions on resizing the WinRE partition to fix the windows update...: I've come across issue following the instructions on resizing the WinRE partition to fix the KB5034441 update...
  3. Issue following the instructions on resizing the WinRE partition to fix the windows update...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue following the instructions on resizing the WinRE partition to fix the windows update...: I've come across issue following the instructions on resizing the WinRE partitionhttps://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/topic/kb5028997-instructions-to-manually-resize-your-partition-to-install-the-winre-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bfI followed everything to the...
  4. Issue following the instructions on resizing the WinRE partition to fix the windows update...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue following the instructions on resizing the WinRE partition to fix the windows update...: I've come across issue following the instructions on resizing the WinRE partitionhttps://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/topic/kb5028997-instructions-to-manually-resize-your-partition-to-install-the-winre-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bfI followed everything to the...
  5. Issue following the instructions on resizing the WinRE partition to fix the windows update...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. FIX for Windows 10: BSOD error 0xc000021a Follow this steps!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    FIX for Windows 10: BSOD error 0xc000021a Follow this steps!!!: This is not a question but a solution that Microsoft hasn't been able to post for this BSOD error, so if you're looking for how to fix it please follow the below steps, and thank me later.This issue happened on a Dell Laptop with Windows 10 latest update 20H2, the user left...
  7. FIX for Windows 10: BSOD error 0xc000021a Follow this steps!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    FIX for Windows 10: BSOD error 0xc000021a Follow this steps!!!: This is not a question but a solution that Microsoft hasn't been able to post for this BSOD error, so if you're looking for how to fix it please follow the below steps, and thank me later.This issue happened on a Dell Laptop with Windows 10 latest update 20H2, the user left...
  8. FIX for Windows 10: BSOD error 0xc000021a Follow this steps!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. NO SCREEN TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!!!!!!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NO SCREEN TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!!!!!!: I had purchased an Espon 2700 All In One printer. There's a WiFi Direct option. When I try to connect said printer to my computer through the WiFi Direct, Windows 10 tells me to follow the instructions on the printer. ONE MAJOR STUPID PROBLEM!!!!!!! There's NO SCREEN on my...
  10. Are there step by step instructions to completely Delete cortana?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Are there step by step instructions to completely Delete cortana?: How can I delete Cortana? I don't need the stupid thing, it eats up memory. I've already disabled it but its still eating up memory so I want it gone....