Windows 10: Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file

Discus and support Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I burned the file to the DVD as "Need to autostart.mpg"I then added an autorun.inf which contained:[autorun]OPEN="Need to autostart.mpg"When I insert... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by saberman, Nov 27, 2022.

1. saberman Win User

Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file

I burned the file to the DVD as "Need to autostart.mpg"I then added an autorun.inf which contained:[autorun]OPEN="Need to autostart.mpg"When I insert the DVD I get:If I click on it, I get:How do I get the mpg file to open when the DVD is inserted?

:)

saberman, Nov 27, 2022

2. Windows 10 media player won't play mpg video files

Hi,

To assist you better, kindly send us a screenshot and provide more details by answering the following questions:

• When did you start encountering the issue?
    • What specific troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Are you getting any error messages upon playing mpg video files?
    We look forward to your response.

Monica Cam, Nov 27, 2022
  3. MPG files will no longer play after Windows 10 update

Hi Cliff,

To help us identify what is causing this issue, we'd like to gather additional information:

• What specific update was installed on your PC before this issue occurred?
    • If we understood it correctly, you are also unable to play .mpg and mp4 files using third-party apps on your PC.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Cha, Nov 27, 2022
  4. Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file

MPG files on Windows 10

Hello all,

I am aware that windows 10 (I am used to Windows 7) will not natively play MPG files. I know this is a side effect of the codec being ripped out to prevent DVD playback via Media Player. The annoying thing is I have quite a few family MPG files mainly from our ageing Sony Camcorder on my system. Luckily I have Cyberlink Media Show pre installed that can play the files within it's own software and the media suite (espresso) can convert said files to other formats. However, converting takes time and it is frustrating that media player 12 won't do the job and Windows Explorer won't display these MPG files with the handy thumbnail within file explorer viewing. Given that I am a little distrustful of codec packs and all my other files such as MP4, WMV etc etc play well I am looking for a solution that maybe just allows windows explorer to display the thumbnails and as an added bonus Media Player can once again play them. It does seem draconian that MS stifled a common playback format such as MPG in the last 2 windows and a major backwards step. I know I could download something like VLC or Media Player Classic but it seems pointless seeing as I have software that can already play them.

I tried K Lite Codec Pack a while back but hated the effect it had that I uninstalled. It was causing thumbnails to constantly refresh everytime I opened a folder. So is there a way of slipping in a single codec only related to MPG files without risk of unsettling all the other stuff that works well? Many of the codec packs seem to have the unpleasant side effect of slipping in extra installations and seem very dodgy and capable of causing grief.

Thanks,
    Wayne

Scottyboy99, Nov 27, 2022
Thema:

Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file

1. Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file - Similar Threads - Trying auto play

2. Why doesn't auto play work?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why doesn't auto play work?: For some reason, auto play doesn't start playing my DVDs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-doesnt-auto-play-work/c347780b-0ef5-4947-8e2b-35e396f3df6c
  3. Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file: I burned the file to the DVD as "Need to autostart.mpg"I then added an autorun.inf which contained:[autorun]OPEN="Need to autostart.mpg"When I insert the DVD I get:If I click on it, I get:How do I get the mpg file to open when the DVD is inserted?...
  4. Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file: I burned the file to the DVD as "Need to autostart.mpg"I then added an autorun.inf which contained:[autorun]OPEN="Need to autostart.mpg"When I insert the DVD I get:If I click on it, I get:How do I get the mpg file to open when the DVD is inserted?...
  5. Auto play is not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Auto play is not working: My device's auto play is not working though i have checked that the settings for the auto play are correct and on. I have also checked the services that the shell hardware detection is automatic and running. I think the problem is in the registry editor where in the last part...
  6. MPG File transfer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MPG File transfer: Hi, I am transferring some old MPG files from a Windows 7 laptop to my Windows 10 laptop. The files transfer, but when I open them I get audio only, no video. Help...……. Guy...
  7. Auto play does not seem to be working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Auto play does not seem to be working.: These are my settings, flash drives do not open explorer when plugged in. Nothing happening when I drop in a Blu-ray, nothing happening when I drop in a blank CD *Sad They show up in Explorer, but no auto play happening at all. Any ideas why not ? TIA *Smile 68148
  8. MovieMaker12 sound only for .mpg files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MovieMaker12 sound only for .mpg files: My first post after searching unsuccessfully for an answer. I downloaded MovieMaker12 onto my new Dell Inspiron3650 desktop with Windows10. It plays .avi and .mov files OK but I get sound only for .mpg files. Any help would be appreciated. 39575
  9. Help to get MPG videos playing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Help to get MPG videos playing in Windows 10: Hello. My son and I have recently upgraded our 2-year old Dell 660 Inspiron from Win 7 Pro by doing a clean install of Win 10 Pro to a brand new HDD. As we have been testing out different apps and things to ensure everything is working, we've discovered that AVI files and MOV...
  10. MPG files on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    MPG files on Windows 10: Hello all, I am aware that windows 10 (I am used to Windows 7) will not natively play MPG files. I know this is a side effect of the codec being ripped out to prevent DVD playback via Media Player. The annoying thing is I have quite a few family MPG files mainly from our...