Windows 10: Trying to get encryption working. But "Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device...

Discus and support Trying to get encryption working. But "Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm trying to secure a few folders by using File Explorer / Advanced Attributes - check "Encrypt contents to secure data" but it does not work.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DevinMcEntee, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Trying to get encryption working. But "Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device...

I'm trying to secure a few folders by using File Explorer / Advanced Attributes - check "Encrypt contents to secure data" but it does not work.

System Information / Device Encryption Support gives the following error:

Reason for failed automatic device encryption: Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not modern standby.

Windows Security / Device Security / Security Processor / Security Processor Troubleshooting gives the following:

A firmware update is needed for your security processor.

I don't know what security processor firmware update is needed, nor do I no where to get it.

I spoke to HP support and they say that they do not support encryption.

I talked to Microsoft support and no surprise they said that the support has to come from HP.

Microsoft provides the following link to to get the upgrade to the TPM firmware from HP, but the page can not be found.

https://support.hp.com/document/c05792935

I tried clearing TPM - no luck.

System is an HP Spectre laptop, Windows 10 Pro. The system BIOS has been updated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

DevinMcEntee, Jan 24, 2020
  2. btarunr Win User

Imation Expands Line of High-Capacity, High-Security, Hardware Encrypted USB HDDs

Imation Corp., a global scalable storage and data security company, today announced the expansion of its secure USB hard drive line with capacities of up to 1 terabyte (TB), optional biometric fingerprint authentication, and a uniquely comprehensive set of options for secure USB hard drive management.

“Enterprise and government organizations increasingly need manageable USB devices in order to provide mobile workers with the tools necessary to work where and when they want, and access the data they need in the most secure way possible,” said Lawrence Reusing, Imation’s general manager for Mobile Security. “People are increasingly turning to USB hard drives to transport large data sets. Our expanding secure hard drive offerings are in response to our customers needing increased capacity without compromising control over the devices and data.”

Trying to get encryption working. But "Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device... 65b_thm.jpg

"Many organizations have already taken steps to encrypt and protect data on disk drives used in notebook PCs, but now need to go one step further to encrypt and protect data on personal storage devices," said John Rydning, IDC's research vice president for hard disk drives. "Imation's encrypted personal storage solutions address what is often a neglected area for data security in organizations."

Imation’s full line of secure data solutions – from USB flash drives to hard drives – allows IT administrators to provision employees with a wide array of manageable FIPS Level 3 validated secure USB devices, simplifying data security for travelers, teleworkers, and contractors.

Imation also offers IT administrators the industry’s most comprehensive device provisioning and management solutions with advanced features such as remote kill, device recycling, and compliance reporting. Imation delivers unique features and controls to meet Enterprise and Government customer needs, including:
    • Up to 10 users per device with one-factor or two-factor authentication standard, with robust support for complex and custom password policies including length, special characters, and expiration, among other rules.
    • Optional Imation ACCESS Enterprise device management, which streamlines provisioning, and offers customized security policies, deployment, and management of a few up to tens of thousands of secure portable devices across networks and security environments.
    • Available administration with McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator software, enabling centralized enterprise device management, and an array of administrative capabilities, including US Government CAC/PIV card authentication and optional antivirus software that prevents malware from being transferred onto the device.
    Imation secure hard drive features include:
    • FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standards) 140-2, Level 3 validated security processor meeting the most demanding regulatory requirements.
    • AES 256-bit hardware encryption, protecting data each time the USB hard drive is in use with the hardware-based AES 256-bit encryption implemented in Cipher Block Chain (CBC) mode.
    • Single or dual-factor authentication, customers can choose models with password-only authentication, or password plus biometric fingerprint authentication through an ergonomic swipe sensor, to protect data at rest and ensure data access for authorized users.
    • Unique tamper-evident aluminum enclosure that allows users to immediately recognize attempts to physically compromise the device.
    Imation’s Secure Data, Identity and Mobile Workspace product set helps organizations protect against data loss and supports compliance strategies, providing users secure and convenient access to their data and applications wherever they are, while delivering managed security and ensuring compliance over a range of USB devices and removable media.

Imation’s secure mobile solutions are available through Imation’s network of channel partners. For more information, visit http://www.imation.com/en-US/Mobile-Security/Mobile-Security-Products/Secure-Data/.

btarunr, Jan 24, 2020
  3. Device Encryption Problem on Windows 10 Pro

I just bought a new HP laptop and Windows 10 Professional on it. I got Windows 10 Pro because I need device encryption. I installed Windows 10 Pro as the directions indicated. Now I am following Microsoft directions to turn on device encryption. In
    checking if device encryption is available on my device, I see in system information that for Device Encryption Support is says "Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InsiantGo, WinRe is not
    configured." So, I cannot access BitLocker. What do I need to do to fix this problem?

NancyWonacott, Jan 24, 2020
  4. Trying to get encryption working. But "Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device...

Failed Automatic Device Encryption in System Information

Hi,

Windows Hello is a more personal sign-in method introduced in Windows 10. It is not available on all computers.

You may check these articles for more information regarding Windows Hello:

What is Windows Hello?

Windows Hello and privacy

Regarding the error message: Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo we suggest posting it in
    TechNet since the issue is more
    complex than what is typically answered here in Microsoft Answers forums.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post your query anytime.

Ronalene Mat, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

Trying to get encryption working. But "Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device...

1. Trying to get encryption working. But "Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device... - Similar Threads - Trying encryption working

2. Device encryption not shown , Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device encryption not shown , Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device...: I dual booted my device windows 11 with ubuntu , but before doing that i disabled device encryption by accessing it directly through settings. now after i have dual booted i search for device encryption but can't find it in settings anymore. I ran system information as...
  3. Device encryption not shown , Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Device encryption not shown , Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device...: I dual booted my device windows 11 with ubuntu , but before doing that i disabled device encryption by accessing it directly through settings. now after i have dual booted i search for device encryption but can't find it in settings anymore. I ran system information as...
  4. Device Encryption No Longer Works After Disabling Secure Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device Encryption No Longer Works After Disabling Secure Boot: My laptop came with an encrypted SSD. I temporarily disabled Device Encryption so that I could turn off Secure Boot I want to dual-boot Linux without entering a recovery key, but when I booted back into Windows, I could not re-enable device encryption. The setting just does...
  5. Device Encryption No Longer Works After Disabling Secure Boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Device Encryption No Longer Works After Disabling Secure Boot: My laptop came with an encrypted SSD. I temporarily disabled Device Encryption so that I could turn off Secure Boot I want to dual-boot Linux without entering a recovery key, but when I booted back into Windows, I could not re-enable device encryption. The setting just does...
  6. Fix Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Fix Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby: I currently using a laptop that support TPM 1.2 with Secure Boot both enabled. I don't know is there any other requirement for Device Encryption so how can I enable this feature?...
  7. help enabling encryption? "reason for failed automatic device encryption: hardware security...

help enabling encryption? "reason for failed automatic device encryption: hardware security...: im having trouble enabling encryption. when i look at msinfo it says under encryption support: "reason for failed automatic device encryption: hardware security test interface failed and device is not modern stanby, un-allow dma capable bus/devices detected"I know I have TPM...
  8. TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed...: I was trying to fix my latency problems, for the last year, and even tough I tried everything posted by Igor Leyko, very helpful, nothing helps. Here's screenshots on Google Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EaD9q4kCSz5QbZsT6 But, while looking at the System Information...
  9. IntelR UHD Graphics 630 failing tests on Dell Full Hardware Test

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    IntelR UHD Graphics 630 failing tests on Dell Full Hardware Test: My Dell XPS 15 9570 was having a bunch of trouble trying to run video games right after a full reset. the reset itself had its own issues I tried to run Warzone at the lowest possible settings and was bouncing between 2 fps and at most 30. I have spent a number of hours...
  10. Device Encryption Support shows: Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Hardware...

Device Encryption Support shows: Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Hardware...: Help needed, please: I have an HP All-in-One desktop PC, running Win 10 Home edition 64-bit. I am trying to determine if Device Encryption is available on this PC. Under System Info, Device Encryption Support shows: Reasons for failed automatic device encryption:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hardware security test interface failed

2. hardware security test interface failed dma supoort

3. Trying to get encryption working. But Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not modern standby

4. device encryption support failed