Windows 10: Trying to get files out of an SSD after apparent failure.

Discus and support Trying to get files out of an SSD after apparent failure. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good evening all! Here's my situation: I have two drives on my computer - one SSD, on which was installed my Windows 10 Home OS, and one HDD, on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Vidromar, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Vidromar Win User

Trying to get files out of an SSD after apparent failure.

Good evening all!

Here's my situation:

I have two drives on my computer - one SSD, on which was installed my Windows 10 Home OS, and one HDD, on which I have almost everything else.

Unfortunately, I am a muppet, and ended up saving quite a few files I'd very much like to get back on my SSD, and ONLY on my SSD... And then the following happened:

A few days ago, my computer started freezing, and then blackscreened, so I forced it to shut down, and tried turning it on again, which is when I ended up on this screen:

Trying to get files out of an SSD after apparent failure. 978f54d8-2c69-49da-a125-806ca334c6bb?upload=true.png

Pressing a key did nothing.

I have tried the following:

- System Restore.

- Changing SATA cable.

- Changing motherboard port.

At this point, I am guessing the problem is that my computer cannot find Windows to launch it, and suspect my SSD is at fault.

I therefore tried booting into my HDD by installing windows on a new partition using a USB drive. This goes off without a hitch, and I can now use my computer minus the SSD again.

So, here's the situation now, with screenshots:

When I look at "This PC" with both my HDD and SSD hooked up, this is what I see No SSD showing up.

Trying to get files out of an SSD after apparent failure. 3a62258c-e4fc-47ae-924b-69806e67c708?upload=true.png

However, when I open my device manager, the picture is a little different:

Trying to get files out of an SSD after apparent failure. 471404b9-2de0-4c45-b225-3ad07045a0b2?upload=true.png

Finally, here is my Disk Manager screenshot:

Trying to get files out of an SSD after apparent failure. 4be8ffe3-d3ed-4531-b6a5-944319e43cab?upload=true.png

I have tried getting Recuva - Unfortunately, however, it cannot seem to access the SSD - here is what I get when I use the program:

Trying to get files out of an SSD after apparent failure. 17bc9709-f9ea-4c13-94ff-412d00da9058?upload=true.png

I am not sure how relevant this is, but just in case, when I try scanning the last Disk "HarddiskVolume1", I get this error message:

Trying to get files out of an SSD after apparent failure. 49e42b06-b77f-436e-a81a-a370d87eadfa?upload=true.png

So, after more googling, I end up finding a few relevant threads, which I am going to include here, just for reference's sake:

https://www.easeus.com/resource/disk-unknown-not-initialized.html#s4

https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/47569-recuva-cant-recognize-hard-drive/

Now, as far as I can see, going by that first link, I fall into solutions 4, 5 and 6, given that my disk "shows nothing about disk capacity" instead of "unallocated".

I would very much prefer NOT to lose some files I have on my SSD. I have gone as far as I trust myself when it comes to messing around with my PC, but now that we get to "partitions", "quick formatting", and things like "MBR", I am rather out of my depth, and am very afraid that I may be doing more damage than good.

And so, we finally reach my questions:

- Will updating disk drivers lead to any potential data loss?

- Will initialising partition lead to any potential data loss?

- Does anyone see a solution I may have missed?

- Should I just give up and just get professional help?

Thank you very much for your time in reading all this, and do feel free to ask me for more information if I forgot to include anything useful!

:)

Vidromar, Mar 26, 2021
  2. swarfega Win User

SSD Failure

Last year I replaced an aging hard drive in my Mum's pc with a slightly less aging OCZ Vertex 2 SSD.

This morning she was using the pc just fine then left it until this evening when it suddenly would not boot and reported sata drive failure.

Perhaps I shouldn't be too disappointed considering it was last generation technology.

What should be my first steps in diagnosing this fault? If the drive has failed I may as well suggest it be replaced with a more modern one which I'm sure has better longevity. I have an external drive reader which can take any sata device. This should allow me to see if the data is accessible.

In my own rig I have a Samsung 840 EVO 250 which has served me well so I may suggest she gets the same unless you guys have alternative suggestions.

swarfega, Mar 26, 2021
  3. labeeman Win User
    SSD Failure

Your SSD failed could be any number of things first I would re seat all cables on the drive. Second substitute another drive in the system and see if it shows up in BIOS or try the original drive in a another machine and see if the system can see the drive. The sata controller could also be bad on the mother board in that case no drive will work.

labeeman, Mar 26, 2021
  4. Kursah Win User

SSD Crucial Bx 100 - rattling/vibrating. Possible?

This has been suggested several times already, and it has been suggested you try to move the SSD, remove it, or even suspend it in your case. Will you please try one of these?

If you don't understand vibration and resonance, please refer to @dorsetknob 's post above. *Smile Trying to get files out of an SSD after apparent failure. :) It has been explained that something else moving/vibrating (even if you don't think they're vibrating they are...), fans, hard disk drives, and anything with a motor will cause some form of vibration at certain frequencies. This can be transfered through your case's chassis and where you mounted your SSD could be reaching a certain frequency that causes it to slightly move and rattle against the case.

We are suggesting you take action and report back..you keep asking questions from step 1...we should be on step 4 by now...that is solution.

Try what has been suggested and report back please. Otherwise all you're doing is leading this thread in an endless circle and the help will stop shortly thereafter.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Mar 26, 2021
Thema:

1. Trying to get files out of an SSD after apparent failure. - Similar Threads - Trying files SSD

2. Ssd failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ssd failure: How to fix ssd failure with only 1 ssd trying to keep my windows on this ssd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-failure/8b785cb8-3e15-469b-a324-919f9abaf558
  3. Ssd failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ssd failure: How to fix ssd failure with only 1 ssd trying to keep my windows on this ssd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-failure/8b785cb8-3e15-469b-a324-919f9abaf558
  4. Ssd failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows installation after SSD failure

Windows installation after SSD failure: Hi!PC Details:- Windows 10 Home Edition.- SSD C drive- HDD D drive- NVIDIA RTX 2080- 8 GB RAMIssue details:- After the last windows updates, I noticed that the windows freeze no clicks, nothing can be done. I had to switch off and switch on the PC. - I also noticed that any...
  6. Windows installation after SSD failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows installation after SSD failure: Hi!PC Details:- Windows 10 Home Edition.- SSD C drive- HDD D drive- NVIDIA RTX 2080- 8 GB RAMIssue details:- After the last windows updates, I noticed that the windows freeze no clicks, nothing can be done. I had to switch off and switch on the PC. - I also noticed that any...
  7. Windows installation after SSD failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Been ripping my hair out trying to delete these two iCloud files that apparently "don't...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Been ripping my hair out trying to delete these two iCloud files that apparently "don't...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Seauton1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mq87ts/been_ripping_my_hair_out_trying_to_delete_these/
  9. Failure to Reboot after installing new SSD

Failure to Reboot after installing new SSD: Hi, I recently bought a Dell XPS 13 laptop with a 128gb internal SSD. When I began running out of space, I bought a 500gb internal SSD to replace it. I cloned my current SSD onto the new SSD, then installed it into my laptop. When it started my laptop again, everything...
  10. SSD Failure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD Failure: Last year I replaced an aging hard drive in my Mum's pc with a slightly less aging OCZ Vertex 2 SSD. This morning she was using the pc just fine then left it until this evening when it suddenly would not boot and reported sata drive failure. Perhaps I shouldn't be too...