Windows 10: Trying to hook SATA DVD through USB with no success

Discus and support Trying to hook SATA DVD through USB with no success in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My computer has all 4 SATA ports already in use and so I don't have an extra one to connect my full size internal SATA DVD. I tried to hook it through... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by YanKleber, Jan 21, 2021.

1. YanKleber Win User

Trying to hook SATA DVD through USB with no success

My computer has all 4 SATA ports already in use and so I don't have an extra one to connect my full size internal SATA DVD.

I tried to hook it through an USB port using one of those external USB HDD conectors with cables but it didn't work. The DVD lights up, opens and closes the tray but that's all. It doesn't spins the disc and also doesn't get recognized by the system.

Any idea?

:)

YanKleber, Jan 21, 2021
  2. Edwin Win User

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

Use Option Two in Brinks tutorial and in step #6 choose DVD instead of USB.

Edwin, Jan 21, 2021
  3. SATA DVD-RW Drives

Hey Guys,

So, I finally just bought my new rig: EVGA A1 Mobo (w/ 6 SATA Slots), 2 WD Raptors (SATA - Gonna RAID 0 Boot), 4 Seagate 320GB Barracuda's (SATA - Gonna RAID 5 Storage).
    However, I realized I also bought 2 DVD-RW drives, in SATA *Eek! Trying to hook SATA DVD through USB with no success :eek: not enough SATA ports on the mobo...

So a couple of questions follow:
    1) Is SATA really faster for DVD-RW drives than IDE?
    2) Is there anyway to Inline/Series the (2) SATA DVD-RW drives, kinda like you do with IDE (Master/Slave)?
    3) Are there any SATA-->IDE reverse adaptors (not the opposite, I know those exist)?
    4) Based on the above answers, should I:
    • a) Get a PCI-E SATA RAID Card to Handle One of the RAID Arrays, and keep the DVD-RW drives as SATA? (although those are dang expensive, AND I don't know where that PCI Card is gonna fit - got an 8800gtx, PCI Slot-Cooler, Wifi card... an extra slot but no room down there)
    • b) Return the DVD-RW SATA drives and get (2) IDE DVD-RW drives?
    • Another option that won't require me spending a lot of money?
    Eesh, I'm kinda stuck on my build if I don't have a CD Drive to read from for Windows Install(I don't have any extra ones sittin around - and I want to install my RAID 5 Storage array right away)

Suggestions?*Confused Trying to hook SATA DVD through USB with no success :confused:

surfsk8snow.jah, Jan 21, 2021
  4. Trying to hook SATA DVD through USB with no success

Booting off USB/DVD fails (UEFI)

Hi Dalchina,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The USB was created by Microsoft's MediaCreationTool. (I have done this many times just in case too). As was the DVD which I have had for a while, and other pc's boot off this.

I will try your suggestions. But yes either USB or DVD was at the top of the list for the BIOS of course.

Trying to hook SATA DVD through USB with no success :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Dalchina,

Also see (3) for selecting bootable media in the first post.

Trying to hook SATA DVD through USB with no success :)

TroubleShot, Jan 21, 2021
Thema:

Trying to hook SATA DVD through USB with no success

1. Trying to hook SATA DVD through USB with no success - Similar Threads - Trying hook SATA

2. Monitor hooked through a DB9 to VGA adapter not recognizing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor hooked through a DB9 to VGA adapter not recognizing: I've finally bought the last cord that I need to hook up a second monitor, at least I thought so. It's a VGA monitor that I'm currently running into a VGA/DB9 adapter, given that my PC only has one VGA port and 0 HDMI ports. However I can't seem to get the computer to...
  3. Monitor hooked through a DB9 to VGA adapter not recognizing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor hooked through a DB9 to VGA adapter not recognizing: I've finally bought the last cord that I need to hook up a second monitor, at least I thought so. It's a VGA monitor that I'm currently running into a VGA/DB9 adapter, given that my PC only has one VGA port and 0 HDMI ports. However I can't seem to get the computer to...
  4. Monitor hooked through a DB9 to VGA adapter not recognizing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter not working in windows

Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter not working in windows: I have purchased this Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter in hopes of retrieving old photos off an external hard drive and the older type hard drives BUT my windows 10 wont find it or anything, I can hear the drive running but nothing from my computer, I have...
  6. Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter not working in windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter not working in windows: I have purchased this Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter in hopes of retrieving old photos off an external hard drive and the older type hard drives BUT my windows 10 wont find it or anything, I can hear the drive running but nothing from my computer, I have...
  7. My MX500 250gb sata ssd is not being detected by Windows through a sata to USB connecter

My MX500 250gb sata ssd is not being detected by Windows through a sata to USB connecter: I just got my SSD today and I encountered this problem. Thing is, Windows detects the sata to usb connector fine, but the SSD doesn't show up at all, in both file explorer or device manager. Thanks....
  8. SATA to USB 3.0 Adaptors

SATA to USB 3.0 Adaptors: Hi, I wonder, should I buy one of these Sata to USB interface? I have a 1TB internal hard drive I could use as portable HDD, I would not move it a lot, perhaps once per month from home to work. [ATTACH] Are these safe for my USB ports or simply for the computers? And...
  9. Lost SATA HDD and SATA DVD after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost SATA HDD and SATA DVD after Windows 10 update: I have lost a secondary SATA HDD and SATA DVD drive after a Fast Ring Windows 10 Build update. Both the missing drives are on the same SATA channel. They DO show up in BIOS, but they do NOT show in either Windows Explorer or Windows Disk Management. Was it the Windows 10...
  10. DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks

DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks: Since I upgraded to windows 10 my SATA DVD/CD RW will not work. I insert a disk the light come on showing it is reading. 2. when I click to dvd drive , appears a dialoge box stating "Insert Disk" . So I am unable to use and cd to read/install any of my software. Also I have...