Windows 10: Trying to initialize a second hard drive

Discus and support Trying to initialize a second hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I nuked a hardrive I had from before and put it into my PC. My PC sees all the information but when I try to initialize disk I get the error message:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TcgLionHeart, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Trying to initialize a second hard drive

I nuked a hardrive I had from before and put it into my PC. My PC sees all the information but when I try to initialize disk I get the error message:

Disk Management

The opertaion failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Managment console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer.

I have tried restarting my PC, I've refreshed the task and I've restarted the Disk Management. I do not know what to do.

:)

TcgLionHeart, Oct 17, 2018

2. Mechanical Hard Drive A:\

Proceed with the steps I gave you to test the hard drive to know for sure it's condition.

If it passes wipe it and try formatting as suggested. If it fails initializing as MBR then try GPT (for data).

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 18, 2018
  3. little cat, Oct 18, 2018
  4. Trying to initialize a second hard drive

second hard drive

Hi,

Based on the screenshot that you've provided, it seems that the second hard drive is not recognized by your computer. For us to resolve the issue, we recommend that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. Follow these steps on how to run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• On Cortana search, type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting from the list.
    • Click View all at the left pane of the window.
    • Select Hardware and Devices.
    • Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.

Feel free to post back if you have other concern.

Gerard Qui, Oct 18, 2018
Thema:

Trying to initialize a second hard drive

1. Trying to initialize a second hard drive - Similar Threads - Trying initialize second

2. How to initialize second drive without formatting it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to initialize second drive without formatting it?: On Windows 10 Home: I have an old second internal HDD (D:/) from my previous desktop which contains all my personal files that I want to move on to my knew desktop. Adding a new drive was easy using disk management which you just had to format the new drive to get it...
  3. How to initialize second drive without formatting it?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to initialize second drive without formatting it?: On Windows 10 Home: I have an old second internal HDD (D:/) from my previous desktop which contains all my personal files that I want to move on to my knew desktop. Adding a new drive was easy using disk management which you just had to format the new drive to get it...
  4. Initializing a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Initializing a new hard drive: I am trying to initialize a new hard drive. I get "Access Denied" Virtual Disk Manager. What is the solution to this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/initializing-a-new-hard-drive/f29a0ab3-1ab2-4485-9763-e10ee27cd0ca
  5. Hard drive became Not Initialized Unallocated

Hard drive became Not Initialized Unallocated: My hard drive of size 1tb was working, but suddenly it was not showing. I opened control panel there it showed the drive. In disk management it was showing my disc was Not Initialized, unallocated, and its size was reduced to 931mb. It should an Initialize Disc tab but when I...
  6. Unable to initialize external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to initialize external hard drive: Hi, I was using an external hard drive on my PS4 however it just randomly stopped working after well over a years use. I plugged it into my PC but i could not see it. When i open disk management and do a disk scan i can then see it appear in the disk management section...
  7. Initialize Hard drive

Initialize Hard drive: Hi all, A friend of mine asked me if I can help him get his laptop back into working order. It is a Samsung model NP740U3L When I turn it on, after about a minute, it tells me: All boot option tried Press F4 for repair After pressing F4 it comes back to the same screen as...
  8. Initializing and Formatting new Hard drive

Initializing and Formatting new Hard drive: I got a new Internal Hard drive for my computer a WD Blue 1TB PC HArd drive 7200 RPM. My problem is when formatting or initializing something went wrong and I am now unable to initialize the disk and When I try to it gives a Data error cyclic redundancy check. Any help would...
  9. Not Initializing my hard drive

Not Initializing my hard drive: When I try and initialize my disk it says "The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-initializing-my-hard-drive/5709a458-e6ac-40cd-90d4-e8a45ddaa3a6
  10. Hard drive unknown, not initialized

Hard drive unknown, not initialized: Yesterday while using my computer my secondary drive / storage drive disappeared. I can see it in Disk Management, but I tried to use MiniTool, but it cannot see the drive. I have attached a screen shot for more info. Is it KIA or recoverable long enough to save a couple...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what type of initialize for second hard drive