Windows 10: Trying to install new SSD in Laptop - but have issues!

Discus and support Trying to install new SSD in Laptop - but have issues! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi - have put a new disk into the laptop HP and the old drive is connected via USB - I also have a USB Media Creation tool image on a memory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Phil19821972, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Trying to install new SSD in Laptop - but have issues!

Hi - have put a new disk into the laptop HP and the old drive is connected via USB - I also have a USB Media Creation tool image on a memory stick.Whilst the laptop will boot to the USB with the new image on it, it wont install - I guess because it wants to check I have a licence? I can't get it to boot to the old disk - or use the software that came with the disk to clone the old drive to the new one - I am completely stuck!

:)

Phil19821972, Jun 3, 2021
  2. JhakeSong Win User

Difficulties installing a new SSD

Hi RalphBrands,

Thank you for reaching back. I am sorry to hear that the steps didn't work for you. Let's try the following steps to see if this solves the issue.

It's possible that the drive has write protection, (If the drive has write protection, we can't do changes to it.) we can try to remove it by running these commands:

1) Press the Win+R keys on your keyboard to open the Run box.

2) Type diskpart -> press Enter to run it.

3) Inside the diskpart environment -> type and run each of these commands by pressing Enter.

4) Type list disk -> press Enter.

5) Identify your SSD in the list -> type select disk X -> press Enter (where X is the name of your SSD).

6) Run the command attributes disk clear readonly.

7) Wait for the process to complete

Next is to attempt to format your new SSD inside Diskpart

Run the commands in order below:

1) list disk

2) select disk n (n is the disk number you wish to format)

3) clean

4) create partition primary

5) format fs=ntfs quick

6) assign letter=x (x is the drive letter you wish the assign for the drive)

Hope this helps. Let me know so I can further assist you. Have a great day!

JhakeSong, Jun 3, 2021
  3. Fresh Install of Windows 10 Home in new SSD

I have this Dell N4010 Laptop that I want to upgrade with an SSD and use the existing HDD as Data drive. I have an original windows of digital license.

Please suggest how I can install a fresh copy of the windows in my new SSD with the existing license. And please suggest how to activate the new installation of Windows.

Fahim.Anwar, Jun 3, 2021
  4. Trying to install new SSD in Laptop - but have issues!

SSD stops and freezes laptop

Couple of updates:

1. I created a Linux boot USB key, and monitored my SSD under Linux, so this is evidently not a Windows issue, and
    2. I loaded new firmware for the SSD, and my system seems to be functioning normally now. What a pleasure using a PC that doesn't consistently freeze up.

Thanks to all y'all for your suggestions!

Regards,

Dave

DavidMiller36415, Jun 3, 2021
Thema:

Trying to install new SSD in Laptop - but have issues!

1. Trying to install new SSD in Laptop - but have issues! - Similar Threads - Trying install SSD

2. Install new M2 SSD in laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install new M2 SSD in laptop: Hello, decided to upgrade my laptops SSD. I physically installed a new M.2 SSD on my laptop on the only slot there is or where the old one was. I have a windows installation media in a USB and when I boot up the laptop, the windows install screen comes up but when I get to...
  3. Install new M2 SSD in laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install new M2 SSD in laptop: Hello, decided to upgrade my laptops SSD. I physically installed a new M.2 SSD on my laptop on the only slot there is or where the old one was. I have a windows installation media in a USB and when I boot up the laptop, the windows install screen comes up but when I get to...
  4. Trying to install New SSD. trying to format results in: "this file does not have associated...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to install New SSD. trying to format results in: "this file does not have associated...: Frankly I can't really comprehend exactly what the file issue is. This is a road bump in trying to clone the boot partition of HDD and the cloning process doesn't work for displayed reasons....
  5. Trying to install New SSD. trying to format results in: "this file does not have ann ****....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to install New SSD. trying to format results in: "this file does not have ann ****....: Frankly I can't really comprehend exactly what the file issue is and the cloning process doesn't work for displayed reasons. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-to-install-new-ssd-trying-to-format-results/21522042-87fb-4cae-b671-55d7fcebfba2
  6. Trying to install New SSD. trying to format results in: "this file does not have ann ****....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to install New SSD. trying to format results in: "this file does not have ann ****....: Frankly I can't really comprehend exactly what the file issue is and the cloning process doesn't work for displayed reasons. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-to-install-new-ssd-trying-to-format-results/21522042-87fb-4cae-b671-55d7fcebfba2
  7. Trying to migrate windows installation to new ssd.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to migrate windows installation to new ssd.: When I first did this build, I installed windows on a 1tb ssd. I just got a new 2tb ssd and I want to migrate my windows installation and files to the 2tb ssd. So I cloned my 1tb to the 2tb and reset the boot priority to my 2tb. So I booted up windows and windows still...
  8. I'm having trouble installing to a new ssd

I'm having trouble installing to a new ssd: As the title says I've been trying to install to a new ssd that I got. I'm using the windows 10 media installation and I can't get past any sort of boot process for it. I have tried changing my settings in my bios to boot from UEFI but it's just getting stuck at the Asus...
  9. Installing Windows on new SSD in a laptop

Installing Windows on new SSD in a laptop: My laptop has a 512GB hard drive and I just bought 1TB SSD to use for the OS and all my games. There is an open spot for the SATA SSD so I know there will be no issues there. I want to know the procedure to move the OS to the new SSD while still having the hard drive for...
  10. re-installing windows on new SSD issue

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    re-installing windows on new SSD issue: Hello, Bought a new SSD today, and wanted to make a clean installation of windows 10 Home on it, but installation is not even starting, error 0xc0000225 appears, and everything just stops. I do have licensed USB flash disk....