Windows 10: trying to install Office on laptop and got a scammer asking me to call 844 383 9003

Discus and support trying to install Office on laptop and got a scammer asking me to call 844 383 9003 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; on installing Office Home to my existing laptop, after I entered the key, I received a warning that there was a problem with my firewall and I needed... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JoAnnJohnson3, Aug 8, 2019.

1. trying to install Office on laptop and got a scammer asking me to call 844 383 9003

on installing Office Home to my existing laptop, after I entered the key, I received a warning that there was a problem with my firewall and I needed to contact 844 383 9003 which turned out to not be a microsoft rep. but I was stupid and gave them access to my machine . HELP

:)

JoAnnJohnson3, Aug 8, 2019
  2. Sasqui Win User

Help With Office 2013 Install

Our IT department sent a note about home use (Office 365, specifically), and this warning:

A suggestion... re-install Office 2010, then try to install 2013?

Sasqui, Aug 8, 2019
  3. candreas Win User
    Office 2016 Professional will not complete installation

No answers yet....

candreas, Aug 8, 2019
  4. Chronia Win User

trying to install Office on laptop and got a scammer asking me to call 844 383 9003

Office 2016 Professional will not complete installation

Searched the forums but did not come up with this problem being posted here yet. so apologies if I missed it am repeating this.

I have a Windows 10 on my computer and recently acquired a copy of Office 2016 Professional through Hubby's work for a discount. However We have been trying for 3 days now to install it and it will not complete the installation. The most common problem being that it hangs at 90% and just sits there and won't progress any further even after being left over night.

I have tried posting this problem on the Microsoft Community boards but they have been less than helpful in finding a solution. Of the things they have suggested, I tried them all but to no avail. The suggestions they gave that I have tried are as follows:

"Follow these steps and download Office 2016 again:
    1. First, check the type of internet connection you are using (Wired or Wireless)?
    2. If you are using a wireless connection then you may try to hardwire the connection.
    Try downloading Office 2016 now and check if you are able to install Office 2016 normally.
    In case the above step still does not work then follow these steps.

1. Stop the Print Spooler service from Services.msc.
    2. Disable the Anti-Virus/Security Software for a while, until you complete installing Office 2016.
    Check if you are able to install Office 2016 now."

Nope didn't work, and my computer ishardwired. Next advice they gave was as follows and also didn't work:

"In Task Manager make sure there are no Office 2016 or Office tasks running. Then restart the computer and try installing Office 2016 again, making sure that there are no Office tasks are running in Task Manager prior to running the Office 2016 installation.

Check the above and let us know if it helps."

Nope, still notta.

While it is hanging at 90% I have checked my task manager and all the columns (CPU, Memory, Disk, Network) were all sitting at 0.

Funny thing is Hubby was able to acquire a second copy via coworker and it installed completely fine without issue on our windows 7 laptop.

We do not have any other copies of Office or any office related program on this computer, nor has there ever been. We have uninstalled, rebooted and tried reinstalling several times all with the same result of getting stuck at 90% then going nowhere. We even tried the 32 bit version in hope that it would work because the 64 bit version wouldn't install, but 32 or 64, it's the same problem.

There was ONE time, and one time only, though, I couldn't tell you what, if anything, we did differently, that it got past 90% and came up with an error message saying some items couldn't be installed because of some reason (I failed to take note of it at the time and it hasn't recurred since) and gave me the option to retry installing those items (it didn't list what they were) or ignore. So I clicked retry, and after a several minutes of it trying again the same message popped up. I believe I tried retry three more times before finally clicking ignore and being told that if I ignored it that I may have to go into program and setting later to repair office because some feature may not work right.

At that point Office SEEMED to work...until I rebooted the computer. At that point I got a pop-up message (which I again failed to take note of) with an error saying I need to run the installer again because it didn't install or finish installing or something of that nature. So I ran the installer again. this time it hung at 1% and didn't move even after hours of letting it run.

So again I uninstalled everything rebooted and started fresh and am now back at the hanging at 90% thing. It's very frustrating. A brand new expensive product that is meant for windows 10 but can't be installed on it? I'm very perplexed.

Any thoughts on this or what I can try or do?

Chronia, Aug 8, 2019
Thema:

trying to install Office on laptop and got a scammer asking me to call 844 383 9003

1. trying to install Office on laptop and got a scammer asking me to call 844 383 9003 - Similar Threads - trying install Office

2. Scammer Call

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Scammer Call: Hi this is James. I wanted to report a scammer call. I received 4 calls from +49 number with non american accent saying that he is with "microsoft" and saying that my computer is compromise and sending them errors, asking to connect to my computer. I think it's a scam. Are...
  3. Scammer Call

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scammer Call: Hi this is James. I wanted to report a scammer call. I received 4 calls from +49 number with non american accent saying that he is with "microsoft" and saying that my computer is compromise and sending them errors, asking to connect to my computer. I think it's a scam. Are...
  4. Scammer Call

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. phone call scammers

phone call scammers: Hi Community Peoples , I was wandering ''actually needing to know'' will a microsoft , windows customer support person contact you @ your home # alerting you '' someone has been hacking and on your pc for days , and I need you to sign on your computer so I can help u delete...
  6. Alert Asking me to Call a Number

Alert Asking me to Call a Number: Split from this thread. I have a “critcal alert from micrsoft with alarms sounding and voice saying to call helpline at<Removed>It says computer is locked and not to shutdown or restart. It says windows firewall has blocked some features of this program. There is a box with...
  7. Just got a phone call about a security breach and asked me to hit 9 or call an 800 number....

Just got a phone call about a security breach and asked me to hit 9 or call an 800 number....: Just got a phone call informing me of a security breach, advised me to hit 9 or call an 800 number and refrain from any banking or credit card transactions. I hung up. Scam?...
  8. a windows scammers called me today my computer is slow

a windows scammers called me today my computer is slow: help me scammers called me today my windows is slow https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_start-windows_10/a-windows-scammers-called-me-today-my-computer-is/95ec2ecc-f6f7-49d0-b5c9-89be70946a10
  9. popup asking me to call windows? now asking me to restore computer

in Windows 10 Support
    popup asking me to call windows? now asking me to restore computer: r? tech/IT help please? so my mom went to a legit website unless she mistyped it, then a popup came up, saying system had a virus and to call windows with a phone #. we did & he said we hv ransomware *i don't think we have it though, didn't fit with what i googled* & he...
  10. Scammer call

in Windows 10 Support
    Scammer call: Just got a call from California from guy who said he was from Microsoft calling about error messages being sent out from my computer running Windows 10. Wanted me to get on computer to fix problem. These scumbags are clever enough to take advantage of rollout and problems...