Windows 10: Trying to install Windows 10 on an old HP Elitebook 8540w (2010) - any tips?

Discus and support Trying to install Windows 10 on an old HP Elitebook 8540w (2010) - any tips? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So, I'm trying to revive an old HP Elitebook 8540w notebook that had a harddisk failure. The problem is that I can't seem to get the Windows setup to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Sonar_Tax_Law, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Trying to install Windows 10 on an old HP Elitebook 8540w (2010) - any tips?

So, I'm trying to revive an old HP Elitebook 8540w notebook that had a harddisk failure.
    The problem is that I can't seem to get the Windows setup to start, neither from a flash drive nor an SD card:
    I used the Windows Media Creation Tool to create a bootable flash drive and tested it successfully on a different PC, but on the HP it's just not showing up as a bootable drive. Tried different USB ports, double checked the boot sequence in the BIOS - nothing, it just won't work.
    Then I used the Media Creation Tool again on an SD card and put that in the elitebook's card reader and it's showing up as a bootable drive, but instead of the Windows setup starting, the elitebook is just rebooting.

The only thing I didn't try yet is booting from the DVD drive, but I don't have any DVD dual layer blanks lying around - would it be worth a try to get some?
    Could this be a UEFI vs. BIOS problem? The elitebook has a BIOS option called 'UEFI boot mode' that is disabled by default and marked as for development purposes only. I tried both start media with the option on and off without success.

submitted by /u/Sonar_Tax_Law
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Sonar_Tax_Law, Mar 4, 2021
  2. Bill Smithers, Mar 4, 2021
  3. ImsaNaga Win User
    ImsaNaga, Mar 4, 2021
  4. ImsaNaga Win User

Trying to install Windows 10 on an old HP Elitebook 8540w (2010) - any tips?

HP EliteBook 8540w Device Drivers

I re-installed Windows 7 SP1 in my HP EliteBook 8540w. Now facing the following issues.

1-Unable to connect windows update.

2- PCI Serial Port

PCI Simple Communications Controller

Unknown device

Drivers Missing. could some kind souls plse help ?

ImsaNaga, Mar 4, 2021
Thema:

Trying to install Windows 10 on an old HP Elitebook 8540w (2010) - any tips?

1. Trying to install Windows 10 on an old HP Elitebook 8540w (2010) - any tips? - Similar Threads - Trying install old

2. Trying to install windows on HP elitebook i5

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to install windows on HP elitebook i5: "Windows could not parse or process unattend answer file[C:\Windows\Panther\unattend.xml]. The answer file is invalid. The error was detected at line 12 column 139 of the answer file."It then gives tells me windows cannot complete the installation. To install windows on this...
  3. Trying to install windows on HP elitebook i5

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to install windows on HP elitebook i5: "Windows could not parse or process unattend answer file[C:\Windows\Panther\unattend.xml]. The answer file is invalid. The error was detected at line 12 column 139 of the answer file."It then gives tells me windows cannot complete the installation. To install windows on this...
  4. Trying to install windows on HP elitebook i5

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hp Elitebook Glitching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hp Elitebook Glitching: My Hp Elitebook keep glitching for no reason. I got it fixed but it happens again and again. Is there anything I can do about that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-elitebook-glitching/8eeb4752-c45c-4a88-9642-25e3c91e9820
  6. Hp Elitebook Glitching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hp Elitebook Glitching: My Hp Elitebook keep glitching for no reason. I got it fixed but it happens again and again. Is there anything I can do about that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-elitebook-glitching/8eeb4752-c45c-4a88-9642-25e3c91e9820
  7. HP Elitebook 2560p

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP Elitebook 2560p: Is there a driver for fingerprint reader for Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-elitebook-2560p/6d97a867-1c29-4a4d-80ee-a4d30a66d951
  8. Switching to windows 10 any tips?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching to windows 10 any tips?: Hi Everyone :) After over 5 years of using macOS and Linux I'm finally switching to windows. I can't afford a new mac anymore and my old one is on it's last legs. I'll still be using linux for my work, but I am going to buy a windows laptop soon. I have never used windows...
  9. Any tips?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any tips?: [ATTACH] I'm trying to get rid of this, but nothing is working. Can someone tell me how? https://preview.redd.it/hcth3jolcu441.png?width=1001&format=png&auto=webp&s=ebd14b9ea7ba6948db1819d0186abf8b979ca681 submitted by /u/damyan_270 [link] [comments]...
  10. Is this AC Adapter ok for an HP EliteBook 8540w I just picked up?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is this AC Adapter ok for an HP EliteBook 8540w I just picked up?: Is this AC Adapter ok for an HP EliteBook 8540w I just picked up? --- Are there better choices I can look into? [img] I’m using the 19Vdc 4.74A as a guide based on the battery compartment information which I suppose is really for the battery if there was one in it....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hp elitebook 8540w fingerprint driver

2. elitebook 8540w secureboot option