Windows 10: Trying to install Windows 10 on old machine

Discus and support Trying to install Windows 10 on old machine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; hai i've got a problematic notebook (hp mini) laying around so i thought i want to install windows 10 on it and see if the problem goes away. so i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iDamn, May 31, 2017.

1. iDamn Win User

Trying to install Windows 10 on old machine

hai

i've got a problematic notebook (hp mini) laying around so i thought i want to install windows 10 on it and see if the problem goes away. so i created bootable usb using rufus, and plugged in the usb on the notebook, but sadly it didnt boot from my usb. it is running insyde h20 bios, which i really cant find much in there. i just rearranged the boot order, but sometimes upon restart, it resets itself due to "cmos something" related.

it will give me a continuous loud beeping sound on the "windows is loading files" screen. and it will directly bring me to recovery manager screen, where i have the option to do system restore, reformat to out-of-the-box, cmd etc but none of which seems to helped me. i used cmd and curiously i formatted my OS folder, and now i have no OS installed. upon booting, it will just say missing operating system.

is there a way for me to let this old notebook to detect my usb and possibly install windows 10 on it? the only thing i know of that i can control is the bios by pressing F10. F8 doesnt seem to work anymore.

ps. i tried removing the ram stick and replace it, also the hdd. held power button for atleast 30 seconds to drain power but to no avail. < this is before i format os folder. and also i cant boot to safemode since the start, it will give me the safemode wallpaper but eventually the recovery manager would pop up.

:)

iDamn, May 31, 2017

2. I am trying to install Windows 10 on a machine with Windows 7 version. Install gets to 99% complete then stalls.

If the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant becomes stuck or unresponsive at various percentages: 0%, 32%, 62%, 87%, 99%, please wait at least 4 to 7 hours. If setup does not progress, close the wizard then restart your computer. Follow the
    instructions to upgrade manually using the Media Creation Tool or the Windows 10 ISO file.

If you are finding it difficult to carry out some of the steps described below, please review detailed instructions how to perform them:

How to Ensure a Smooth Upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Update

If you encounter an error regarding enough space to complete the upgrade, review instructions:

How
    to Install Windows 10 on Devices with Limited Space

Pre-requisite Task

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup.
    See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

Then try upgrading manually:

Option 1: Using the Media Creation Tool

Download the Media Creation Tool Now

Right click the MediaCreationTool.exe file then click
    Run as administrator.

Trying to install Windows 10 on old machine [​IMG]

Note: How
    to verify if you downloaded or installed the Windows 10 November Update

Select Upgrade this PC now then click Next

Trying to install Windows 10 on old machine [​IMG]

Option 2: Upgrade using the Windows 10 ISO file.

Pre-requisite Task

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup.
    See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

then

then

• Disable
      (preferrably uninstall)
      your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
    • Restart a few times then try again.
    • Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader). You can do this from the Device Manager.
    • If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).
    • Load your BIOS the reset the BIOS defaults.
    • Check if there any available BIOS updates for your system, then apply them.
    • If you are using a SCSI hard disk, make sure you have drivers available for your storage device on a thumb drive and it is connected. During Windows 10 setup, click the Custom Advanced Option and use the Load Driver command to load the appropriate driver
      for the SCSI drive. If this does not work and setup still fails, consider switching to a IDE based hard disk.
    • Perform a
      clean boot
      , restart then try again.
    • If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both then attempt setup again.
    • If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.
    • If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
    • If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account.

Andre Da Costa, May 31, 2017
  3. CRL1228 Win User
    I am trying to install Windows 10 on a machine with Windows 7 version. Install gets to 99% complete then stalls.

* Original Title: Windows 10 install issue

I am trying to install Windows 10 on a machine with Windows 7 version. Have tried twice and each time the install gets to 99% complete then stalls. Any suggestions?

CRL1228, May 31, 2017
  4. iDamn Win User

whoopsie doosie, sometimes the ultimate answer is to spam the hell out of the keyboard and magic will soon happen. i literally pressed i dont even know what, and i saw the screen says "press any key to boot from usb" and im like heck yeaaaaaaaaaaah.

i spammed the key Esc, F1, F4, F5, Del, PrtSc, F12, F11 so it must be one of those keys.

iDamn, May 31, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    Each computer manufacture has a F key so that you can boot to a device. For custom made computers one must change the boot order. For HP it is the F9 key. Then choose USB.

Some of the older model computers have computer manufacture drivers that have been tested for windows 7 and 8. So it is unclear whether you will or will not have smooth sailing. You can go the HP web site HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support
    and enter the computer product or serial number and then choose the operating system to see the supported drivers. In many cases Microsoft drivers will work when there are no HP drivers.

zbook, May 31, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    If you are having cmos issues, you probably just need to replace the cmos battery (easier said than done on some laptop/notebooks)

cereberus, May 31, 2017
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    Problematic? You are unlikely to be able to install Windows 10, without detailing the problem, and fixing the problem first. Windows 10 setup gives your hardware quite a workout, and if it recognises a wonky subsystem, it will probably fail.

Fafhrd, May 31, 2017
  8. iDamn Win User

by problematic, i meant i cant bootup to windows 7, the stock version. all i could see was the recovery manager which actually does nothing for me.

as soon as i got to boot from usb, i installed windows 10 without any problem except on the first boot, it got stuck on windows logo without any circling loading bar + the same loud beeping sound continuously. i waited but it doesnt seem to want to go away. forced reboot and still same result. so out of frustration and also curiousity, i punched the keyboard and the beeping gave a sign of stopping before resuming, so i kept hitting the keyboard until it stopped. only after that the windows was able to continue to boot up to cortana's introduction for creators update.

this is indeed a really old notebook, just 1GB ram with Atom N475 1.83GHz. now running windows 10 (15063.332). it's as slow as i remembered when on win7 with the settings set to performance. but imo, i see a little bit of improvements in terms of speed. the bootup is very fast too, less than a minute but i have to punch the keyboard if it makes the beeping sound again. sometimes it doesnt. for display adapter, intel graphics media accelerator 3150.

iDamn, May 31, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
Thema:

1. Trying to install Windows 10 on old machine - Similar Threads - Trying install old

2. Trying to install Windows 10 on an old Laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to install Windows 10 on an old Laptop.: I’m trying to install Windows on an old laptop of mine from about 2019-2020. Any time I boot into it and choose Windows 10 64bit I get this really odd static screen with a barely visible Windows logo. Any help?...
  3. Trying to install Windows 10 on an old Laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to install Windows 10 on an old Laptop.: I’m trying to install Windows on an old laptop of mine from about 2019-2020. Any time I boot into it and choose Windows 10 64bit I get this really odd static screen with a barely visible Windows logo. Any help?...
  4. Trying to install Windows 10 on an old Laptop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine

Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine: I just purchased a license for Win 10 Pro to install on a Virtual Machine hosted on a new Dell Laptop running Win 11 Pro. The Microsoft website did not allow me to buy a Win 11 License/product key, which would have been preferred since I plan to use this VM to test Win 11...
  6. Can I install Windows 10 from old PC to new machine?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I install Windows 10 from old PC to new machine?: Hi there! Recently my old pc stopped working (motherboard is not working). I've decided to buy new pc - actually a laptop. The issue is that i bought it without OS because it was about 400$ cheaper. Also I have working hard drive from old pc with windows 10 (upgraded 8.1)....
  7. Trying to install windows 10 enterprise trial on a virtual machine

Trying to install windows 10 enterprise trial on a virtual machine: I signed up for the Windows 10 Enterprise Trial but cannot install it on my VM — I was never given any kind of temporary license key or anything. Any suggestions? this feels very much like the wrong place for this but it's where the chatbot directed me so please feel free to...
  8. Windows 10: Removal of old (old, old) Windows installation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10: Removal of old (old, old) Windows installation: I have followed a few threads on manual removal of the Windows.old folder after automatic methods do not work, and none that I have seen has addressed the particular version of the problem I am seeing, which is that there appears to be a hard link embedded in this folder,...
  9. Windows 10 trying to install updates for old gpu drivers

Windows 10 trying to install updates for old gpu drivers: Hi I recently upgraded from a AMD gpu to a Nvidia gpu. I used the AMD clean up utility tool to remove all AMD software before I installed my Nvidia drivers. The new gpu is working fine. However, Windows keeps trying to install old AMD drivers through the Windows Update...
  10. Unable to install Windows on old machine

Unable to install Windows on old machine: I have been asked to look at my nephew's old PC. He is 15 and did the silly thing of using a paperclip inside the machine. I am still not sure exactly what he was doing but it made it go pop. They had to replace the CPU and motherboard. The motherboard is an old Asus...