Windows 10: Trying to install Windows on new hard drive using USB.....

Discus and support Trying to install Windows on new hard drive using USB..... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm using a Dell Inspiron 5755. I'm currently at "where do you want to install Windows?" Drive 0 Unallocated Space Drive 1 Partition 1: ESD-USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ThatJacksonLady, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Trying to install Windows on new hard drive using USB.....

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 5755. I'm currently at "where do you want to install Windows?"

Drive 0 Unallocated Space

Drive 1 Partition 1: ESD-USB

When I click on the latter it reads, "Windows can't be installed on drive 1 partition 1. Show details

:)

ThatJacksonLady, Mar 22, 2020
  2. little cat, Mar 22, 2020
  3. trying to install 7 w/o optical drive or USB drive (do have an external hdd)

This method is going to be trial/error on my part but here's my stab at it:

Use the guide he linked. Substitute in step 4, DO NOT FORMAT. Pre-format the hard drive with another PC/current windows install in NTFS format, then create 2 partitions. 1 to install from and one to install to. So in step 4 I beleive all you would have to do is a "clean" "select partition XX" & "active" command.

In step 5, use virtual CD/DVD software.

EDIT:

The only problem I see with above is how are you going to install while booting? Meaning, for it to boot wouldn't you have to be external but yet must install to an internal drive?

JrRacinFan, Mar 22, 2020
  4. thraxed Win User

Trying to install Windows on new hard drive using USB.....

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Mar 22, 2020
Thema:

Trying to install Windows on new hard drive using USB.....

1. Trying to install Windows on new hard drive using USB..... - Similar Threads - Trying install hard

2. INSTALLING WINDOWS IN A NEW HARD DRIVE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    INSTALLING WINDOWS IN A NEW HARD DRIVE: Hi, I just got a new hard drive for my Dell XPS 8500, the old one crashed and I tried everything with no results I think the drive is not spinning. I got the same Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD 2TB, already plugged in and run an ePSA diagnostics, and it already showed in my PC...
  3. INSTALLING WINDOWS IN A NEW HARD DRIVE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    INSTALLING WINDOWS IN A NEW HARD DRIVE: Hi, I just got a new hard drive for my Dell XPS 8500, the old one crashed and I tried everything with no results I think the drive is not spinning. I got the same Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD 2TB, already plugged in and run an ePSA diagnostics, and it already showed in my PC...
  4. Trying to install Windows 10 on a new PC using USB

Trying to install Windows 10 on a new PC using USB: Hi all, I'm building a PC for someone and the last thing I need to do is install the OS - which has turned out to be the most headache-inducing part of the build. I went and downloaded the media creation tool and set it up on a new flash drive. BIOS reads the flash drive...
  5. new hard drive installed and no windows

new hard drive installed and no windows: Didn't have a back up thumb drive, hard drive, or disk. Ordered the same hard drive from amazon without thinking about the operating system. Is there a way to get windows put back on this laptop from Microsoft?...
  6. install WIndows 10 from usb drive to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    install WIndows 10 from usb drive to new hard drive: Is it possible to install windows 10 from usb drive to hard drive on a newly built computer? My grandson built a computer for gaming and got windows 10 on the Microsoft site. He saved it on a usb drive but doesn't know how to get it installed on the hard drive. He has usb...
  7. installing windows on new hard drive

installing windows on new hard drive: my old hard drive got fried with a power surge. got a replacement hard drive, got a USB for installation, but it won't install. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-windows-on-new-hard-drive/29b67674-63e4-4db0-b671-4324d96b31be
  8. installing Windows on new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    installing Windows on new hard drive: The hard drive on my computer crashed. I have a new hard drive but I don't know how to install Windows 10 on it once I put it in as it will have no OS. I had windows 10 on drive that crashed. How can I get windows 10 on new drive without having to buy Windows 10 again. Have...
  9. Installing Windows to a new hard drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Windows to a new hard drive.: To cut a long story short, the hard drive in my old PC died. Fortunately, I was in the process of building a new one, so I have the parts at my house, except a case, as I'm getting one from a friend. However, that hard drive is the one that had Windows installed on it, and...
  10. I'm trying to install Win10 to a new hard drive.

I'm trying to install Win10 to a new hard drive.: I get a message about required partition missing. I put the hard drive onto a USB adapter and put a NTFS partition on it but still no joy. What's the story on "required partition" and how do I fix it?...