Windows 10: trying to installl/recover to new SSD

Discus and support trying to installl/recover to new SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a USB recovery drive made from windows 10 recover tool (Create a Recovery drive) I installed an SSD (it is smaller, and not formatted) When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rhendrix9, Aug 9, 2017.

1. rhendrix9 Win User

trying to installl/recover to new SSD

I have a USB recovery drive made from windows 10 recover tool (Create a Recovery drive)

I installed an SSD (it is smaller, and not formatted)
    When I boot from the USB it tells me the system drive is too small.
    Is it because the system drive is not formatted/partitoned. Or really too small.

There was not enough of anything on the original hd to need much space so the ssd is plenty big enough.

:)

rhendrix9, Aug 9, 2017

2. Printer woes

i installled windows 10 last night and i lost a printer.

how can i recover it if the cdrom is in storage and i need something printed in the next 30 minutes.trying to installl/recover to new SSD :(

NatashaReed, Aug 9, 2017
  3. Restoring Windows 10 from backup ISO

Followup: The reinstallation of my ISO was successful on the original SSD. I plan to reformat the new, larger SSD and try to recover to that drive. Can't define why one worked and one didn't, but will post if the reformatting resolved the original issue.

RichardJansenLive, Aug 9, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Some further considerations for you:

To make the best use of your SSD (best performance) normally you would enable AHCI in the BIOS, and clean install.

If your HDD uses MBR, not UEFI/GPT, that could be another consideration as to whether to clean install or not.

However, if you wished to effectively clone your HDD (but reducing partition sizes to fit) it should be possible to enable AHCI afterwards.

Enable AHCI in Windows 8 and Windows 10 after Installation Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

dalchina, Aug 9, 2017
  5. rhendrix9 Win User
    Thanks!
    I enabled UEFI in the BIOS

So now I just need to get a Win 10 installation .

rhendrix9, Aug 9, 2017
  6. AddRAM Win User
    Download Windows 10

Macrium Software | Your Image is Everything

Yes, it sounds like your image is bigger then the ssd.

As suggested do a clean install.

Or, shrink your C partition so it`ll fit on the ssd. Use Macrium Reflect to create a Disk image then image that to the new ssd.

I don`t even think you have to shrink the image if you use Macrium, but I would.

And make sure you image ALL the necessary partitions.

If you want, post a shot of Disk Management.

AddRAM, Aug 9, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    How big is the SSD? Also, I would use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to create a vanilla Windows installation USB flash drive. Boot from that drive to install just plain Windows 10 with. Also, when you do a clean install to a newly connected SSD - it is best to keep the old HDD disconnected until after the install of Windows onto the SSD is finished. If you don't do that, you are likely to end up with the boot files on the old HDD instead of the new SSD.

When you create a recovery drive from within Windows, it will also keep and use any customizations that the manufacturer included from the factory - which may mean set partition sizes meant for specific size hard drive. The vanilla Windows 10 USB flash drive created with the Media Creation Tool will not include those customizations, so it should install to any drive 32GB or larger.

Download Windows 10

If you do want to keep your current Windows 10 installation, as long as the space actually used on the HDD is less than the size of the SSD, you can use Macrium Reflect Free to either clone the HDD to the SSD, or create an image and restore it to the SSD, shrinking the Windows partition in the process to fit on the SSD. However - if the old HDD was booting in legacy BIOS (CSM mode) and you changed the UEFI Firmware (BIOS) to boot in UEFI mode, it won't boot until you do a couple of conversions (MBR to GPT on the SSD and create a FAT32 EFI System partition).

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. trying to installl/recover to new SSD - Similar Threads - trying installl recover

2. Trying to update my SSD with a new SSD - cloning gone wrong

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to update my SSD with a new SSD - cloning gone wrong: I tried to update my SSD with a new SDD.I cloned the old drive and then tried to boot up the new SSD which didn't work - blue screen on booting windows.Going back to the original drive I have now lost permissions to login to apps such as Teams, outlook, and office.Also I...
  3. Trying to update my SSD with a new SSD - cloning gone wrong

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to update my SSD with a new SSD - cloning gone wrong: I tried to update my SSD with a new SDD.I cloned the old drive and then tried to boot up the new SSD which didn't work - blue screen on booting windows.Going back to the original drive I have now lost permissions to login to apps such as Teams, outlook, and office.Also I...
  4. Recovering data from an SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering data from an SSD: I'm making a desperate and maybe senseless move to recover data from my SSD because of my mistake I only want to recover some small files from the documents in my old OS the history of my SSD is that I full formatted it twice because first I removed my old OS and second I...
  5. Recovering data from an SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovering data from an SSD: I'm making a desperate and maybe senseless move to recover data from my SSD because of my mistake I only want to recover some small files from the documents in my old OS the history of my SSD is that I full formatted it twice because first I removed my old OS and second I...
  6. Recover Windows 10 on new SSD

Recover Windows 10 on new SSD: I have an HP notebook that came with Windows 10 & I have recently created HP recovery media. How can I re-install the licensed Windows 10 that came on my laptop on a replacement drive SSD if my HP Recovery media fails?...
  7. Trying to migrate windows installation to new ssd.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to migrate windows installation to new ssd.: When I first did this build, I installed windows on a 1tb ssd. I just got a new 2tb ssd and I want to migrate my windows installation and files to the 2tb ssd. So I cloned my 1tb to the 2tb and reset the boot priority to my 2tb. So I booted up windows and windows still...
  8. AutoAttend Repair Installlation

AutoAttend Repair Installlation: Hey Guys, I am new here and searched through the forums and couldn't really find an answer to what I'm trying to do. I work in a break / fix shop and routinely do three things: Repair installations of Windows 10 In-place installations of Windows 10 Clean installations of...
  9. Clean installl

Clean installl: I'm currently running windows 10 school edition on my PC want to install my copy of Windows 10 home how do I go about getting one version off and using the other https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-installl/56d65e57-2c2d-47d9-8702-bb0cf84b35e9
  10. [Solved] Recover Windows onto new SSD

[Solved] Recover Windows onto new SSD: Unable to recover your PC. The system drive is too small." On the recovery drive there are 2 xml files which contain variables related to the system restore process. The file causing the issue described is called "$PBR_ResetConfig.xml", located in \sources\. Open the...