Windows 10: Trying to optimise a VM, found behaviour I don't understand

Discus and support Trying to optimise a VM, found behaviour I don't understand in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have VMs for each Win 10 version so I can test REG files and scripts. Each VM has 1 x dual-core CPU plus 4GB RAM assigned so aren't particularly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by RickC, Jul 7, 2020.

1. RickC Win User

Trying to optimise a VM, found behaviour I don't understand

I have VMs for each Win 10 version so I can test REG files and scripts. Each VM has 1 x dual-core CPU plus 4GB RAM assigned so aren't particularly speedy.

This concerns a Win 10 Home 1803 VM that was running more slowly than usual and had been up-and-running for several days. Windows Update Blocker is in use so I knew it wasn't Windows updating itself.

I opened Task Manager (which showed 100% CPU usage) and sorted by CPU usage. I spotted Microsoft Outlook Communications using 28% and traced it to:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.9330.20915.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\HxTsr.exe

Trying to optimise a VM, found behaviour I don't understand [​IMG]

A Google search (on another PC running alongside the host device) showed it to be part of the Outlook component of MS Office but I don't have MS Office installed at all... so I guess it's also included in another built-in Win 10 app. I looked back at the VM and saw that overall CPU usage had dropped to 78% but Microsoft Outlook Communications had risen to 43%.

I ended the task and expected the overall CPU usage to plummet. It didn't. Instead the Geolocation Service began taking lots of CPU so I ended the task... and it disappeared from Task Manager.

As I watched... it came back again... and did so every time I ended it. I opened the Services MMC and stopped it there... and disabled it for good measure.

I couldn't believe my eyes when, even disabled, it tried to start itself again (and is still trying)!

I swapped back to Task Manager and noticed sedlauncher running as a task. Now I really don't understand. Amongst other services I have Windows Remediation Service (and Windows Update Medic Service) disabled. (I had also previously uninstalled Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057).)

AFAIK there should be no way that sedlauncher could be triggered. It's now obvious that un-installing KB4023057 did not remove the services nor sedlauncher (or any other of the contents of C:\Program Files\rempl). Anyway, I've gone into Task Scheduler and deleted the Microsoft > Windows > rempl folder and deleted C:\Program Files\rempl.

Finally, in an elevated CMD console I deleted the Windows Remediation Service (sedsvc.exe).

Task Manager is now showing a far more reasonable 27% which I would like to improve upon. However, the Geolocation Service is showing again. I checked in the Services MMC and yes, it's running... even though disabled!

Questions:

Q1. I don't understand why Windows is ignoring both the Privacy > Location setting (Off) in Settings and the Geolocation Service setting (Disabled) in Services MMC nor why the service runs so persistently. I've checked Task Scheduler and cannot see anything that would kick it off. Has anyone else experienced this?

Q2. What could have caused Microsoft Outlook Communications to run and take so much CPU usage? I cannot find a scheduled task or service related to it (unless it was a background task... all of which I have now turned off). Could it be the OneSyncSvc which I notice is running... even though I'm using a local account and not a single one of the built-in apps like Mail, People, etc. (and Microsoft OneDrive Setup is disabled as a start-up app)?

Q3. What, if anything, do others do to optimise their Win 10 VMs?

Most of what I've seen here on TenForums advises to leave - for example - services well alone. Unfortunately my VM host - whilst well-specified in its day - is showing its age and I need to optimise its guests as much as possible. I'm used to waiting 5-10 mins for a Windows 10 VM to settle after being started but this VM has been up for days now.

:)

RickC, Jul 7, 2020
  2. Jack4_335 Win User

External hard drive ununsual behaviour

Thank you for getting back so quickly. Unfortunately it displayed the same behaviour any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jack4_335, Jul 7, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    defrag (optimise) not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1:

I would suggest you to Run maintenance task and check if it helps.

The Run maintenance task checks issues that might slow down your computer's performance, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at the same time.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X on the keyboard.
    • Select Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Run maintenance task under
      System and Security.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Jul 7, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Question About Scheduled Optimisation

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the Methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with system. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your System
    Maintenance.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the System Maintenance troubleshooter.

And also ensure that the Task Scheduler service is running.

• Follow the steps to check the service.

• Press Windows + R, type Services.msc

• Select the Task scheduler service and restart the service and check if it helps.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Arun B J, Jul 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Trying to optimise a VM, found behaviour I don't understand - Similar Threads - Trying optimise found

2. i don't Understand. Waht is This ??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i don't Understand. Waht is This ??: Hi guys i want some solutions for this problem. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-understand-waht-is-this/8f75166c-57c2-47bb-ad02-ac25b118d52a
  3. i don't Understand. Waht is This ??

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    i don't Understand. Waht is This ??: Hi guys i want some solutions for this problem. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-understand-waht-is-this/8f75166c-57c2-47bb-ad02-ac25b118d52a
  4. Message I Don't Understand

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Message I Don't Understand: I recently began getting this message, it pops up every few minutes. I already tried updating to windows 11 to see if that resolved it, but it didn't. Any idea as to how I can get this to stop showing up?? If it's any help, though I doubt it's related, I downloaded the...
  5. Message I Don't Understand

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Message I Don't Understand: I recently began getting this message, it pops up every few minutes. I already tried updating to windows 11 to see if that resolved it, but it didn't. Any idea as to how I can get this to stop showing up?? If it's any help, though I doubt it's related, I downloaded the...
  6. Message I Don't Understand

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I just don't, understand this?

in Windows 10 Customization
    I just don't, understand this?: My computer, is a Dell laptop.Running Windows 10.That's the computer, I'm on now.And, it works fine!I have another, computer. That, I just formatted.After, formatting. Cortana takes you,through the steps of setting up the computer.US, one keyboard. And then, you get up...
  8. I don't understand this . . .

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I don't understand this . . .: Lately I've been having trouble, staying on the internet?When I turn it on, from being completely off.It says no internet. I have a Wi-Fi code, to get online.So I go look, for available Networks. Then I'm connected.My computer's a Dell laptop, running Windows 10.I had my...
  9. I Don't Understand These Problems

in Windows 10 Support
    I Don't Understand These Problems: Hi. Sorry to bother you all again. I use Chrome with W 10 Pro>Specs: OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20200830152322.000000-180 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4 Total...
  10. I don't understand this . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    I don't understand this . . .: This a little, off subject. I do get to this Forum, on a computer, running Windows 10 That, should count, I guess? I'm a Kansas City Chiefs fan. I live near Kansas City. I watched Superbowl 54, live. The link below, will show you almost the whole game. But, the strangest...