Windows 10: Trying to partition my SSD and need help...

Discus and support Trying to partition my SSD and need help... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey, I'm trying to create a new partition on my drive, but when I try to shrink the drive in disk management it says I can only have a maximum of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mork.420, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Mork.420 Win User

Trying to partition my SSD and need help...

Hey,

I'm trying to create a new partition on my drive, but when I try to shrink the drive in disk management it says I can only have a maximum of 6000 odd mb yet I have 150gb of free space and when I try on minitool there isn't even an option to create a new partition. I also noticed I already have a new partition that I never created windows says it has 100% free space. I would like to make a new partition with around 50gb of space but I'm not too sure what to do at this point. If anyone could help me to do this I would really appreciate it.

:)

Mork.420, Feb 16, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Feb 16, 2020
  3. HLL_544 Win User
    Saving free space on SSD (Regarding multiple obligatory partitions on main drive)

Gerry Here just copy-paste some irrelevant response.

Well, **I've figured it out**. Here my solution (I Take no responsibility from any damage that might arise from this process, and I do not guarantee it to work for u.)

We'll assume u have 2 disks; SSD and HDD.

Also NOTE: I Work in a GPT-Disk partitioning scheme, I don't know if it's applicable on dos-style MBR partitioning.

General-methodology wich we are going to work with (or TL;DR).

• Delete all partitions on all drive
    • Install Windows on the HDD Drive
    • Install Windows on the SSD Drive (yes, twice!)
    • Repartition the HDD to free up and reallocate as we wish (The only parition that HAVE to be there is the EUFI System (Fat) )
    • After freeing up HDD space, move user folder to the HDD
    • PROFIT
    And in more detail:

THIS GUIDE ASSUME THIS IS A FRESH PC - THAT U DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING U NEED ON EITHER DISKS.

* - Asterisk, not a real step, just additional information

• Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Clear ALL partitions on BOTH drives
    • Let windows install itself onto the HDD, We'll call this installation win-hdd
      • There is no need to actually boot into this OS.
    • Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Let windows install itself onto the SSD. We'll call this installation win-ssd
      • *What would happen now, Is that windows detects the recovery and eufi partitions and does not need to create such additional partitions on your ssd. It would only create a 16MB windows reserved partition.
      • *Your boot partition would be hdd/eufi; But since windows detect it's own bootloader it would allow you to duel-boot between win-hdd and win-ssd(default)
    • Optional: During windows-ssd first run wizard switch to audit mode (CTRL+SHIFT+F3)
      • *We would use audit mode to:
        • * Optional1: Repartition hdd
        • * Optional2: Change "Users" folder to the hdd.
        • * If u do not want to move Users folder, u can do 6.2 After win-ssd fully boots instead
      • Repartition hdd & move Users folder:
        • Using a 3rd party tool such as "MiniTool Partition Wizard" you can do the fallowing *as you wish*:
          • Delete win-hdd partition
          • Delete recovery-hdd partition
          • Delete windows reserved (16 mb) partition.
          • You can also later move the EUFI to the start of the hdd disk, if needed
          • Create new partition (free to use) on hdd.
          • Make sure to properly assign drive letters to all drive as u wish
          • Fallow
            this guide
            to relocate the User folder (Starting from Step 2)
    • Boot into windows-ssd; If u do not know which one (int the OS selection screen) It's safe to assume that the automatically-selected one is the win-ssd.
    • If u have not performed 6.2 Yet, this is the time to do that now.
    GLHF.

HLL_544, Feb 16, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Help With Partition Management

If you really want your Windows to look like as if you do a fresh install and without losing what you currently have in C: Drive. Here's my suggestion:
    1. Make a complete backup image of your current HD including all partitions to an external HD using Macrium Reflect Free . Once done, disconnect all USB devices from the PC. Assuming now you only have one HD connected to the PC which you will be installing Windows.
      IMPORTANT: Also create a Macrium Rescue disk to boot from later on.
    2. Boot up your Windows installation USB/DVD. On the first screen, Hold SHIFT + F10 to open Command Windows then type:
      Diskpart
      select disk 0
      clean
      exit
    3. Click Next, Choose Custom, select the unallocated partition then click Next (Do not format), when asked for Product ID key, click on "Skip this step"/"Do it later". Continue the Installation.
    4. Once done. With the external HD connected, Reboot your PC with the Macrium Rescue disk, select the image that you created in step 1 as the Source.
    5. Select your current HD/SSD as Destination disk
    6. Restore only C: Drive to it. ie. overwrite the new C: Drive with your backup C: Drive.
      NOTE: See screen shot on how to perform this step
    7. Disconnect all the external devices. Reboot. Windows should perform a startup repair.

Once finish, you should end up with the partition scheme as follows:
    1. Recovery partition - 450MB
    2. EFI System partition - 100MB
    3. MSR Reserved partition - 16MB (Hidden from Disk Management but seen by Macrium or diskpart)
    4. Your old Windows C: Drive with all the installed software.

Screen shot: Click once on #1 (C: Drive), click "Delete Existing Partition" on #2, Click & Drag #3 and drop to #1. Click Next->Finish

Trying to partition my SSD and need help... [​IMG]

topgundcp, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Trying to partition my SSD and need help... - Similar Threads - Trying partition SSD

2. Lost partition - Need help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost partition - Need help: Hello good people,I did a fresh Windows 11 installation and now I have a problem where my SSD is devided into 4 partitions but only 2 are in use.I was looking on Google for solution, but everything I found was connected to EaseUS program and they want me to pay for a plan...
  3. My SSD partitions are in two separate disks, I need help merging them.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My SSD partitions are in two separate disks, I need help merging them.: I wanted to assign more space to my C drive which is in Disk 2 but apparently, the rest of the SSD drive's unallocated space is in Disk 0. I've tried a few methods but with no success. Is there any possible way I could achieve this?...
  4. My SSD partitions are in two separate disks, I need help merging them.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My SSD partitions are in two separate disks, I need help merging them.: I wanted to assign more space to my C drive which is in Disk 2 but apparently, the rest of the SSD drive's unallocated space is in Disk 0. I've tried a few methods but with no success. Is there any possible way I could achieve this?...
  5. Partition on my SSD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partition on my SSD.: The above image shows the partition of my disks, volume 0 & 1 are partitions from hdd of 1TB. My SSD in which only os is installed is of 120gb in which only 96gb is allocated for Cos. There are three hidden partitions, Is it safe to delete them? Or I should keep them??...
  6. Help with Partitions on a new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help with Partitions on a new SSD: Hi guys i have just upgraded my laptop HD to a 1g SSD Is it safe to partition this ssd without loosing the operating system that's already installed, and if so what program do you recommend Must be easy to use a hopefully free as i will only need it once I could use the disk...
  7. Help with Partitions on a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with Partitions on a new SSD: Hi guys i have just upgraded my laptop HD to a 1g SSD Is it safe to partition this ssd without loosing the operating system that's already installed, and if so what program do you recommend Must be easy to use a hopefully free as i will only need it once I could use the disk...
  8. SSD Partition Help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD Partition Help: Hi guys. Just wondering if I can have some advice please. I have a new Acer predator laptop and it comes with a 1TB SSD. I haven't really messed around with it too much yet other than installing Steam and a few games. I've been advised that it might be helpful to partition...
  9. Need help consolidating partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need help consolidating partitions: Attached is a screenshot of Disk Management. I would like to get rid of the partition named: "Windows 10 (OLD) (G:)" and consolidate the space with the partition named "Windows 10 (NEW) (C:)". Windows 10 (OLD) is an old version of Windows 10 for which I have no further use. I...
  10. Need help regarding cloning/partition/transfer to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help regarding cloning/partition/transfer to a new SSD: Hello guys. tomorrow, I'll be adding a new SSD to my laptop (SSD to the main disk drive and the old HDD to the optical(CD) drive, comment if anything is wrong over here) anyways, I am wondering about whether or not to make partition beforehand with only and only windows OS...