Windows 10: trying to play an old OLD game but unable to find right software

Discus and support trying to play an old OLD game but unable to find right software in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; TLDR: i have DirectX 9, im needing DirectX 6.1, where can i find a version THAT anchient? (from a very trusted source, i dont want anything as shady... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by redgoblin88, Jul 23, 2019.

1. trying to play an old OLD game but unable to find right software

TLDR:

i have DirectX 9, im needing DirectX 6.1, where can i find a version THAT anchient? (from a very trusted source, i dont want anything as shady as them D3Drm.dll download sites where bad things could be embeded)

Full details:

Hello, my very first game that i have EVER played was "lego rock raiders", i knew thwe thing expisted as i have memories of playing it as a kid, but after 20 years of it being lost and everybody saying "it doesnt exist, just forget about it" i finally found it at a carboot sale!!

Upon buying the game and launching it (in windows 98 compatibility mode, as thats the version it was designed for) i had my first problem, i was missing a "D3DRM.dll", turns out that you cant get these anymore and the only apparent way to get the files was from dodgy second **** sites where you may or may not get an embeded virus.

a year went by and my friend said he had a vintage xp machine that he was upgraded, so i jumped on him asking if he had the D3D that i needed and he did!! so with that file the game FINALLY launches with no more issues.....except one sanity one...

The problem i have now is that although the game does launch with no issues, everything responds as it should, i am only getting (i am NOT joking) literally 0.1FPS. looking at the case i was meting all the system requirements:
    windows OS (well windows 10 has compatibility mode so thats no problem)
    Pentium 200 CPU (i have a AMD ryzen 5 1600)
    200MB HDD (is 1TB enough? i think so!)
    32MB of RAM (i mean, i have 16gb, which is 15968 more than it needs)

but then it says about Directx 6.1 which i do have, but NOT that version, instead i have directX 9, which though at first glimpse may seem overkill, as a coder i know things will have been changed around in the software. functions added and removed and refined over the years, and with it being 3 whole versions ahead, it will be drastically different, so where can i find older versions which i need for the reccomended version of it?

:)

redgoblin88, Jul 23, 2019

2. Playing Old Dos Games

I have an Old Dos Game that I was able to find in bin format and was trying to figure out how to play it on Windows 10. I was trying to figure out DosBox but maybe it's just me but it's too complicated.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

sparker781, Jul 23, 2019
  3. Unable to play old games in Windows 10

Hello Larry,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Please provide more information to help you better:

• What is the exact issue that you are facing with old games on Windows 10?

• On which operating system that the games ran successfully?

• Which game are you referring to?

• Do you get any error message?

You might be facing this issue due to the incompatibility of the game with Windows 10. So I suggest you to install the game in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

Now, to install in Compatibility Mode, follow these steps:

a. Locate the executable file (.exe file) for the driver installation program.

b. Right-click the file, and then click Properties.

c. In the Package Name Properties dialog box, click the Compatibility tab.

d. Click to select the Run this program in compatibility mode for check box, click Windows 8/ Windows 7
    with which it is compatible with in the Run this program in compatibility mode for list, and then click OK.

e. Double-click the executable file to start the installation program.

Hope this helps. Please get back to us with the results we will be happy to help you further.

Anju Thekkethil, Jul 23, 2019
  4. trying to play an old OLD game but unable to find right software

Play an old Game

Cheers guys, I'm trying to play Unreal Tournament in my new release of Windows 10, but I can't. The This is my old favorite window xp game.

FrankWilson5, Jul 23, 2019
Thema:

trying to play an old OLD game but unable to find right software

1. trying to play an old OLD game but unable to find right software - Similar Threads - trying play old

2. Download old software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download old software: How can I download autocad 2000 on window 10 home . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-old-software/a2cc05b2-617d-42d7-b0d6-f0a5d4edf9b1
  3. Download old software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Download old software: How can I download autocad 2000 on window 10 home . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-old-software/a2cc05b2-617d-42d7-b0d6-f0a5d4edf9b1
  4. Download old software

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Installing and playing old microsoft games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing and playing old microsoft games: how can I play my CD's with Windows95 operating systems. I was told to that Compatibility Mode in Settings might work but I am having trouble locating that....
  6. Play an old Game

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Play an old Game: Cheers guys, I'm trying to play Unreal Tournament in my new release of Windows 10, but I can't. The This is my old favorite window xp game. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/play-an-old-game/7fe6ad08-9df3-46d4-afb6-21984837f2d6
  7. Cant play old games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant play old games: Hey my windows 10 cant play some old games command and conquer Tiberian Sun and command and conquer Red alert 2 it says one or more dlls are missing please reinstall and i have...
  8. I can't play old games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't play old games: Can somebody help i have windows 10 4 gb ram 3.1 ghz processor and 2 gb graphics card. Today i want to play game called x ray ball and it's released in 2004 but i can't play i just crash i have problems too in some old games from that year or another. Old games are so slow...
  9. Playing Old Dos Games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Playing Old Dos Games: I have an Old Dos Game that I was able to find in bin format and was trying to figure out how to play it on Windows 10. I was trying to figure out DosBox but maybe it's just me but it's too complicated. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks 36500
  10. How to play OLD games..?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to play OLD games..?: We purchased many CD based games for our first child (Spy Fox, Putt-Putt, Pajama Sam, etc). These games have great re-play value, and now our third child wants to play them on her Win10 Dell 2-in-1. However, they all say they are 16-bit games and can't be played. Is there...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can i play the very old version of majong which has better colour on it