Windows 10: Trying to Rebuild bcd on Windows 10 Toshiba Satellite - Nothing Works

Discus and support Trying to Rebuild bcd on Windows 10 Toshiba Satellite - Nothing Works in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am working on rebuilding the bcd on a Toshiba Satellite E45t-R4100 running Windows 10. The computer originally came with Windows 8, but I later... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jcarp, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Jcarp Win User

Trying to Rebuild bcd on Windows 10 Toshiba Satellite - Nothing Works

I am working on rebuilding the bcd on a Toshiba Satellite E45t-R4100 running Windows 10. The computer originally came with Windows 8, but I later upgraded to Windows 10.

The computer crashed when the battery completely ran out of charge while unplugged. When plugged in and rebooted the computer automatically ran startup repair, which was not successful and showed the standard Windows repair menu. I have done a significant amount of troubleshooting, and I will list the results below.

System restore from a restore point failed.

Running bootrec /rebuildbcd results in "Total identified Windows installations: 0"
    Running bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup results in "The operation completed successfully"
    But attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s results in "Path not found - C:\boot"

I tried generally following the instructions here C:\boot missing

And have the following partition and volume information

Partition # Type Size Offset
    Partition 1 Recovery 450MB 1024KB
    Partition 2 System 100MB 451 MB
    Partition 3 Reserved 16 MB 551 MB
    Partition 4 Primary 698GB 567 MB

Volume # Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    Volume 0 Recovery NTFS Partition 450MB Healthy
    Volume 1 C NTFS Partition 698GB Healthy
    Volume 2 FAT32 Partition 100MB Healthy Hidden
    Volume 3 D ESD-USB FAT32 Removable 14 GB Healthy

I have reformatted partition 2 and rebuilt the bcd using the following commands

diskpart
    sel dis 0
    sel par 2
    del par override
    cre par EFI
    for fs=FAT32 quick
    assign letter=T
    exit
    bcdboot C:\Windows /s T: /f ALL
    exit

Everything completed successfully but when rebooting the computer I receive the following error.

Recovery
    Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
    The operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors.

File:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\klbackupdisk.sys
    Error code: 0xc000007b

I have recovery media for Windows 10 and tried the commands again just to make sure I didn't miss anything and the computer gave me the same error notice.
    By the way, I did verify that the computer has a GPT partition style.

I also ran scan disk (chkdsk) from command prompt which returned no errors of any kind.

If at all possible, I would like to avoid a complete system restore/reinstillation of Windows.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

:)

Jcarp, Mar 28, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

How to clean up BCD entries? Rebuild the BCD?

This is normal that under Recovery Environment, The letters are re-assigned. This is why you have to be careful and select the correct one.
    @dictum
    Advice: Never use Easy BCD with Windows installed using GPT disk. Use Easy UEFI instead provided you know what you are doing. Easy BCD only works with MBR disk type.
    Base on the screen shot above. Your disk 0 is your new Windows and your disk 1 contains the old Windows. Disk 3 contains a 512MB Fat32 partition and I don't know what that is. I suggest you disconnect disk 3 for now before proceeding.

Let rebuild new BCD's for both disk 0, and disk 1. Please follow step by step on the 2 screen shots below. On step 3, write down the drive letter for PM981_New. In the screen shot, My Windows is still assigned to C but it might be different from yours. In step 10, if the drive letter is different than C, then use the letter in step 3.

Do exactly the same for disk 1, this time select disk 1 in step 4 and assign letter V in step 7, Use V and the drive letter for Old Windows in step 10. This will create a new BCD for PM981_Old and you will be able to boot separately from boot menu.

From boot menu, select which one to boot from.
    Once booted into Windows. If you wish, you can set up dual boot for Windows old & New. Under This PC, look for the drive letter of the offline Windows and type:
    bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the letter of the offline Windows

Trying to Rebuild bcd on Windows 10 Toshiba Satellite - Nothing Works [​IMG]

Trying to Rebuild bcd on Windows 10 Toshiba Satellite - Nothing Works [​IMG]

topgundcp, Mar 28, 2020
  3. Spaz123 Win User
    How to get into safe mode on Toshiba satellite

Does anyone know how to get into safe mode on a toshiba satellite. Black/blue screen with solid cursor after creator update fail. F8 is disabled by default in windows 10, so please do not suggest anything that requires win 10 to be working.

Spaz123, Mar 28, 2020
  4. Trying to Rebuild bcd on Windows 10 Toshiba Satellite - Nothing Works

Toshiba Satellite C655 Win10 touchpad not working

I have a Toshiba Satellite C655 running Windows 10 and the touchpad does not work. Tried FN-F9, no go. Need help with next step(s).

PT17SoonerPilot, Mar 28, 2020
Thema:

Trying to Rebuild bcd on Windows 10 Toshiba Satellite - Nothing Works

1. Trying to Rebuild bcd on Windows 10 Toshiba Satellite - Nothing Works - Similar Threads - Trying Rebuild bcd

2. Toshiba Satellite/windows 10 built in camera will not work ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Toshiba Satellite/windows 10 built in camera will not work ?: Have never used the camera on this PC. How do I test it and sett it to work on Windows-Teams ?Help, Please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toshiba-satellitewindows-10-built-in-camera-will/f2c9d3d3-02aa-46b6-b01c-53ac0a9ec1d1
  3. Toshiba Satellite/windows 10 built in camera will not work ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Toshiba Satellite/windows 10 built in camera will not work ?: Have never used the camera on this PC. How do I test it and sett it to work on Windows-Teams ?Help, Please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toshiba-satellitewindows-10-built-in-camera-will/f2c9d3d3-02aa-46b6-b01c-53ac0a9ec1d1
  4. Toshiba Satellite/windows 10 built in camera will not work ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows not launching and rebuilding BCD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not launching and rebuilding BCD: This one is a stickler and every possible solution has been combatted with no path found or no file specified. I needed to use my PC's CD driver to play a disk to install a driver for a wifi adpater. My PC does not have a spare SATA cord so I had to unplug the SSD and plug...
  6. Windows not launching and rebuilding BCD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not launching and rebuilding BCD: This one is a stickler and every possible solution has been combatted with no path found or no file specified. I needed to use my PC's CD driver to play a disk to install a driver for a wifi adpater. My PC does not have a spare SATA cord so I had to unplug the SSD and plug...
  7. Windows not launching and rebuilding BCD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Toshiba satellite laptop windows 10

Toshiba satellite laptop windows 10: A corrupt update is in my restore and I cant restore or do anything because it wipe out my computer but i can still get on it what can i do to fix it Toshiba satellite laptop...
  9. Toshiba satellite windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Toshiba satellite windows 10: f9 & f10 don't control sound up and down since small crash HELP! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toshiba-satellite-windows-10/991b5441-2cfe-4b00-88b6-5bd837be5119
  10. Trying to install Windows Update 1803 on a Toshiba Satellite

Trying to install Windows Update 1803 on a Toshiba Satellite: I am trying to install the Windows Update 1803 on a Toshiba Satellite E45t-B4204. First it was erroring out with code Download Error 0x80244018, after restarting the computer it had taken 24 hours to process through, and now it appears to be stuck at downloading 100% ....