Windows 10: Trying to recover Windows from USB, flashing dots across middle of screen

Discus and support Trying to recover Windows from USB, flashing dots across middle of screen in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Recently one of our computers froze up near the end of an update and now refuses to boot. When attempting a normal boot, when the computer gets to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Pithecanthropus, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Trying to recover Windows from USB, flashing dots across middle of screen

Recently one of our computers froze up near the end of an update and now refuses to boot. When attempting a normal boot, when the computer gets to the OEM logo screen, it displays the message "Preparing Automatic Repair" and then nothing happens, except for the endlessly circling dots being displayed. Using another, identical ASUS notebook, I generated a recovery USB using the download link offeredhere.

After downloading the link and using the file to create boot files on the USB drive, I have been attempting to recover the crashed computer but so far without success. With the USB stick inserted, the UEFI screen allows me to choose either UEFI or non UEFI-based recovery these computers run UEFI, not BIOS. When I try the UEFI option, I get the graphic slanted blue Windows logo no verbiage, just a sort of slanted blue Window, and after a few seconds of that the screen goes dark and shows small flashing dots across the middle of the screen horizontally, a little more than halfway up. Here's a still photo:

Trying to recover Windows from USB, flashing dots across middle of screen 8842f51b-b542-4fca-82d4-e2b3b219ec20?upload=true.jpg

Note, the screen actually appears nearly uniformly dark; the brightening effect in the lower part of it originated in my phone camera's sensor.

What might be my next steps? Will this eventually finish what it's supposed to do? Should I let it continue?

Or should I let it run the battery down so the computer is fully depowered, and try again? Note, I cannot remove the battery.

:)

Pithecanthropus, Oct 1, 2020
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Oct 1, 2020
Thema:

Trying to recover Windows from USB, flashing dots across middle of screen

1. Trying to recover Windows from USB, flashing dots across middle of screen - Similar Threads - Trying recover USB

2. Black screen with dotted white line across the top - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen with dotted white line across the top - Windows 11: Hello,I am getting a black screen with a dotted line across the top white hyphens that does not respond to any keys or actions. I sometimes get this after I've been using my laptop for a few hours, but am now experiencing this numerous times when trying to wake up my computer...
  3. Black screen with dotted white line across the top - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen with dotted white line across the top - Windows 11: Hello,I am getting a black screen with a dotted line across the top white hyphens that does not respond to any keys or actions. I sometimes get this after I've been using my laptop for a few hours, but am now experiencing this numerous times when trying to wake up my computer...
  4. Trying to recover usb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to recover usb drive: USB drive does not appear in file manager.In Disk management, drive is not in top listHowever, in a lower box it is listed as disk 1, online, active partition, working properly. But when I try to assign a drive letter, it says "error: File not found." When I try to format, it...
  5. Trying to recover files from a failed Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to recover files from a failed Flash Drive: Ok here's my situation. Back in late August early September I had a flash drive fail and unfortunately it was the most important flash drive I had. It contained music writing and artwork I created among other things over the last several years. It seems to have started when I...
  6. My screen is flashing red dots and lines.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My screen is flashing red dots and lines.: My screen is flashing red dots and lines. It's been going on especially when in dark areas and they keep flashing, what do I do because it's very aggravating....
  7. Recover USB Flash Drive

Recover USB Flash Drive: I have a 64gb Samsung Bar Plus flash drove and made it a windows boot key, now that I don't want it as a boot key I cannot turn it back. I have looked it up and it says to plug it it and right click then click format, I tried that and I did not know what to format it as and...
  8. flashing opaque dots across top of screen and cursor keeps jumping around

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    flashing opaque dots across top of screen and cursor keeps jumping around: flashing opaque dots across top of screen and cursor keeps jumping around folllwed and tried all - nothing works its a surface pro 6 - 2 yrs old...
  9. Dotted horizontal line appears/flashes across my screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dotted horizontal line appears/flashes across my screen: A dotted line flashes across my screen every 2 seconds, at the bottom of my screen, a little over the taskbar. The part of the screen under it also kind of jiggles, it appears during startup as well, the first time this happened, it went away by itself after a while, but...
  10. Is it possible to recover deleted files from USB flash drivers

Is it possible to recover deleted files from USB flash drivers: In my family we have only one 16GB USB flash drive.We also have another really big one,but its not practical since its big and cannot plug into PC that easy.My last PC got infected by unknown malware so it was not functional anymore. Luckily all of its important files were...